Talk

Advanced search

If I show you a photo, will you tell me what I would suit? A challenge and a half!

(72 Posts)
sillymillyb Thu 18-Oct-12 21:19:21

Right - I feel awful. Im on my own with 7mo DS so feel post pregnancy blubbery, with no OH to reassure me that they still love me even though I look different now. I have a double chin and am spotty and just generally, feel like shite.

BUT!!!! Enough is enough! So, I have some questions.

1)
I have put a photo of me on my profile.... and am booked into the hairdressers in the morning. What would you recommend? A bob? A colour change? Giving up and getting a wig?!

I am usually blonde but had a fit of stupidity and dyed my hair brown (see pics....) I just don't feel like me, and a couple of people have commented on me "being a blonde" So I think I need to address the colour thing.

2)
I am post baby fat and don't see this changing as Im too knackered and lazy I am a size 14ish, 5ft 2, 34F boobs, blubbery tummy and arms.

I have a very catalogue account and am poor, so can only spend about £400 max and only from there.. What should I buy? I really need to start from scratch.

My days are spent on the floor with DS, and doing the school run for my nephews. They goto vaiiir posh schools, and I feel like the hired help most days. I'd like to fit in, and look classical and pulled together.

Please help. I feel like crap and have lost my confidence, so need some guidance.

Thank you <proffers wine / cake / flowers>

UnrequitedSkink Thu 18-Oct-12 21:21:49

I don't know what you'd suit but I'd just like to say I think you look very pretty, and actually I prefer the brunette!

What (pre-baby) did you like to wear/feel good in?

UnrequitedSkink Thu 18-Oct-12 21:22:22

Oh and your DS is beautiful!

3mily Thu 18-Oct-12 21:25:54

I am going to go have a look at very, am not very good at these threads anyway.

Just wanted to say you look lovely and I prefer the brunette too smile

<Wanders off to look at Very>

Stevie77 Thu 18-Oct-12 21:28:20

I prefer the brunette too, suits you! I also quite like your hair with the layers and it probably only needs a tidy up.

Someone once to me, it takes your body 9 months to go through the pregnancy and the changes following, you should give it at the very minimum the same time to recover! Give yourself a break!

strongandlong Thu 18-Oct-12 21:29:17

I prefer the brunette too. V sophisticated. And you are very pretty. Not that I'm at all jealous. Oh no.

I am hopeless at fashion, so this is just a bump for the more knowledgable crowd...

sillymillyb Thu 18-Oct-12 21:29:44

Oh Unrequited Thankyou for replying... and for being so lovely. Im all teary!

Pre baby I used to work in events and was a workaholic. I lived in my "uniform" which varied from a catsuit dont ask to jeans and t shirts. Very skatery. I was given the clothes though so it wasn't my choice - i just had to represent the brand iyswim?

Im a hopeless case aren't I?!

At the moment I am wearing a pair of skinny jeans tucked in a biker boot with a blouse thats sort of floaty to cover my tummy. This makes me sound more together than I really am. Honest sad

strongandlong Thu 18-Oct-12 21:30:11

Unanimous cross posts on the brunette grin

UnrequitedSkink Thu 18-Oct-12 21:30:46

Stevie77 is right - it took me a year post-birth to even get the motivation to start a diet/move around a bit more, and about 10-12 weeks to lose a stone. After which I felt about 300 times better. Off to look at Very too!

cloggs142 Thu 18-Oct-12 21:31:35

ok at the risk of sounding all gushy......ur gorgeous!!! and thats only 7 months post baby! bloody hell im still trying to get back into my jeans 18months on!! anyway......i think u suit either blonde or brunette, but sounds like ur more comfortable with blonde? so tempting when uve got a little one to just cut it all off and save the hassle....trust me, i did this, and now i look like justin bieber......not a good look. So id have a little bit of length taken off some lovely full feathery layers put it.....thats what id do anyway, although youve got the face shape to carry off a bob too!
very is fantastic...... iu got an account on there for exactly the same reasons as u.....and nnow my ds dp and me are kitted out head to toe in it. ( good baby clothes too)

same question as comment above....what kinda thing did u wear before baby?
Kinda daunting how much u have to change ur style after a pregnancy tho....i lived in low slung jeans and short baggy tops....bit hippy ish....but now my stomach looks like an elephants bum...so ive grudgingly thrown out all the tops and replaced with longer and added layers! lol smile

Pancakeflipper Thu 18-Oct-12 21:32:40

You look cute in your bumbo.

I prefer the brunette hair. You look more classy and younger.
Clueless to what you should buy.

sillymillyb Thu 18-Oct-12 21:32:47

Oooh lots of x posts. You are all being so lovely, thank you. Really thank you - I am sodding crying, I don't think I had realised how important this make over was to me :S

So. Business head on. Keep the brunette??

FaffTastic Thu 18-Oct-12 21:32:56

I prefer the brunette as well. I wouldn't go for a bob - maybe just an inch or so of with some choppier layers to give more volume. Perhaps a long sweeping side fringe?

It is a shock going from blonde to brunette and takes a lot of getting used to - perhaps get some caramel highlights if you want to go a bit lighter?

lovethesun1 Thu 18-Oct-12 21:33:03

I know this won't help,cos its how you feel yourself that matters, but you really are very pretty! & where's your double chin?! That's a very poor effort at one smile

I agree with skink & much prefer brunette,goes with your colouring. Wld you consider some auburn/chestnut colours to break it up? Might give you the 'lift' blond does?

& dunno about clothing-but there are some great posters on here that have mentioned some style blogs (shld come up in a search) that have given me some ideas. Just need to implement them now.....

LittlePandaBear Thu 18-Oct-12 21:33:39

Brunette definitely suits you better, you look younger and more natural. You could always try a few highlights if you wanted a change without it being drastic?

I would also just suggest that if you're feeling poor then don't spend £400 on clothes, you'll only feel worse when you have to pay it all back. Maybe spend £100 on some new things to give you a lift and then more in a few months if you have money - tell family that you want clothes for xmas!

I'm sure someone can help with suggestions soon.

lovethesun1 Thu 18-Oct-12 21:34:55

Haha x posted with you all! Agree about considering a choppy fringe too.

cocobongo Thu 18-Oct-12 21:36:32

do you really need to use very? don't know much about them, but the image i have is more frumpy. if i was you, i would spend less money if you are skint but in cheaper / more fashionable shops. so instead of paying £400 in one go at very and then paying it off over time, i would pick up a few cheaper items over the period- ie spread the purchases rather than spread the payments of one big splash. catalogues are usually a pretty expensive way of buying things.

sillymillyb Thu 18-Oct-12 21:37:20

HA! Yes, my tummy is also reminiscent of an elephants bum!!

I keep x posting - thank you all. I really appreciate this (ps photo's are deffo going poof soon. Im all self conscious!)

As for what I feel comfy in - things that hide my tummy but that are slimming - if its too floaty, I feel worse for some reason. I don't own a decent bottom half of anything - none of my jeans fit, and I have muffin top. I have been living in v necks with a vest underneath but Im bored of that, and feel like it doesn't really do anything for me.

TiggerWearsATriteSmile Thu 18-Oct-12 21:40:13

Stay brunette, few layers, not a bob you look fab.
Stay away from floaty tops.
They will make you look and feel pregnant.

You really need to try on things. I would say you're Buying too big thinking you are soft/rotund.
Try on more structured things you will start to look and feel less mumsy.

colditz Thu 18-Oct-12 21:42:03

Keep the brunette, consider some coppery highlights, and wop a couple of inches off the length.

Your make up on the brunette photo is still very 'blonde' - I think you should try a pinky neutral lipstick, but not a pale one, it must be slightly darker than your lips, and some peachy blusher on the apples of your cheeks.

Hope that helps!

BafanaThesober Thu 18-Oct-12 21:45:38

Definitely stay brunette, totally suit it.
Get it cut into a shape that you can't throw up into a pony tail. Coz if you are like me, that's what you inevitably do. And I think that you look very pretty with your hair down.

Why not get yourself the 30 day shred dvd, huge boost to your self esteem just getting a little bit of exercise, and you can fit it around your baby (who is super cute) and the added bonus of toning up too!

colditz Thu 18-Oct-12 21:46:26

shade 11 lipstick, shade 4 blusher

sillymillyb Thu 18-Oct-12 21:46:31

Ok, am thinking keep the brunette but with some sort of highlights / low lights / caramel thingies put in? Thats so strange that you all prefer the brunette - I felt like it was a total disaster! Will deffo consider choppy fringe, I have never had one before (a fringe) so that will prob make me feel like I've done something different even if I don't touch the style / length.

Clothes wise.... I have the money to pay off the Very account in Jan so was happy well, as happy as you can be to put the money onto there till then. I don't know if I could justify "proper" shopping with real money at the mo, as I'd feel like it was money I wasn't spending on ds iyswim? For some reason paying it off as a bill feels different!

colditz Thu 18-Oct-12 21:47:26

Shit no not that! Hang on

shade eleven lippy, shade four blusher

sillymillyb Thu 18-Oct-12 21:47:28

Ahhh loads of x posts again, sorry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now