Talk

Advanced search

Non-frumpy, non-bank-breaking maternity dress for wedding (that I can wear again)

(19 Posts)
economymode Fri 12-Oct-12 19:15:40

Both my maternity dresses from pregnancy no.1 make me look incredibly frumpy (not sure why I didn't notice this at the time) and I have a wedding coming up in a couple of weeks and have nothing to wear (not sure jeans and stripy top will cut it).

So, dear people of MN, I turn to you: I need a not-too-expensive dress (ideally no more than £25) that I can dress up for a wedding but also dress down for everyday wear as I'm loathe to buy something just for one occasion. And one that doesn't make me look matronly.

Any suggestions?

monkeysmama Fri 12-Oct-12 19:17:11

What size are you? What colours /styles do you usually like?

economymode Fri 12-Oct-12 19:20:25

That would help, wouldn't it!

I'm a 10/12. Like sleeves (bingo wings) and am 5'3" so prefer something knee length or slightly above the knee. I have olive skin, so burgundies and that kind of colour suit me (or so I'm told). Maybe something made of jersey?

I'll be 27 weeks then, so bump is getting quite prominent.

ScrambledSmegsEvilTwin Fri 12-Oct-12 19:25:48

Um... well it's not burgundy (more like pillar box red!) but how about this?

New Look

New Look comes up smallish so a 12 in a tight dress might be fine on you - shame they've run out of 10's.

economymode Fri 12-Oct-12 19:29:39

Not bad, but I prefer a bit more a neckline. Sorry, not meaning to drip-feed, just talking fashion doesn't come naturally to me.

Will def bookmark it though smile.

I'd say I'm probably more of a 12 as I put on a bit in first trimester (eating was the only thing that stopped me feeling sick!)

Will be going offline shortly, but will keep reading replies when I get a minute.

Thanks thanks

MissRee Fri 12-Oct-12 19:31:11

ASOS! I got a gorgeous Royal Blue maternity dress to wear for a wedding last year when I was pregnant! It was a stretching jersey material that had lots of rucking so it grew with me - I wore it in August at 4 months and on NYE at full term (due date)!

MissRee Fri 12-Oct-12 19:38:59

I love this: m.asos.com/mt/www.asos.com/ASOS-Maternity/ASOS-Maternity-Exclusive-Maxi-Dress-In-Grecian-Drape/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=2457783&cid=5813&sh=0&pge=8&pgesize=12&sort=-1&clr=Mauvewood

Meringue33 Fri 12-Oct-12 19:43:40

Look on eBay for Isabella Oliver! Echo New Look too

emsyj Fri 12-Oct-12 21:52:25

I've just bought this lace dress from Matalan and I really like it. It's black and doesn't come in any other colours, but I really like it and it feels quite 'dressy'.

ScrambledSmegsEvilTwin Fri 12-Oct-12 23:18:18

By 'neckline', do you mean you prefer more lower-cut tops?

I've found something very nice on Seraphine (looking for myself actually!) but it's over double your suggested budget. It's very pretty though, and it's designed to be a maternity and nursing dress, so if you decide to breastfeed it will be very useful. So kind of worth the money?

Seraphine

Looks short on the model, but she's an amazon. On me I think it would hit a couple of inches above my knees, and I'm 5'5".

economymode Sat 13-Oct-12 06:25:47

Ooh, those are both nice, thank you emsyj and scrambledsmegs. Yes, by neckline I do mean lower cute smile.

I would like to breastfeed, but it didn't work out with my son. Fingers crossed this time we have more luck.

economymode Sat 13-Oct-12 06:44:05

cut, not cute!

Happybunny12 Sat 13-Oct-12 06:58:11

missree I wore that exact dress but in mint green for a wedding when I was 38 weeks (none of my other maternity dresses fit at that stage!)

It was great, really comfy, looked good (as much as poss at 38 weeks) as all focus was on neckline not legs which was good due to my massive water retention in my ankles!

Happybunny12 Sat 13-Oct-12 06:59:25

However at 27 weeks I'm sure the more fitted, lacier dresses would fit fine!

MissRee Sat 13-Oct-12 08:25:56

They've got the mint one in the sale for £25 grin

ScrambledSmegsEvilTwin Sat 13-Oct-12 09:47:19

MissRee I wore that exact dress to a wedding about a month ago! I never normally wear pink, but it was so lovely I couldn't resist.

happierhigherstrongerwheezing Sat 13-Oct-12 09:51:38

Have a look on eBay?

Dresses like what you are looking for would be hardly worn anyway.

Where do you live?

Jojo maman bebe have sales shops in Newport and London and will sell fancy dresses.often in the new catalogue. Phone them up to see what they have. They are helpful and cheap, sometimes they have a sale on the maternity stuff.

Itsgottabebags Sat 13-Oct-12 10:43:41

I think you should try and get a maxi dress from the summer sales (online?) And then dress up with jewellry and wear a nice cardigan to keep you warm/use a pashmina

economymode Sat 13-Oct-12 11:15:09

Maxi dresses drown me, Itsgottabebags - I'm not that tall! But thanks smile. Trouble is, I'm rubbish at shopping and really don't know where to start. I was thinking something non-maternity, but with an empire line, but again, no clue as to where to start really. The wedding is on the 27th so I might have to brave actual shops if I can't find anything before that.

I'm watching a few on ebay, happier..

There's a JJMB shop in Oxford, where I live. I haven't looked instore, but I did look online and they didn't really have anything suitable/that I liked.

The best one so far has to be that Seraphine one, exactly the kind of thing I'm after!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now