Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Epilators, calling all those who epilate at home

(21 Posts)
devientenigma Thu 18-Oct-12 17:06:17

I need tips as I don't think it agrees with me. I am a 40 something whose legs are going all reddy goosebumpy as soon as I do it, some areas calm down but others don't!!

What and where am I going wrong!!??

Help TIA x

sarahseashell Thu 18-Oct-12 17:47:43

have you got one of the ones you can use in the bath?

chipsandpeas Thu 18-Oct-12 17:50:21

cocoa butter creams works great for me after epilating, calms the areas down quickly

RedBushedT Thu 18-Oct-12 18:00:51

Exfoliate thoroughly & often. The more you do it, the weaker the hair roots get and the red spots stop happening

scripsi Thu 18-Oct-12 19:25:19

could someone recommend an epilator - apologies for hijack but I just got mightily hacked off after my waxing appointment happened 45 minutes late. Epilation is my future.

crazyaccountant Thu 18-Oct-12 20:17:14

I have the predecessor to this new model
m.boots.com/mt/www.boots.com/en/Braun-Silk-epil-Epilator-7681WD-Wet-Dry_1043426/
I think it's excellent, I use it when in the bath so pores are more open and I don't think it hurts, more of an irritating tickle really. I have eczema which I now realise was being really aggravated by waxing and now find using the epilator much better for my skin, red just after use but fine the next day and much slower regrowth. May seem expensive up front but its only the equivalent of a few waxing sessions and will last a good few years if looked after!

scripsi Thu 18-Oct-12 20:26:47

ooh that looks nice. Is Braun best?

RedBushedT Thu 18-Oct-12 20:37:50

I've had a Braun that was great & now I've got a Philips which is also great.
I love my epilator.

daimbardiva Thu 18-Oct-12 21:02:12

I've just got a new Braun - the wet and dry one and it's fab, so much better than my old one. Definitely be consistent and epilate every week - it gets easier and easier, and yes to the exfoliating too.

I would never go back to waxing now!

kissyfur Thu 18-Oct-12 21:09:12

Do they hurt as much I think they would? Is it worse than waxing? I had my legs waxed once - never again!

AKissIsNotAContract Thu 18-Oct-12 21:10:36

Don't do your fanny. I got my flap caught up in the roller. It was very painful.

RedBushedT Thu 18-Oct-12 21:52:00

I do everywhere. Yes everywhere wink
Just hold skin taught & remove the safety guard for the delicate bits.
It's no worse than a bad wax

ZenNudist Thu 18-Oct-12 21:56:48

I have the Braun one up thread but I find it leaves my legs less smooth than waxing. Does anyone else find this? Also I've got quite long hair now on my legs so I'm thinking It will be more painful to epilate. I'm thinking I'll just save epilating for holidays and emergencies.

AlreadyScone Thu 18-Oct-12 22:02:59

daimbardiva is right. Little & often is the key. First try (or first try for a while!) can be sore and a bit... bloody. Don't be discouraged. I have a quick whizz over everything once a week and a thorough do every fortnight.

maristella Thu 18-Oct-12 22:16:39

You will get used to it! At first I was noly able to stand about a square inch at a time. wine helps smile

I have epilated my legs, upper lip (took a chunk out of it - ouch!) and my bikini line. Bikini line hurt like hell, I'm not going to lie!

devientenigma Thu 18-Oct-12 22:35:02

dare I say it, the pains fine, I'm more worried about the mess it's making of my legs lol. They seem rougher and bumpier in places. I have done my armpits and upeer lip with no probs but the bottom half of my legs do seem to be the issue and the outside part more than the inside. I was doing them every week but then thought I would give it a rest, let the hair grow and try again. No sooner have I started, all goosebumpy and red. Plus they don't look smooth and silky (ish) any more!!

MrsPinotGrigio Thu 18-Oct-12 22:42:06

I use the Braun wet & dry one & use loads of Aloe Vera cream afterwards. Still have my bikini line waxed tho & the beautician I go to recommended the Aloe Vera cream - they use a gel but I haven't found one I like yet.

maristella Thu 18-Oct-12 22:46:09

When you do your upper lip don't push your lip out with your tongue IYKWIM, as that is how I took the skin off. I had a lovely scab on a date confused

My legs don't get on brilliantly with epilating or waxing to be honest, but sometimes I let the hair grow too long to be shaved blush

Jaeme Fri 19-Oct-12 07:52:53

The wet and dry one you can use in the bath with shower gel or shave foam, it might just be placebo but I think it doesn't nip as much with shower gel.

It really only is a slight nip no worse than waxing - IMO it hurts less than waxing and I'm a wuss. It's like ripping off a plaster though if you go slow it hurts more so you have to do quick strokes.

MeFour Fri 19-Oct-12 07:55:45

I don't find it works in the wet. I mean the thing doesn't blow up or anything but it doesn't grab the hairs very well.

Another vote for the silk epil.
I don't do bikini like though I have been known to pluck with tweezers

tabbycat15 Fri 19-Oct-12 15:15:04

I am a beauty therapist & see a lot of clients coming back to waxing or shaving due to bad ingrown hairs. I've geard that it seems more painful than waxing but maybe doing it weekly would mean all the hair growth stages will come through at different times so less hair to do each week. I think that you do end up with bumpy skin & waxing removes the dead layer of skin so feels more smoother after.

I would recommend using an after wax lotion or a tea tree cream afterwards as the hair follicle is open to infection & it will also help with an initial redness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now