Talk

Advanced search

Petite ball gowns?

(9 Posts)
MackerelOfFact Fri 19-Oct-12 07:15:25

Argh, help! I have a work 'do' in just under 2 weeks, and it transpires that I need some kind of ball gown. Problem is, I'm just shy of 5ft 2in and anything vaguely nice flippin' drowns me.

I don't like bling (sequins, diamantes, studs, beads), would prefer something black, and would ideally like to cover my arms. But really I just want something that doesn't make me look like I'm a 5-year-old playing dress up.

I'm a size 10/12 but have 34H(ish) norks. Have tried Debenhams, Coast, TKMaxx etc and no joy. I've recently lost about 3 stone and was so looking forward to dress shopping, but it's turned into a nightmare. sad

crazyaccountant Fri 19-Oct-12 08:50:31

This is a really difficult one, I am also miniature and often just buy a dress from non petite range and then get seamstress to alter it.
m.houseoffraser.co.uk/Minuet+Petite+Silk+maxi+dress/174971884,default,pd.html
Is that the kind of thing you mean, as it sounds like you want plain black?

crazyaccountant Fri 19-Oct-12 08:52:14

I also think this is very classy and will be flattering rather than the typical a line skirt on a ball gown which tends to drown petite people
m.houseoffraser.co.uk/Minuet+Petite+Black+pleat+detail+maxi+dress/170702241,default,pd.html

MackerelOfFact Fri 19-Oct-12 08:57:17

I like both of those, crazyaccountant - I think I need to get myself to a House of Fraser!

I was thinking about possibly getting something altered if I found something I loved and was just too long, but I haven't even managed that yet. How long does that usually take?

crazyaccountant Fri 19-Oct-12 09:55:58

Just depends really, the one I use gets very busy so can take up to a week and some styles/fabrics adjust better than others. May be worth you trying those two on as an off the peg item might be easier as you are up against the clock a bit!
If I see any others I will link them here!

ZenNudist Fri 19-Oct-12 09:59:50

I'm 5'3 and had a lovely midnight blue dress from minuet at house of Fraser.

MackerelOfFact Fri 19-Oct-12 16:36:26

I definitely need to find a House of Fraser then by the looks of things. Looks like someone's braving Westfield tomorrow...

BookFairy Fri 19-Oct-12 16:49:24

I'm 5' and it's such a faff! I agree that getting a too long/big dress is a good option. Have you thought of a 50s style prom dress? I'm on my phone but I'll get on the laptop after tea and look on my usual websites to see if there's anything suitable smile

MackerelOfFact Sat 20-Oct-12 17:24:32

So I went shopping today and bought this which comes kind of mid-calf on me. I'm not going to get it altered as I quite like where it sits, even though it's not quite where it sits on the model!

I'm a tad worried that it's not really 'evening' enough but I feel good in it. I'm not exactly the most glam person ever. Just got to accessorise it now and hope I don't change my mind...!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now