Talk

Advanced search

I have a chin length straight bob. What do I need to make it into a tousled bob?

(19 Posts)
LauraPashley Thu 18-Oct-12 20:41:32

I'm thinking I need a product? I am rubbish at GHD curling, and don't really want curls anyway, more of a messy look? Being out in the wind and rain today partially achieved it for me but don't think I can use that as an every day styling technique!

MrsRogerSterling Thu 18-Oct-12 20:58:08

Long layers and seasalt spray would work. Does your hair have a natural wave if left to dry itself?

Hopefully Thu 18-Oct-12 21:16:47

I use a Redken powder called something-grip. It is magic I tell you. Instant tousled bob, and my hair is super sleek and straight the rest of the time. I also use a bit of another Redken product - tousle whip, I think - to define ends a bit.

Hopefully Thu 18-Oct-12 21:18:44

Just checked, it is rather unimaginatively called 'powder grip'

LauraPashley Thu 18-Oct-12 23:20:19

Ooh thank you! I wouldn't go so far as to say it had a wave, but it is def not straight. More of a kink! What is seasalt spray?

I've used redken straightening stuff before and loved it, will investigate the powder, thank you! How do you dry it? Your hair I mean, is it as simple as drying it roughly?

WinklyFriedChicken Thu 18-Oct-12 23:25:29

Schwartzkopf got2b volumising powder is pretty good at making my poker straight boring hair look big & a bit tousled

JuliaFlyte Thu 18-Oct-12 23:27:19

You need layers for the tousled look

Hopefully Fri 19-Oct-12 07:50:16

I dry mine 'properly' (tucked under with a brush and drier) the tousle it up - if I dry it roughly it just looks scruffy and unkempt instead of artfully just rolled out of bed, iykwim. Then I add powder and gloop.

Incidentally, I don't really have any layers, just very slight graduation and my bob is very angled from back to front, and I don't struggle with scruffy now I have the right products - I have never managed it until these Redken products.

XiCi Fri 19-Oct-12 08:39:04

Has anyone tried wave tongs? They look promising for this kind of beach curl look

MadAboutHotChoc Fri 19-Oct-12 08:50:23

You could do what I do with my DD - twist strands of damp hair and then pin it to your head and after a few hours (or in the morning), remove pins and presto wavy hair without the use of chemicals/tongs etc.

AgathaFusty Fri 19-Oct-12 09:14:48

XiCi - I bought a set of those wave things. My hair is shoulder length, long layers, natural curl/wave but I usually straighten it daily.

I looked like Wendolene out of Wallace and Gromit, only a bit wavier - here

SalmonRusty Fri 19-Oct-12 09:21:36

I have the bizarrely named Redken wool shake gel slush - it was great when I had a chin length bob for giving it texture and volume and 'grip'. It's quite mattifying though.

XiCi Fri 19-Oct-12 09:35:18

Haha Agatha. That wasnt quite the look I was hoping for!

AgathaFusty Fri 19-Oct-12 10:43:08

XiCi - no, it wasn't quite the look I was going for either grin

Jaeme Fri 19-Oct-12 13:17:17

I have the enrapture Amplify jumbo waver, I like it but you have to be careful up near the roots or you get an obvious line so I only tend to use it close to the root underneath then on about 2/3 on top section.
I use it on roughly dried hair then follow with salt spray and it looks like beach / surf hair but not sure that's the kind of style OP is going for

AgathaFusty Fri 19-Oct-12 13:24:58

Does the salt spray make you hair feel dry?

3mily Fri 19-Oct-12 13:25:14

Sea salt here too. Love the stuff. Either Bumble and Bumble or Umberto Giannini (cheaper, in boots and I like the smell of it.)

Jaeme Fri 19-Oct-12 13:56:50

I don't think it makes it feel dry but if you use too much in one area without running your fingers through it will feel crunchy and tangled. And obviously use a heat protector spray if you use the waver. I also use bumble and bumble mending mask once a week just to make sure the heat styling doesn't cause damage.

I've used salt / texturising sprays for years ( started off with beach blonde ocean waves - I miss that stuff so much) and experimented with a few different ones, best ones I've found so far are bumble & bumble surf spray and Charles worthington front row sea salt spray.

LauraPashley Fri 19-Oct-12 20:38:37

AIBU to be drooling a bit at the thought of all these products to try?!

Would salt water spray and pinning up work I wonder?

hopefully do you just tousle with your fingers? My budget won't stretch to anything I need to plug in!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now