Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

I want to ditch the chemicals and go natural...

(48 Posts)
ContinentalKat Mon 15-Oct-12 13:49:50

I read an interesting article yesterday about chemicals in cosmetics yesterday iPad went to work with dh, will try to link later.
Had a quick check of ingredients lists, and I think I will try to replace everything that runs out with a less chemical option from now on.

The one and only thing in the house that fits the bill at the moment is the Waitrose baby bottom butter. I think I'll be buying some more of their range.

I don't want to go all homespun, so what will I do for make up? Mineral? I only had one demonstration of mineral make up by a pushy Mary Kay lady and didn't love it... Is it actually less chemical, and is it any good?

Is anybody willing to give this a try or already on a mission? Any input very welcome!

straighttohellymelly Mon 15-Oct-12 13:52:14

I use REN or Dr Hauschka for skincare. Makeup I use mineral base from bare minerals, but not an eco lipstick although I should (can't find the colours I like). Shampoo is Aveda at the moment.

valiumredhead Mon 15-Oct-12 14:00:16

I use The Body Shop products.

3mily Mon 15-Oct-12 14:31:40

I'm with straight, Dr Hauschka does some really nice cleansers and other bits and I love REN facemasks. Balance me lip balm is yummy though not sure about their other bits.

I don't use natural make up but there is a cosmetics section on a site I use (http://www.amarya.co.uk/) that might be worth a look smile

ContinentalKat Tue 16-Oct-12 09:12:24

I finally found the article again...

www.beingcontent.com/blog/wp-content//Stella-Good-Glamour_Opt.pdf

ContinentalKat Tue 16-Oct-12 09:20:25

Oh, and here's the blog that goes with it - will have a lot of reading to do later as I am theoretically working at the moment...

goodglamourguide.com/

MissFoodie Tue 16-Oct-12 10:23:27

here you go smile
www.yumetcetera.com
any questions let me know

ContinentalKat Tue 16-Oct-12 13:26:13

Well, hello Miss Foodie! smile
I think you will see me around quite a bit...

onetiredmummy Tue 16-Oct-12 13:29:06

Lush have a new range of make up. Its expensive, I bought a lip gloss & it was £14.50 but def worth a look smile

Callisto Tue 16-Oct-12 13:46:46

Body shop stuff can be full of chemicals ime. The main chemicals to avoid are parabens and SLS's. Try Faith in Nature shampoo, soap etc the whole range is brilliant. Essential lip silk lip balm is excellent but not easy to come by.

I have recently tried Boots Naked shampoo & conditioner which is very nice and cheap, and also Boots Botanics range. The radiant yoof serum actually works and has made my skin more radiant. Plus it is only £10 a pop. Make up is more tricky as you really have to pay more to get the same. Minerals are probably your best bet as they sit on your skin rather than soaking in.

If you really want to go the whole chemical-free hog then ditch all of the cleaning chemicals in your house and use ecover products.

ContinentalKat Tue 16-Oct-12 14:54:15

Thanks Callisto, great suggestions!
I have to admit that I have been cleaning with Ecover and method for years, but somehow never really thought about chemicals in cosmetics blush

MissFoodie Tue 16-Oct-12 15:00:13

dont forget your skin is the largest organ, it absorbs (not everything obv), better to be safe than sorry!

also, anti perspirant is a big no no - I now use Soapwalla, it's fab

AnyaJetski Tue 16-Oct-12 15:21:05

Interesting thread.

I've stopped using hair dye and now rinse with a home-made camomile infusion that is surprisingly good at covering the grey in my dark blonde hair.

Pit-rok (sp?) deoderant is good. Holland and Barrett 99% pure aloe vera is great for skin soothing. I use a lot of Liz Earle products but some have a few "chemicals" in.

Just thinking about weaning myself off Estee Lauder Double Wear Light foundation to try a more natural foundation, but it would have to preform really well to make me swap.

alisound Tue 16-Oct-12 15:25:06

Recently I started using vegetable oil soap, sandalwood, and it's fantastic. I'm using it for my hair as ell as body. I've stop using antiperspirant long ago, just washing with this soap and using Nonchalante pads to stop sweat from showing.
Also using Aloa vera facial wash.

Dozer Tue 16-Oct-12 16:53:53

A friend whose make-up looks great uses bare minerals, but v pricey. I use body shop range of minerals stuff, can't remember what it's called, is good IMO.

Superdrug, lush, neal's yard?

MissFoodie Tue 16-Oct-12 17:01:01

m&s autograph mineral foundation is same as BM - I have also tried neals yard, inika, living nature, lily lolo and youngblood

Naturallyme Tue 16-Oct-12 20:26:55

Hi I have gone down the all natural route myself. My husband met me mid 'transition' and thought I was mad but eventually came around after he saw the results. I started buying Bodyshop and Lush mistakenly thinking they were all natural. I didn't actually find any all natural brand so did go down the homespun route. That lead me to doing a number of diplomas in holistic skincare, aromatherapy and herbalism. I now have my own all natural and organic skincare company.

I would read the labels with anything and avoid any sls, sles, parabens, DEA anything with 'fragrance' in it as legally companies don't have to disclose what is in it so you have no clue what you are putting on your skin and into your body.

I use to wear mac makeup (foundation or concealer, blush) and found since my regime and products has changed I haven't needed makeup. As corny as it sounds my skin is what I wanted. Now I will wear eyeliner (as love the look) and maybe some natural cheek or lip stain. I do need to find a natural makeup though for when I want to go glam.

Dozer my opinion is:
superdug-no
bodyshop-no
lush-some yes, mostly no, must read the ingredients, they use methylparaben as a preservative and sls'.
Neals yard-the best of the four. On the whole yes, but not all.

Canalily Wed 17-Oct-12 20:30:53

Hello everyone. I wrote the article that we're talking about. I'm sorry to tell you that many major brands masquerade as 'natural' but are far from it. Two big offenders are Body Shop and Aveda - although they are not alone. I've written more about 'greenwashing', 'pinkwashing' and other sneaky marketing tricks here: http://goodglamourguide.com/2012/06/17/black-marketing/

Any questions? Please ask. I love this topic!

Naturallyme Wed 17-Oct-12 20:56:47

Hi canelilly. I'm going to have a read. I totally agree with you. Most mainstream have jumped on the 'natural' bandwagon and people mistakenly buy them thinking they are buying healthier products.

Dozer Wed 17-Oct-12 22:29:12

Ooh, interesting, so it's like unhealthy food labelling, to trick people?

BustyDeLaGhetto Wed 17-Oct-12 22:44:43

Hello! I have recently started ditching the chemicals too, in favour of a more holisitic approach to beauty. Like you, I was scared off by the woo aspect of homemade beauty but actually there isn't much to it, and its very gratifying to create your own.

I use the Oil Cleansing Method on my face (search for this on MN, you'll be amazed) and make my own rose and lavender hydrasol toners and facial refreshers. Here is a shameless link to my blog...
http://theluckyapple.wordpress.com/
with step-by-step instructions on how to make them. I use Neals Yard almond oil daily as a moisturiser. Since doing the OCM I've found my skin hasn't needed foundation.

I've started using coconut oil for everything (ha! See blog) - as a body moisturiser, as a hair conditioner, etc and that has been incredible. I am soft and glowing.

I recently bought some cocoa butter and beeswax to make my own body lotion but haven't got round to it yet. For more ideas I found these websites invaluable.

http://www.crunchybetty.com/
http://wellnessmama.com/wellness-101/

TapselteerieO Wed 17-Oct-12 22:54:44

I really like Faith in Nature, try to go to your local health food shop, they should have a small but pretty good range of stuff. I live in the arse end of nowhere but usually manage to get good shampoo etc and moisturisers (fsc vitamin E with calendula cream is my favourite moisturiser, have tried others Weleda good, barefoot botanicals also good but the basic one works well for me). Have tried organic/"green" foundation - but never found one that works yet.

BustyDeLaGhetto Wed 17-Oct-12 22:57:08

Grrrrrrr. Clicky for linky.

wellnessmama.com/wellness-101/

www.crunchybetty.com/

theluckyapple.wordpress.com/

ContinentalKat Wed 17-Oct-12 22:59:24

Hey Canalily, just in case you didn't guess already, I found your article extremely inspiring!
Read it on the iPad and it was nearly impossible to find it through google - you should definitely change that.

I am definitely on a mission now, and looking out for fakes like body shop and Aveda as well.
I also have to be careful with fragrance, I love the smell of everything Neal's Yard, but come out in a rash as soon as their products touch my skin sad

Naturallyme Wed 17-Oct-12 23:32:39

Yep keep your eyes peeled. Have a look at this post. I think I'm going to write about the real natural companies and the fake ones.
http://www.uzuri-organics.info/2012/09/if-yours-are-natural-im-bullet-proof.html

Busty be careful with the coconut oil though, you should always dilute it with another oil as this oil is drying on the skin long term.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: