Talk

Advanced search

Anti wrinkle creams - Do any actually work?

(30 Posts)
blummineck Sun 14-Oct-12 13:01:46

Hello,

I'm 36 next week, and I'm starting to notice those increasing fine lines around my eyes and forehead.

So I'm wondering, do any of those anti wrinkle creams actually work?

I'm currently trying that Q10 eye cream but I can't notice any difference to be honest.

Now I appreciate all skiin is different, and what may work for one may not work for another, but I'm just after your feedback on what worked for you etc?

They're all so expensive these creams so I thought it best to do a bit of research first. smile

Thanks guys!

xxx

MaureenCognito Sun 14-Oct-12 13:06:23

if course not!

Bunbaker Sun 14-Oct-12 13:06:58

No.

cornsconkers Sun 14-Oct-12 13:07:51

no

Asinine Sun 14-Oct-12 13:11:11

I use E45 lotion with piz buin sun cream mixed in. It's cheap and effective.

Remember as you get older you get long sighted, so you can't see your wrinkles wink

WhatAFlange Sun 14-Oct-12 13:12:17

Marking my place! I'd be really interested to hear what works or doesn't.

Currently using the eucerin hylaron stuff. The eye cream makes my eyes puffy, the night cream is nice but don't like the texture of the day cream. Not much noticeable difference either.

Was thinking about trying no7 protect and perfect.

WhatAFlange Sun 14-Oct-12 13:12:17

Marking my place! I'd be really interested to hear what works or doesn't.

Currently using the eucerin hylaron stuff. The eye cream makes my eyes puffy, the night cream is nice but don't like the texture of the day cream. Not much noticeable difference either.

Was thinking about trying no7 protect and perfect.

ubwlondon Sun 14-Oct-12 13:26:43

Quite like the Vichy anti-wrinkle eyecream, but can't give scientific proof that it works! Also, use a serum (eg Olay) under normal daycream - just put it on the areas you're worried about rather than all over.

Charliefox Sun 14-Oct-12 14:31:54

No, none of it works. Only Botox.

TessCowDirect Sun 14-Oct-12 14:38:41

Well, I've never known any cream make wrinkles that you already have disappear and, as for preventing them, how would you know what you would have had anyway?

A colleague summed it up for me one day, many years ago, when she was looking at an advertisement for an eye cream in some kind of dual pot. One section was for daytime and the other for night. She let out a big sigh and said "how is the cream going to know what time of day it is?"

grin

noddyholder Sun 14-Oct-12 15:06:05

No botox or nothing

aimingtobeaperfectionist Sun 14-Oct-12 15:17:28

I work for a big skin care company and as much as I love their creams, nothing works better than sunscreen and a good hydrating cream. Don't forget, your skin is getting older every day so you can only maintain it, it'll never look like an 18 year old skin.

blummineck Sun 14-Oct-12 15:18:34

grin thanks for the input guys, I suspected as much, oh well, I guess I'll have to grow old gracefully!!

xxx

blummineck Sun 14-Oct-12 15:21:55

Thanks aiming, I do wear high factor suncream in the summer and moisturisers with an spf protection. I'll just keep doing that.

I do get told I look younger than my 35 years, so thats good, for now.... grin

Just wondering if there was anything out there that does what it claims!?!

xxx

anniewoo Sun 14-Oct-12 23:55:51

Have just started on the new Avon wonder cream. Hope it works!

PerryCombover Sun 14-Oct-12 23:59:44

Yes
RetinA combined with glycolic acid works
A dose of Botox is also aces

The rest is marketing shit

ecohippo Mon 15-Oct-12 00:28:19

Hi everyone. I use an organic face serum that a friend of mine makes, she explained to me how they are supposed to work and what a good one has to what a bad one has etc (I forget what she said exactly it was a while ago). Whilst I haven't been using it for too long I have noticed an improvement in my skin. Anything you do use you should give it at least a month as it takes that long for normal skin to renew itself. :-)

ecohippo Mon 15-Oct-12 00:29:51

Oh and they won't get rid of wrinkles but help to slow down the occurrence of new ones etc. Keep skin younger looking so you have o

LauraWolfhart Mon 15-Oct-12 19:51:44

Well I don't know about getting rid of the wrinkles completely but my Monsia cream has certainly made them less noticeable! I was told to get it because of the high vitamin C in it and that it would make my skin glow, so I did and it has lived up to the claims so far, I think would like this one, I had to order it online so you should be able to find it. I have the night and day one.

ToastedTeacakes Mon 15-Oct-12 21:14:21

No, I don't think they work.
If they did, I doubt so many people would pay through the nose for more expensive, invasive procedures.

ecohippo Tue 16-Oct-12 00:47:32

People pay through the nose for instant quick fixes I think, instead of being consistent. That goes for anything, such as lipo instead of working out, eating better etc etc. It is our 'gotta have it here and now' mentality.

Charliefox Tue 16-Oct-12 08:39:52

Echo, you can apply anti wrinkle creams until you go blue in the face and have the most consistent regime out there but it still ain't gonna make the slightest jot of difference to your wrinkles.

PerryCombover Tue 16-Oct-12 09:58:22

Agreed...anti wrinkle is 99% guff. Although they make endless claims about how great the products might be it's just unproven expensive junk.

SPF makes a difference to how much sun damage you deal with so slap it on

Retin A, from a dermatologist, is proven to reduce wrinkles
Glycolic acid at a decent % improves appearance of sun damage etc
Injected Botox relaxes muscles that cause wrinkles

MissFoodie Tue 16-Oct-12 10:28:21

nothing can get rid of deep lines, glycolic peels can soften slightly, aside from this, moisturise, don't sit in the sun, don't smoke and grown old gracefully!

i wouldn't use botox personally, and would rather spend my money on jewellery smile

curiositykilledthekat Tue 16-Oct-12 15:54:40

I have tried every cream under the sun. I decided to try botox 18 months ago and I've never looked back. IMO it is the only thing that has made a difference (a subtle one at that!), and I am often mistaken for being 10 years younger than I am.

I have given up spending £30+ on pots of useless face cream. That also goes for other expensive brands within my beauty regime including Dermalogica, Elemis etc. I am currently using Aldi £1.99 day and night cream which is just as good as some of the more expensive brands I have tried. And also I keep my face out of the sun.

The money I am saving on lotions and potions is helping towards the cost of the botox twice a year!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now