Talk

Advanced search

Do you wear clothes that you like?

(8 Posts)
plaingirly Sat 13-Oct-12 10:46:14

I know what clothes I like (a bit 50s / prim with full skirts, blouses and pretty cardigans) but every day at work I wear black trousers and a top and at home I wear jeans and a top.

It is crazy because I love all the retro glamour stuff but dress in the dullest way possible. Plus I know that if I did dress up (especially at work) people would comment. Confidence issue too as I need to lose weight.

Am I the only one who dresses every day in clothes that I don't actually like?

musttidyupmusttidyup Sat 13-Oct-12 10:59:18

I like the clothes I wear. Nothing special - I'm not very stylish but think I look ok and wear quite flattering clothes.
You should for it and wear what you like- people will only comment for a while and who cares anyway.
I really admire women who dress with individual style. You go girl.

WinklyFriedChicken Sat 13-Oct-12 11:09:05

I bet if you dressed up you would only get positive comments. The style you like is flattering for larger ladies.

I'm not skinny so don't dress how I would if I was - chunky sweaters, for example, are a bad look - but yes I wear clothes that I like, fitted dresses mainly, skinny jeans with well cut tops sometimes. I will be the same size in boring clothes, but dressed in boring clothes.

whiteandyelloworchid Sat 13-Oct-12 11:30:17

Oh you should wear clothes that make up happy, don't worry about the comments thy will.get used to it

Do you like Julie in corrie style?

mirpuppet Sat 13-Oct-12 14:06:33

If nervous about work -- why not try out on the weekends? Wonderful items out there with that vibe. Enjoy your clothes and having "a look"

Hopefully Sat 13-Oct-12 14:32:41

Why don't you start small and work up? Maybe try a vintage shaped sweater with wide legged trousers, or a fuller skirt with a tshirt. Or adding red lipstick to a normal outfit. Can make the whole thing less scary.

I only wear clothes I love, and I resent every single post natal day I spent in clothes that made me sad.

ujjayi Sat 13-Oct-12 14:51:26

I only wear clothes that I love too. Had a major clear out of everything that I felt "meh" about and now I guess many people would consider that I "dress up" most days but I do receive lots of positive comments.

IMO the way to work a retro look without feeling overdressed, or like you are wearing fancy dress day to day, is to team one vintage piece with regular clothes. For example, a 50s full skirt (google Dior New Look) with a plain long sleeve tee and biker or ankle boots. One of my favourite outfits is a bright coloured floral tea dress with opaques and high heel mary-janes. Vintage "prim" style blouses look very cool worn with skinny jeans or trousers plus ballet flats and a neat fitting cardigan.

It will initially feel a bit dressed up if you are used to wearing plain or dull clothes but after a few weeks you will have the hang on what works for you. Also, whilst you get used to your new look, do not fiddle with or constantly adjust your clothes in public. It will make you look self-conscious and uncomfortable and this kind of look demands confidence and a relaxed air to pull it off successfully. One of the great things about this style is that it becomes so individual. Yes, lots of people work a vintage look but you will rarely see others wearing anything exactly the same as you smile. It is also very liberating - I don't worry at all what others think of my clothes now, I dress for me and feel it expresses who I am.

Two people who I think work retro and eclectic glam very well are Lulu Guinness and Laura Bailey. Quite different in their looks and figure shapes but both totally nail it.

whiteandyelloworchid Sat 13-Oct-12 18:49:05

ujjayi excellent advive esp the bit about not shuffling around in your new clothes
good idea to clear out all the things you don;t really like

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now