Talk

Advanced search

Please tell me there is a hair dye

(12 Posts)
MeFour Tue 16-Oct-12 14:23:57

That actually covers grey hair

Can't afford to go professional. I have dark brown hair, have just tried another dark brown dye only for my hair to go darker except the damn greys which show even more now.
So is there a dye that will actually work?

iMum Tue 16-Oct-12 14:28:32

get a tube colour from a salon supplies store xxx

MeFour Tue 16-Oct-12 14:32:00

Thank you
Am googling
Any more tips? Like which one and do I need anything else?
(Not very good at this stuff)

pud1 Tue 16-Oct-12 14:32:13

Watching with interest. I have grey at the front that will not dye. My aunt has a grey streak that will not cover and I think it might have inherited it

FunnysInLaJardin Tue 16-Oct-12 14:37:02

I have just bought that new hair dye from Garnier, Oilia or somesuch. I'll let you kow how I get on. I have very dark brown hair with about 5% grey. At the moment though I cope with it by using Aveda Black Malva conditioner. It seems to hide quite a lot of the grey. I don't really want to get into a cycle of constant dying so am doing a little test to see how long I can go without dying it. So far I have about 2 inches of grey and it doesn't seem too noticeable

AgathaFusty Tue 16-Oct-12 14:44:58

Henna blocks from Lush - cover beautifully and it doesn't fade. A bit time-consuming to use, but worth it for the result, for knowing that you haven't used nasty chemicals on your head, and it leaves hair in lovely, soft condition.

MeFour Tue 16-Oct-12 15:14:12

I've tried henna. It was messy and crap. Didn't do a thing. I have very thick hair and its a faff to dye as it is. To then find it hasn't worked is pants

BunnyLeBOOwski Tue 16-Oct-12 15:50:47

You have the same hair as me OP.

2 x boxes of Nice n Easy every 6 weeks. With a root touch up in between.

I leave the dye on for an hour +. That's what makes the big difference for me.

Pain in the arse but infinitely preferable to grey roots.

iMum Tue 16-Oct-12 17:29:40

well I use kiloton perfect tube colour with 6% peroxide. The colours are numbered like this 3/0 4/0 5/0 etch and then there are some like this 33/0 44/0 55/0
the double numbers are the same shade as the single number but better at colouring grey.
So for me i use half 55/0 and half 5/0-seem to work fine-obviously you'd need to go look at the colour chart to see what would work on your hair colour wise.

iMum Tue 16-Oct-12 17:49:24

koleston

BeingBooyhoo Tue 16-Oct-12 17:57:23

i have dark brown very thick hair and when grown out my grey hairs are very noticible but when dyed they are completely covered. i use loreal excellence cream in dark brown.

Dollydowser Tue 16-Oct-12 20:05:46

Just remember that the professional ones, like shop bought dyes, generally come out a shade darker than you expect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now