Talk

Advanced search

Recent purchases - nice maternity clothes

(11 Posts)
DerbyNottsLeicsNightNanny Mon 15-Oct-12 11:46:51

Has anyone bought any nice maternity clothes recently? If so please can you link to them?! I am still in 1st trimester but already starting to show, not due until May so need winter stuff plus spring/early summer.

On the list to buy is:
leggings
skinny jeans
swimming costume/bikini
coat
basic tops/tees/vests (need at least some to be long enough to cover bum)
cardigans (long enough to cover bum and therefore OK wear with leggings)
going out top
black work trousers

I went to next last week hoping to at least be able to find a few basics but was told that they no longer stock matertnity wear and that its all online now?!!

TIA

Pochemuchka Mon 15-Oct-12 11:53:14

I have some black and blue h&m skinnies in a size 12 if you'd like me to send them to you (don't know what size you are)
They're under the bump and although they still fit they are quite restrictive round the waist now I'm 30 weeks.

I just went to primark for basic t-shirts etc cheap and ok to throw away.

Just bought a smart coat from h&m was only £40 and ok quality which is just as well as I'm only going to be wearing it another 2 months!

Pochemuchka Mon 15-Oct-12 11:55:01

Forgot to say that most stores have stopped doing maternity and its all online.

Round here there's only debenhams (limited), h&m, mothercare and independent retailers.

DerbyNottsLeicsNightNanny Mon 15-Oct-12 11:56:06

Ah wow Pochemuchka thank you so much thats very kind but I am onw of those people who needs to try jeans on as I always struggle with them! Non-pregnant I am a size 8-10 in jeans (more often 8 than 10), but when preg I straight away balloon up to more like 10-12 (if not more!). Short or standard leg length.

Pochemuchka Mon 15-Oct-12 12:08:56

They're standard length I think.
More than happy to pass them on and if they don't fit you can pass them onto someone else?
H&m work on the principle that you stay the same dress size but in maternity clothes in the first trimester then up one size for 2nd and up 2 sizes for 3rd so they might be ok smile

DerbyNottsLeicsNightNanny Mon 15-Oct-12 12:16:52

OK will PM you

madamecake Mon 15-Oct-12 12:24:20

Hi, I have a 10 month old and another on the way, due in May like you.
I found last time that Dorothy Perkins was good for skinny jeans, and new look had a few nice tops and t shirts.
Unfortunately as you've found out, a lot of places now only stock maternity clothes online, a real shame as I prefer trying on too. But if you look at stores that offer free returns, and sometimes free delivery, you can order several sizes to try then send back the items you don't want.

crazybutterflylady Mon 15-Oct-12 16:55:36

I swear by boden maternity leggings but they're out of stock at the moment. Definitely worth ordering some despite the wait though, if you have till May to go.

I like gap maternity stuff too, h&m are ok but you need to buy stuff for each trimester which pisses me off! Have a look in mamas and papas for plain tops/tunics that you could use once the baby is here too, a lot of their stuff has nursing capability.

Topshop do a good range online, it changes/sells out very quickly though.

And asos for cheap maternity coats!

FreeButtonBee Mon 15-Oct-12 17:09:05

Boden maternity leggings although order a size down. I am a good size 12 normally and 22 weeks with twins and the 10 is not at all tight on me - can see them lasting all the way

Topshop Leigh super soft skinny jeans in black (£38) - excellent shape - although they do overstretch a bit on day 2 of wearing. Might need a belt. But they are a nice slim fit down to the ankle, unlike my comedy clown Pretty Pregnant "straight" leg jeans. Will probably wash and wear them to death.

I know it's expensive but Isabella Oliver stuff is excellent. I have the Ruched Midi dress in Blue (my one and only going out outfit! A bit of a show stopper but it makes me feel a million dollars), the Eva Knit dress (wear to work) plus a couple of basic l/s tops and one nice striped vest. They are my core maternity wear. Keep a look out for flash sales/discount codes though - I got a load of stuff at 40% off which was a bit more palatable than full price.

ZombieTribble Mon 15-Oct-12 17:13:15

I'm struggling with this at the moment, everything seems to be a bit odd. I know Mamas and Papas have three for two on essential tops at the moment.

Twiglet100 Tue 16-Oct-12 19:45:19

Agree Isabella Oliver stuff is great but expensive. Worth looking out for sales. Got an IO swimming cossie in the sale which was fab. Also wore some of their non-maternity long tops for the duration as they stretch with you. Not tried the Jo Jo Maman Bebe maternity stuff but it looks nice.

Borrowed H&M skinny jeans from a friend and lived in them outside work in the third trimester.

Congrats on your pregnancy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now