Talk

Advanced search

dubarry...

(16 Posts)
CountryBelle Wed 17-Oct-12 20:05:01

Was wondering if anyone could give any feedback on Dubarry boots? Thinking of buying the Galway. Are they suitable for horse riding? Also muddy / rainy walks?

CountryBelle Wed 17-Oct-12 20:05:30

Oh, and farming!!

crispychicken Wed 17-Oct-12 20:24:03

I love mine, onto my 3rd pair now as I wear them to death!! We sell them where I work! I've had the Galways before and now I'm onto the Kilternans, which are furry lined. I use them for dog walking, pram pushing, working in the shop and doing the horses.
They aren't recommended to ride in- if you do ride in them they will wear on the inside of your leg and the stitching there will go- Dubarry will not take them back/exchange etc. They would repair them though, at cost. I tend to change into proper riding boots (Ariats) for riding. I find the Customer Service excellent, but i deal with them as a Retailer rather than end customer.
I have had Ariat Grasmeres before- they are Goretex lined too, but they tend to go at the laces.
Love them. I've had mine on since 6.30 this morning and took them off at 8pm- no feet or back or knees!

Some people will flame then though....

mrscumberbatch Wed 17-Oct-12 20:32:06

Dubarrys are great boots. Fab for muddy/rainy walks/farming. I wear mine mucking out all the time.

No good for riding though- agree with crispychicken.

CountryBelle Wed 17-Oct-12 20:33:20

Thank u for such an informative post! Didnt realise they weren't recommended for horse riding, so thats good to know. Have my first ever riding lesson booked for this saturday, with the hope of buying a horse within a year or so. Excited but nervous - don't have a clue! Am from a farm and have a country-ish lifestyle so boots should def be useful.

Kind of off-topic, but i take it u own horses.... whats the workload like on a daily / weekly basis? Obviously depends largely on how u keep them, but just generally speaking?
Also wondering, if i buy one horse will it be lonely on its own? Will wait to see how lessons go for a while, but just looking to the future.
Sorry for random questions within S&B!!

crispychicken Wed 17-Oct-12 20:57:35

You'll love riding- it's ace.
I have 3 horses, an ex racer, my old retired boy who is 28 and a little Welsh pony for my daughter to grow into.
They are a lot of work-and expensive!!
It massively helps that i only work part time as my DD is 8 months old. I have had all 3 in decent work and worked 45 hour weeks- that was bloody hard! Never again!
Currently I have 2 in at night, and one living out full time. I probably spend 1 hour down the yard on a morning turning out, mucking out, feeding etc, and then a couple if hours on an afternoon riding the ex racer and working the pony.
They easily cost £450-500 a month to keep, but i keep them on a swish yard, so that's £300 per month straight way.
I reckon it'd cost us £200 to keep just one.

crispychicken Wed 17-Oct-12 21:00:08

Sent too early!!smile

But when the sun is shining, your out for a long ride with the birds twittering.... It's brill, best lifestyle ever! And the way my in at night boys start whinnying on a morning as soon as I drive into the yard..... Awwwww!!

CountryBelle Wed 17-Oct-12 21:23:37

Wow!! Sounds amazing... i dream of your lifestyle!

I teach full time, leaving the house about 7.30 and usually not home til 5 so i do worry a bit about the workload. And expense!!!! Living on a farm, i would have my own stable and fields, but imagine that hay, other food, blacksmith, vet etc would be very expensive. Plus tack, jeep and trailer?!

I don't want to make any rushed decisions - i love animals and having a horse has been my dream since childhood, but i'll stick with lessons for now and try to learn as much as i can about their general care. Maybe the riding school might allow me to volunteer to help out with wee jobs?

I'm so happy u responded to this thread - i've been dying to talk to someone like u!

Thank u, thank u, thank u for the info!

Eve Wed 17-Oct-12 21:30:10

Only the posh mums at pony club wear dubarrys... Or dubes as they refer to them. :-). And they keep them immaculate.

I prefer tuffa boots which you can wear for riding, fur or wool lined and keep feet at a perfect temperature. (get the riding version though,.. The sole is different to cater for stirrups)

I wear a pair of toggi's for mucking out, leading out of fields etc and then change into riding boots. Toggis were £100 as opposed to £300+ for dubes, had them 2 years now and just about due a replacement.

As for horsey advice, go to the tack room, lots there.

crispychicken Wed 17-Oct-12 21:39:25

It's a pleasure smile

Had you considered maybe loaning or sharing a horse before you buy your own? My little pony was on loan for the summer, he went to a lovely family and had a whale if a time, and we got 4 months of not paying for him/looking after him.
Rough breakdown of costs for you, based on my ex racer who is 16.2 and worked 6 days out of 7- shoes £65 every 6 weeks, feed £50+ per month, hay £40 per month, straw £25 for a bale that lasts 3 months. I borrow my friends trailer and have a car that tows but my OH has to drive it cos I'm too young to tow!

If I were u, I'd go somewhere decent for a few lessons, talk to your future instructor, maybe get a horse on loan and then look into buying one.
Where r u based? If in north/westyorks I can suggest where to go for lessons etc.

WeaselChutney Wed 17-Oct-12 21:51:43

I have dubarry Galways, have had mine for about 6 years and they get serious hard work and abuse being worn on the farm, dog walking, wearing in town and I have been riding in them on occasion.

They've lasted well, I spent £225 on them at a game fair.

To be honest though, if I had to replace them I would go for for Toggi or something like these.

There's a lot of different waterproof leather boots now available. When I bought mine originally, Dubarry's weren't everywhere like they are now, and they were pretty much the only boots like that available at the time.

I don't think I'd spend that amount of money now when there are cheaper and just as good quality boots available from other companies.

mrscumberbatch Wed 17-Oct-12 21:59:34

With fill time work it's a HUGE workload. I would second sharing a horse etc. Most yards are choking for more volunteers as the workload is huge and can be tedious.

We have 2 ponies and a horse and my SIL's and I all work PT and we STILL can't get everything done! We don't have to pay for stables as we have our own yard, if you want to do shows it's very very expensive. Horseboxes are extortionate (but worthwhile if you're serious.)

Have a go first, don't get too kitted out as if you end up not enjoying it, it's a lot of money to pay out on boots/hat/jodphurs etc to not keep it up.

CountryBelle Wed 17-Oct-12 22:11:52

I really do love Mumsnet! Such wonderful, helpful people all around!

Cost breakdown really useful, thanks crispychicken. I was wondering about everything u mentioned! I'm from northern ireland! Will definitely look into loaning / sharing - had never actually thought of that!

Will look up Toggis WeaselChutney. Dubarry def very £££ :-(

Eve - the tack room is going to be my new escape housework avoidance hideout. Just had a little nosey and seems great!

Thank u again to one and all!!

Eve Thu 18-Oct-12 20:09:03

Countrybelle,,

are you still in NI?

I'm going back to help my mum do all the xmas shopping in a few weeks for a long weekend and want a new pair of boots. (toggi hopefully) where is a good shop in NI for those so she can get them for me.

I'm very out of touch.

Freshbloodletticia Thu 18-Oct-12 22:45:36

Hi OP, I have not managed to save up for Dubarrys yet, but have had Ryedale boots here for a few years. I work out on farms often on wetland habitats and they are really waterproof and comfy too.

GrumpyOldHorsewoman Thu 18-Oct-12 22:51:16

We have a training yard with 60+ horses and I work pretty much 7 days a week. I've had a pair of Dubarry Galways for over two years and to say I live in them would not be an understatement. I wear them practically every day. They are extremely hardwearing, waterproof, warm and very comfortable. I have ridden in them, but only a couple of times - the soles are a bit heavy for riding in and could be a bit of a hazard, you're better off wearing proper riding boots to ride in. I couldn't recommend them highly enough. As far as keeping horses is concerned, you are going about it the right way with the lessons etc first. Too many people jump into horse ownership without any idea of the work required - not just the stable work but the riding too. You need to be totally dedicated, knowledgable and very competent, regardless of whatever else may be going on in your life. Horses can never be 'dabbled in', it's a full-on commitment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now