Talk

Advanced search

Tell me about blusher. Assume I know NOTHING!

(21 Posts)
Whenisitmysleepytime Thu 18-Oct-12 17:05:45

blush

I have never used it. I don't know what to do with it. Or how to choose a shade - they all look so strong!
I think I need them tho as I am looking rather washed out ATM.

Educate me please! blush

Sleepyfergus Thu 18-Oct-12 17:43:18

Ooh, I'm interested in this too! Bump!

minipie Thu 18-Oct-12 17:50:57

I love blusher, a tiny amount makes such a difference to how I look. I am no expert but here is what I (think I) know:

3 basic kinds: powder, cream and stain.

Cream is freshest looking. Powder is easiest to build up gradually. With either, start with a tiny amount, blend really really well, and add more as required. Always apply in natural light if you can - bright artificial light will wash out the colour so may lead to you overdoing it by mistake.

Stain is IMO only for the experienced - though Benefit's Benetint and Posietint are supposed to be reasonably easy to use.

It should go on the "apple" of your cheek - smile, and see where the cheek rounds, that is where you should put blusher (as that is where would naturally flush when you are hot/cold/flustered etc). But obviously need to blend well (as above) to avoid clown look.

If you wear foundation/BB cream/tinted moisturiser, apply blusher afterwards.

NARS are often recommended as having shades that suit everyone. I like Clinique, they don't do many shades but they are all pretty non scary. The bareMinerals ones and Boots Natural Collection ones are worth a look too I reckon.

Lovewearingjeans Thu 18-Oct-12 18:00:45

Benefit do a lovely powder called Dandelion that you can build up on your face (if you are pale)

jessiegee Thu 18-Oct-12 18:20:35

If you feeling a bit washed out I'd say blusher is a must. If I don't use it I look like I'm going down with a bug. minipie gives a great run through of all things blusher. I have had no luck with cream or stain. My favourite are the lili lolo ones (which I think you can only get online. But they are really fast with delivery. I use Cherry Blossom which is quite a delicate pinky/peach with a little bit of a glow that just makes me look healthy. The colour builds up very gradually with a brush. You only need a bit and it lasts for ages. They do samples as well so you can try a few out without forking out for something you aren't happy with. The proper size pots are £7.95 which isn't bad.

TheCraicDealer Thu 18-Oct-12 18:27:44

I use Benefit Hervanna, it's lovely and makes my wee cheeks all glowy!

FullLegBikiniandUnderArm Thu 18-Oct-12 18:40:48

I'm sure I read something that said don't apply blusher any further towards the centre of your face than the middle of your eyes, if you don't want to look like Aunt Polly. Does that even make sense? It does in my head. (But it also makes me look like an old gimmer knowing who Aunt Polly is.)

ihatethecold Thu 18-Oct-12 18:43:18

Red magazine has a sample size benetint or posytint if any one wants to try before buying.
I love bobbi brown pot rouge. Last a couple of years and is really nice to use smile

Whenisitmysleepytime Thu 18-Oct-12 19:16:34

Thanks for all the info! smile

How do I go about choosing a shade? confused

Fwiw I have medium brown hair, fair skin and green/ grey eyes. I look a bit like Helen Baxendale of that helps.

I have the blonde shade of lily Lolo powder. It seems to suit me really well so I'd be keen to get more of their stuff. smile

crazybutterflylady Thu 18-Oct-12 20:05:23

You could try Bobbi brown's pot rouge in powder pink. It's nice and subtle, as something to start off with then as you get more confident you could try something bolder? Maybe go to a counter and get them to show you how to apply, but yy to smiling and applying to the apples of your cheeks only.

I use this as an everyday blusher/highlighter in one and absolutely love it.

jessiegee Thu 18-Oct-12 20:22:43

crazybutterfly your colouring sounds similar to mine - I have medium to dark brown hair, fair skin and hazel eyes. I use the blondie lili lolo foundation and the Cherry Blossom blusher which both look good. I did have the rosy apple blusher but found it too dark. If you want a bit of a glow I'd go for one that has a bit of shimmer in. They make me look healthier without being too glittery. I think their peachy shades would suit your colouring or the ones that are peachy/pink.

Sparkletastic Thu 18-Oct-12 20:26:35

Apple of the cheeks only for under 30s IMO. Cheekbones at least 2 finger widths away from nose blending upwards to top of ear. Cream blusher better for daytime. Bobbi Brown Calypso Coral cream blush is great for most skin tones. You only need a dab so although it is ££ it lasts for ages.

TitWillow Thu 18-Oct-12 21:09:56

Can I ask a question?

When I have tried to use Benetint on my cheeks, it doesn't blend well, and makes me look very Aunt Polly. Am I doing it wrong, or does it just not suit my skin? My skin is very dry and pale.

I have a peach powder blusher which I think is ok, but I am a bit a of a novice.

PuffPants Thu 18-Oct-12 21:25:07

I used Bourgois Rose de Jaspe for years, a soft dusky pink. More recently I switched to Nars Orgasm which is a pinkier pink. I do like blusher, think its an age thing though.

xmasevebundle Fri 19-Oct-12 02:45:33

You dont smile when you apply powder blusher.

When you smile whilst applying and then stop smiling the 'line/blusher' drops down. So your not really getting any lift from it.

You find your cheekbone then apply upwards no smiling!

issimma Fri 19-Oct-12 08:01:31

I love Nars orgasm - tried it in sephora, bit need blusher lessons too. I used to have a maybelline one, but looked like a clown grin.

issimma Fri 19-Oct-12 08:06:49

Just saw on eBay that MUA blush shade 5 is a dupe for Nars orgasm. Worth a shot?

crazybutterflylady Fri 19-Oct-12 17:11:02

titwillow tints aren't that well suited to dry skin as they tend to stick and look patchy. Maybe you should try a cream blush like the Bobbi brown ones?

I have combination skin which is really dry on my cheeks...I have tried the mango benefit (can't remember the name) and the colour is much better on me but still a bit too obvious because of the dry skin on my cheeks.

Sparkletastic Fri 19-Oct-12 21:44:34

And isn't it Aunt Sally not Aunt Polly?!

musttidyupmusttidyup Fri 19-Oct-12 21:53:04

Aunt Sally surely?

FullLegBikiniandUnderArm Fri 19-Oct-12 23:38:51

Sorry, yes it is Aunt Sally.... I have been exposed to FAR too much Mr.Tumble obviously.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now