Talk

Advanced search

SETTING LOTION - wasn't there something about it on here?!

(51 Posts)
JodieHarsh Sun 14-Oct-12 09:55:30

I spent about 20 minutes curling my hair with tongs last night - hairsprayed that thing to hell, and it looked amazing for about an hour and was poker straight by the time I made it home sad

I am sure I read something about Old Lady Setting Lotion on here - just the stuff you get from the local chemist for about 1.50 - but I can't find the discussion!

Did I dream this? Has anyone used setting lotion? Does anyone know how to make curls stay?

THANKS in advance thanks

lurkingaround Sun 14-Oct-12 10:09:29

Is this the one?

lurkingaround Sun 14-Oct-12 10:10:30

I haven't used it but it sounds like it would cement your curls very well!

JodieHarsh Sun 14-Oct-12 10:12:34

Whaaaaa...how did you find that?!

This is what comes of doing searches just as Mumsnet goes down. Perhaps I broke it grin

Thanks SO much! I have A DO coming up and need purdy hair...

thanks

Pinot Sun 14-Oct-12 10:14:41

I hated it. Pah.

lurkingaround Sun 14-Oct-12 10:17:39

Well, it was search on MN or watch Jake and the Neverland Pirates (yes I know, gasp, TV in the morning for children, tsk tsk tut tut), so let's say, I had time.

I'm sure you'll be vair purdy indeed.

JodieHarsh Sun 14-Oct-12 10:20:44

Oh no Pinny, pourquoi?

ALL I WANT IS CURLS DAGNAMMIT

Lurk I think you chose wisely grin

Pinot Sun 14-Oct-12 10:29:27

Mebbe good for curls, if you want em stiff <fnar> Just on my bince it was all crispy and stiff and yucky. But on a night out helmet hair jobby, I reckon you'll be tip-top happy. I soooo wanted it to give me soft but perfect hold, bit no. The utter bastard.

Pinot Sun 14-Oct-12 10:29:45

bonce not bince

no coffee yet

JodieHarsh Sun 14-Oct-12 10:31:21

Yeah I like a nice stiff helmet <fnar also> grin

I need BIG HAIR and since I have lost the length <sob> it will need to be all bounce and curl instead. The curse of the Stately Lady is that if you don't have big hair your general profile is that of a walking pyramid grin

No coffee? It's half ten! I've had 2 pints of tea and 2 mugs of coffee and now need a poo

Pinot Sun 14-Oct-12 10:34:45

YY and arf @ stately lady grin You do make me larf. When I tried to be young and trendy, I had a Posh Spice short cut. Yeegods, people would point and laugh at the funny triangle lady. Ne'er again. Noooooo. Long hair + Elnett or I don't leave the house.

BarbaraWoodlouse Sun 14-Oct-12 10:38:40

I love it <Mumsnet sheep> but DH hates it and constantly whines about the smell. Wuss.

No crispy bince here though - using it with the BBH.

JodieHarsh Sun 14-Oct-12 10:41:45

I <3 the phrase 'crispy bince', and will be using it henceforth

Thanks BW - I'm thinking of using it with a very elderly and cheap set of Argos curling tongs. . . think it'll work??

The other thing I was thinking about was them spongy roller thingies. Do yo know how long they have to be left in for? I mean - could you whack them in, then do your make up, get dressed, have a bowl of muesli, then take them out and BANG curls?? Or is that optimistic of me?

Oh TOTES Pinot - big hair is like the whole massive handbag thingy - in comparison the rest of you just looks slendererererer.

lurkingaround Sun 14-Oct-12 10:47:42

And big jewellery. Makes the rest of you look slenderererer too.

I also have a DO next week and am now considering setting lotion <sheep, baa>. Crispy bince is just what I need. grin

JodieHarsh Sun 14-Oct-12 10:49:44

Also right I have a MAJICK JACKET that does WONDERS on the slendererererer front. It's almost a hundred years old (no exagg) and it's a black silk velvet opera coat - the shoulders are kind of built up high and padded and then the whole thing just sort of swoops down in a curve to sort of half way to the knees, and i swear it takes 3 stone off me. Hopefully that plus a crispy bince and I can face the camera with aplomb.

I'd wear it all the time if it wouldn't make me look somewhat attention seeking grin

Pinot Sun 14-Oct-12 11:00:15

somewhat grin

plaingirly Sun 14-Oct-12 13:23:09

I use setting lotion on my hair when I curl it!

I curl it on a night, add setting lotion, sleep on it and just brush it in a morning.

JodieHarsh Sun 14-Oct-12 15:39:59

Oooo do you Plain?? What setting lotion? How long does it last? How do you curl it?

At the mo I'm just using lashings of mousse. I have tried to curl it with tongs but it just wasn't working, so I am now trying out pin-curls as per this ...

I shall report back!

freerangeeggs Sun 14-Oct-12 15:52:37

This is not entirely related, but my hair never takes a curl and I had been trying to get it to do so for aaaages, until my hairdresser used the cloud9 wand on me. They stayed bouncy and lovely for two days.

It's expensive though, so I'm saving up and might get one next month.

MaureenCognito Sun 14-Oct-12 15:53:08

areeet jodie

its me. feelin yummy?

JodieHarsh Sun 14-Oct-12 15:57:02

Ey up Mo! Saw you were out'n'about.

I'm OK now I've stopped drinking Sainsbo's Basic Whisky toddies for my cough and wondering why I was wondering around in a daze with a pounding hangover grin

How's tricks??

Free I shall investigate Cloud9 wand immediately, even though especially because it sounds like a sex toy.

Pinot Sun 14-Oct-12 16:06:52

Oh. So Jodie knew who you were, just me being fick, innit.

Bastards, all of ye. I hope you all get crispy binces

JodieHarsh Sun 14-Oct-12 17:06:49

I HAVE GOT A CRISPY BINCE <wails>

Pinot Sun 14-Oct-12 17:09:55

told you so

setting lotion is an atrocious cunt

UltraBOF Sun 14-Oct-12 17:10:02

Oh noes! Tell us more so we can laugh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now