Talk

Advanced search

My hair keeps burning :-(

(8 Posts)
sweetheart Tue 16-Oct-12 10:30:52

Since we went on holiday my hair has been in really crap condition! It seems like every time I even think about using my hair straightners I burn my hair. I keep having to cut chunks off which means I've now also got odd tufts of hair which just look awful. Any ideas why it would have started burning all of a sudden? I never used to have this problem and I don't want to have my hair cut short to get rid of all the burnt bits and crap tufts if it's just going to keep on happening. I'll end up with no hair!

I've used straightners for years and never had this problem - it must be something to do with a change in my actual hair!

valiumredhead Tue 16-Oct-12 11:01:06

Do you use protection spray before straightening?

It's so bad for your hair, at some point your hair will give up and become a bit crap especially if you use them every day.

Try using coconut oil on your hair and sleeping over night to condition it.

I would stop using the straighteners all together tbh.

hedgehogpatronus Tue 16-Oct-12 11:15:37

Maybe the water where you went on holiday was harder than what your hair was used to? Is your hair chemically treated? Has anything else in your styling routine changed?

I second the coconut oil, but first I would do a good clarifying rinse with vinegar diluted in cooled boiled water. Then let your hair dry to about 80% naturally then do the coconut oil, avoiding the roots. Rinse it out in the morning with a very gentle shampoo (dilute this too), condition it well (preferably something silicone free) and let it dry naturally again. Don't brushm just comb when wet with a wide tooth comb, then tie it up very gently once it's dry.

Give the heat treatments a rest, use tiny amounts of coconut oil as a leave in conditioner, and give it some time to recover.

sweetheart Tue 16-Oct-12 13:10:41

I've been using an oil from the hairdresses but can't think what it's called off the top of my head.

I haven't been using a protection spray, I've never really needed it before. my hair really seems to have changed in the last couple of months.

I have it coloured and have changed sylist recently so I assume she uses different colouring products.

my hair is so fine and ugly if I just leave it every day i will look depressingly terrible! perhaps I should invest in a wig!!!

valiumredhead Tue 16-Oct-12 13:13:07

Argan oil?

SugariceAndScary Tue 16-Oct-12 13:20:40

My hair is bleached and I straighten every day except Monday when I leave it in coconut oil all day and let it dry naturally, it's quite curly and fine.

Definitely invest in good quality treatment conditioners, I like Philip Kingsley Elastisizer. Condition it 3 times a week with that until you see some improvement, you leave it on before the shampoo iirc but I've left it on overnight.

Ideally you need to give your hair a break at some point during the week/weekend.

Forevergirl Tue 16-Oct-12 13:50:44

How old are your straighteners?
The older they are the hotter they get if older than 18 months I would invest in some new ones (if used everyday get new if over a year old)

AgathaFusty Tue 16-Oct-12 14:46:14

Forevergirl - I didn't know that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now