Talk

Advanced search

what can i wear to an interview that is not an interview?

(10 Posts)
tricot39 Tue 16-Oct-12 22:54:08

Bit of an odd one this. I am going for a "chat" with a potential new emoyer in 2 weeks time as a result of a speculative application. It is a creative but conservative sort of job. I don't have a suit and i doubt i would get much use out of one. It is a male dominated profession so i usually wear trousers. After 2 kids in 4 years i am feeling a bit frumpy. I am 6ft size 12 top and 14 bottom. Slightly pear shaped with a long rise between belly button & crotch. My waistline was never good and is now non existent! I am fine boned and suit soft/cool colours. I reckon separates and a killer jacket might be good but trying to get something for my height is difficilt at the best of times and i have no time to trail the shops. Any suggestions??

KristinaM Tue 16-Oct-12 23:04:28

No outfit suggestions I'm afraid. But Some other things

It IS an interview. They wouldn't be taking the time to meet you if you didn't look worth hiring. You must have a good cv -be confident!

If you are 6ft tall then size 12-14 is very slim .

Suits are not particularly in now for most jobs so don't worry about not having one. Separates are the way to go

Are you sure your hair style is current?

You need to wear make up and neutral nail polish even if youdon't normally .

Hopefully some experts will be along soon to advise you

Good luck

tricot39 Wed 17-Oct-12 19:03:25

thanks for your reply. it has highlighted all the problem areas i should work on but di not have a great deal of time for!

i will have a think about separates a bit more.

mumto2lovelygals Wed 17-Oct-12 19:31:13

I interview every day nearly and I have noticed more candidates coming in dresses and jackets or cardigans. My one piece if advice would be don't wear distracting jewellery. I interviewed a woman who had the loveliest brooch on that kept catching the light. I just kept wondering where she got it from and forgetting to write my notes.

I can't help with where to get a good dress from, I am a short arse so have the opposite problem to you.

Good luck!

PerryCombover Wed 17-Oct-12 19:41:04

Depends on the type of role
A decent black dress with a soft tight leather jacket?

I think decent quality trousers and a really great white shirt
I like chunky statement or silver jewellery
Chanel type of jacket or again the leather

Themilkybarisonme Wed 17-Oct-12 20:31:44

Personally I wouldn't wear a leather jacket for even an informal chat interview. But what about a grey or coloured shift dress and jacket in black?

tricot39 Wed 17-Oct-12 22:09:26

lots to think about. thanks!
i have always steered away from chanel type jackets assuming they would create too much of a line across my dodgy middle! should i reconsider then?

PerryCombover Thu 18-Oct-12 00:25:55

Depends on level of job

Director level or consultant level for a potential work chat is def realms for a bit of expensive leather Ime

Those boxy type Chanel jackets can balance out a bottom half. You sound perfect though

Sleepthief Thu 18-Oct-12 07:45:44

Smart, plain trousers and a really nice blouse/shirt/top. Maybe with some kind of detail or fancification around the shoulders/neck to draw away from the bits you don't like so much... You'll probably take the jacket off (I would anyway, for comfort's sake), so it's not as important.

tricot39 Thu 18-Oct-12 18:59:37

thanks for the suggestions!

i managed to book a john lewis personal shopping hour for saturday afternoon so i am hoping that they can work some miracle. i also have got a new nail polish and bag/laptop case. i think i will have a go at dumping my portfolio on to a web package called Prezi. hopefully this will mean that i can have lots of drawings and pictures but only have to take a laptop. oh how i wish i had one of those swanky tablets.... anyway i will just stick with that one bag rather than carry another accessory too.

i think i have steered away from chanel style jackets because they tend to be cropped. which tends to look odd on a long frame rather than balancing out. i have also realised that it is more that my shoulders are narrow/sloping rather than my.bottom half being big. so i think the idea about adding volume up there is spot on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now