Talk

Advanced search

I've lost my way with style of dresses to suit me - can anyone advise please?

(13 Posts)
Millie1 Wed 17-Oct-12 11:10:19

I'm desperately seeing one or two casual dresses, the type I can wear with knee high boots and woolly tights, everyday dresses. A couple of years ago, I happily wore a-line tunic styles or woollen dresses a la White Company. Trouble is, my tummy is awful! I'm 5'7, small of bust, a size 10 with shoulders and hips which are probably fairly well proportioned, I have a waist but below that I have a pot belly which must have become more pot-like over the last 12 months as I'm having real difficulty getting the right style of dress.

A straight knitted dress looks awful because my tummy sticks out too much blush. I've ordered a knitted dress from <whispers> White Stuff - finished above knee, cowl neck with a gentle a-line or flare from the waist. Tried it on in store but hard to judge without boots and tights so will see what it's like.

Does anyone have any links or suggestions as to what styles might suit? Knitted or plain dresses are preferential.

Thanks smile

PerryCombover Wed 17-Oct-12 11:44:48

Go to my school run dresses topic and tell me!

Millie1 Wed 17-Oct-12 12:08:03

LOL!

dottyaboutstripes Wed 17-Oct-12 12:14:00

Watching as I have the same problem. Size 10 but huge hideous mum tum. What's that about anyway? I weight the same as last year but tummy has got huge it seems...

Millie1 Wed 17-Oct-12 12:26:36

Are you me Dotty? I haven't put on weight according to the scales but my tummy, oh I despair!

Elizabeth22 Wed 17-Oct-12 14:11:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Millie1 Wed 17-Oct-12 20:52:08

The tunic which I really liked was without a waist but the White Co dress/tunic had a bit of gathering under the bust - if I put it on now I look pregnant blush.

Any advice from the evening crowd please?

LittlePandaBear Wed 17-Oct-12 20:55:55

My only suggestion is to wear body control tights which smooth your tummy under dresses, not a miracle worker but definitely helps me to feel better in dresses!

KristinaM Wed 17-Oct-12 20:56:22

What about one of these wide " hip" belts which in fact sits on your tummy? Would that disguise the tummy under a knitted dress?

Mumofjz Wed 17-Oct-12 20:58:31

GOK bloody WAN has a lot to answer for with his "make a smaller waistline under your boobs" look - i ALWAYS look pregnant

cheapskatemum Wed 17-Oct-12 21:19:15

I remember fashion advice that went along the lines of: emphasize the positive, rather than trying to eliminate the negative (apparently, it's what they do on the continent). So, if you're 5'7", you've presumably got nice long legs, you've acknowledged your hips & shoulders are in proportion & there are many styles that suit small boobs. Does that help? Crew have got some nice shirt dresses that are ribbed over the bust, so then flare a bit below that. I wear them to cover my ample bum, but they'd have the same effect on the front!

Millie1 Wed 17-Oct-12 22:24:14

Thanks for the ideas. Not sure that I could stand body control tights but maybe worth a go. There are just so many gorgeous dresses out there and I look at them and think 'not for me'. Really, I suppose I ought to start exercising. Shall check out Crew too thanks Cheapskatemum. Maybe I should just order a stack of dresses from John Lewis to try (and hide credit card bill from DH!). Hmmm.

eagerbeagle Thu 18-Oct-12 05:56:08

I just wear big pants and or control tights which smooth out my mum tum. It's not going anywhere so I figure I've just got to manage it. A bit of ruching always helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now