Talk

Advanced search

What do people wear to christenings these days?

(12 Posts)
ZiggyPlayedGuitar Wed 17-Oct-12 08:22:04

It's my nephews christening on Sunday and I have no idea what to wear!
I've a few nice going out dresses but its so cold recently and I don't want to look over dressed.

I'm 23, size 10-12 if that makes a difference?

Help!

ZiggyPlayedGuitar Wed 17-Oct-12 12:30:08

Away, someone must know what to wear!

flowery Wed 17-Oct-12 12:35:08

Well, the last time I went to a Christening I wore a nice skirt, top and little jacket, not unlike an outfit for a wedding, and was hideously overdressed.

HTH grin

Can you ask your brother/sister/BIL/SIL how formal a do it will be?

Schmaffy Wed 17-Oct-12 12:35:48

I haven't been to one for a years but I would go smart but warm e.g. Long sleeved wrap dress with cardigan over the top and a vintage brooch, plus opaques and heeled knee high boots a la The Middletons. Then, a princess style coat.

Would that work for you? I always feel that one should dress smartly for any Church outing but I know that not all find this applicable ...

101handbags Wed 17-Oct-12 16:55:21

At my nephew's christening last month most people were smart but not over the top smart (except my mum who always dresses up and wore what I would consider a wedding outfit including the big hat...). Most people wore a day dress (lots of floral dresses) or smart trousers with a jacket or cardi & heels. I always think it's better to be overdressed than underdressed. Everybody looked like they'd made an effort - it sounds like you have some lovely things, so dress up - it's a special day and you'll have the photos for years.

ZiggyPlayedGuitar Wed 17-Oct-12 17:26:49

Thanks for the replies!
I was thinking of this dress with some nude heels, it's a bit summery though and I think I might get a bit cold < talking myself out of it!>

Everything else I have is weddingey or more for a night on the town.

I do have a navy bird print blouse thing that I could team with skinny jeans and grey wedges. Would that be ok do you think?

SIL is no use when asking how formal, she's so vague!

flowery Wed 17-Oct-12 21:35:00

Dress does look a bit summery really, or it would be here anyway, it's brrrr!

I wouldn't go with jeans, but have you got some smart trousers you could wear with the top?

Turquoiseblue Wed 17-Oct-12 22:37:43

Do you have a role? God parent or anything? Where is it being held?
If you re a god parent well then i would probably try to wear something a little formal - not quite as dressed up as a wedding - but bear in mind that you ll be in photos etc., actually of you re an aunt then you ll be in phtos too probably.
Jean s might a be a little too informal, so I d err on the side of a dress or toursers, but leave the fascinator at home.
THe dress you linked would be prefect for a summery christening HTH

Themilkybarisonme Wed 17-Oct-12 22:50:43

Dress is perfect if you wear it with a cardigan or scarf, plus a coat. Ideally a cream cardi and coat... But who has those kicking about?
Love that dress by the way.

With christenings you are thinking of weddingy smartness.

Themilkybarisonme Wed 17-Oct-12 22:53:11

www.janenorman.co.uk/fcp/product/buy-fashion-look-fabulous/coats-&-jackets/white-fitted-flare-coat/14910?colour=wht £65 for the coat would do it, but that's a lot if you don't have it spare!

Themilkybarisonme Wed 17-Oct-12 22:55:10

m.newlook.com/mcs/publish/3414/50561?prodid=258438712&cat=cat20021&name=Jackets
This is better and cheaper but still £50

Themilkybarisonme Wed 17-Oct-12 22:56:50

£40 and another nice option
m.newlook.com/mcs/publish/3414/50561?prodid=264204413&cat=cat20021&name=Jackets

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now