Talk

Advanced search

Bikini / Brazilian etiquette

(45 Posts)
MaBaya Mon 15-Oct-12 11:51:32

Booked in for a Brazilian. Do I really just rock up with a full on bush, then? And they will really just wax it all off, give or take a landing strip? Will I cry?

<wobbling>

janey1234 Mon 15-Oct-12 11:57:58

Never had one before? Take some ibuprofen if you can an hour beforehand. And/or a glass of wine...

Ask if they do 'hot wax'. I know strip wax is hot when they put it on, but hot wax is different - they don't use paper to rip it off, and it somehow shrink wraps hair but doesn't pull off a layer of skin too. I would honestly say the pain was SIGNIFICANTLY less than the normal wax (say a 3/10 on pain scale vs 8/10 with traditional wax) - and well worth the extra money.

Good luck!

Adviceinscotland Mon 15-Oct-12 12:01:16

I've never had a bikini wax before, not sure if I fancy it or not but just how intimate is it? confused

Do they really take "everything" of?

What about the underneathy bits, do you have to tip your pelvis in the air for access?

Adviceinscotland Mon 15-Oct-12 12:02:19

Also what happens with the strays? Do they pluck them like they do with eyebrows

janey1234 Mon 15-Oct-12 12:09:02

advice - they'll take as much off as you want. Some like you to keep knickers on, and just move from side to side. Others think it's easier without (and to quote mine - it will hurt less if you take them off as I can use my hands to keep your skin taut instead of holding your knickers - they were straight off) - just go with the flow. Underneathy bits are the most painful IMO. The good one check for strays with tweezers, the not so good ones less so...

dancinginthemoonlight Mon 15-Oct-12 12:24:23

I had a hot wax a week ago for the first time. I def advise ibuprofen before. It is painful!(apparently it becomes less so as you get waxed regularly and the hair errors get weaker. Took a good 4-5 days Goethe plucked chicken look to go and for it not to be uncomfortable/ sensitive. However I have sensitive skin...

notjustamummythankyou Mon 15-Oct-12 12:47:25

eeeek!

<hides thread.

Mosman Mon 15-Oct-12 13:34:30

Use veet less pain

fidol Mon 15-Oct-12 13:40:05

If its really long it'll be more painful so you may want to trim so it's just long enough. For underneath you can hold ur leg up near ur chin or go on all fours (never went there again!) they'll take off as much as you want. Definitely knickers off I'm afraid, much less faff.

RonettePulaski Mon 15-Oct-12 13:47:10

Not too long, say 5mm max or it'll hurt like buggery

Y y to hot wax being 1 million times better

Mine gets me to lie on my side, tuck my top leg up and hold my bum check to give a 'nice wide spread'. Yes. It's intimate.

IMO the most painful bit is the very start of your labia, Y'know where they meet at the front? The bit that's left on with a Brazilian but off with a Hollywood

Personally I'm not keen on a Brazilian, reminds me of men with that little bottom lip triangle beard thing, they're always weirdos. Font want a weirdo fanjo

TheKettle Mon 15-Oct-12 13:59:09

I think I'll stick to my old lady style 'High Knicker Line' bikini wax after reading some of this.

I kind of feel sorry for the beauty therapists having to get so intimate. Anyone who learned their trade 10 or more years ago signed up for just yer basic bikini line, no touching strange fanjos.... now they're expected to be like gynaecologists with hot wax!

MaureenCognito Mon 15-Oct-12 14:03:13

it doesnt bloody hurt - i dont get this ibuprofen shit

MaBaya Mon 15-Oct-12 14:06:02

Oh God what have I signed up for?

bonzo77 Mon 15-Oct-12 14:14:32

Expect knickers off. A trim helps make it less uncomfortable : I use DH's beard trimmer on the longest setting about a week before. Some beauticians use numbing spray, which does help. Some people swear by nurofen first. I don't bother with either but I am hard as nails. I've not been tweezed but I'm sure some beauticians do use them.

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 15-Oct-12 14:17:40

I don't think it hurts either - Janey gave excellent advice

Northumberlandlass Mon 15-Oct-12 14:54:14

It stings a bit. Doesn't really hurt. I get mine done inbetween Brazilian & Hollywood every 4-5 weeks.

If I am due on, it is more sensitive. I don't take my knickers off (but might as well).

If you are that concerned with getting a brazilian, why not just get a neat triangle and a little off underneath to see how you feel ?

Adviceinscotland Mon 15-Oct-12 15:48:14

So they are seeing everything then confused

Not sure if I can handle that, what if you have a hairy bumhole? Do they whip that off as well blush

FreddyStaratemyhampster Mon 15-Oct-12 16:01:00

But why bother? There's just no point unless you wear itsy bitsy bikinis all day or wave your legs around on Strictly.

You'll just have to keep having it done as well.

koala25 Mon 15-Oct-12 16:15:42

Hey. I lived in Brazil for 6 months and their waxing is mainly done by hot wax, and they do it all over the place :P (including the bumhole). It hurts a bit, but with time you'll get used to it. The result however is awesome and skin gets really smooth

crazybutterflylady Mon 15-Oct-12 16:27:59

I've never been asked to take my undercrackers off and have had more than my fair share of brazilians...I guess for a Hollywood you'd definitely need to take them off but with a brazilian I've always managed with the therapist tucking paper towel into the sides if my pants and me holding them sort of in/out of the way.

Agree with Northumberlandlass...go for a triangle/neaten up first to see how you get on. They'll take as much or as little as you want and that's probably the least painful option. Try to relax when they're doing it or it will hurt more!

Northumberlandlass Mon 15-Oct-12 16:42:42

In answer to above - yes they do 'up the crack'.

janey1234 Mon 15-Oct-12 17:02:00

Doesn't hurt MaureenCognito?! Yes, I concur that now, after several years, it's absolutely fine. But that first time - it did. Not terribly so, but blimey I winced...

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 15-Oct-12 17:30:46

How do they do all underneath with knickers on - I always take mine off - surely a lot easier?

Camelsshouldnteatcrisps Mon 15-Oct-12 19:54:31

I guess it depends on the size of the knickers mrscampbell I used to go in just a wee thong (this is before the DC's when thongs were still very in) and it was easy to it out of the way.

I am going to start going again now that I have lost all of my DC weight, not sure if I should rock up in a pair of full on 'big' pants though!!

MaureenCognito Mon 15-Oct-12 20:04:38

mine on - but thats for a g string type wax.. i dont care if there is hairin my arse crack tbh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now