Talk

Advanced search

Is it just me or did Boden just get "sexy"?

(25 Posts)
comelywench Fri 12-Oct-12 14:14:59

I just got the new catalogue and it's all "come hither" eyes and slightly parted lips. The models all seem thinner too. In general it's just a bit more "slinky".

I love it (although I'm not a fan of the thin thin thin models)!

<takes cover from the impending hail of Boden-hater's missiles>

MerylStrop Fri 12-Oct-12 14:16:10

I think they are trying to make it more "fashion"

They'll have a job though, what with all the dodgy jersey printed stuff.

DolomitesDonkey Fri 12-Oct-12 14:19:30

It's you.

Have you just escaped from the mennonites? Quick, cover those sexy chair legs before you come over all in womanly state.

QueenBeebread Fri 12-Oct-12 14:24:34

I'm not a big fan of Boden for anything other than kid's stuff and the basics (T shirts etc) but they do seem to have aimed for "chic" this year - the 50s cut, the Parisien apartment.

I actually like quite a few things for the first time in ages, and they're getting better reviews than normal on the website.

Eliza22 Fri 12-Oct-12 14:27:59

I buy kid's stuff only. I was sending so much back that looked great on the models but looked like so much shapeless sacking, on me. I'm a 14 so, pretty standard but, just gave up in the end. Also, had to wait bloody ages for stuff to arrive!

Not sexier I think, but edgy-er? Not so many models with long flowing locks. I love the blonde's crop. Fabulous! But then, I have short cropped hair myself.

QueenieLovesEels Fri 12-Oct-12 15:09:52

I like the sixties edge. Far less prissy. The shoe styling needs to improve and the bags and jewellery are really boring this year.

Think the colour palette is better. They need to lose that neon coral and that hideous green based yellow mind.More berry tones needed.

polyhymnia Fri 12-Oct-12 15:24:29

Quite right about the coral and the 'poison green'!
I love the model's blonde crop too - but then I too have a blonde crop. Though sadly there the resemblance ends.

BeattieBow Fri 12-Oct-12 15:27:11

it's you. You've just got older.

(like Eliza, I keep buying it, thinking it looks nice and it just makes me look frumpy. )

ujjayi Fri 12-Oct-12 15:28:50

They have definitely improved their styling but I imagine there will be much bosom-hoiking amongst the breed of customer they have been courting with previous campaigns.

I used to really like Boden and can usually find at least a couple of items that I like per season but the last year or so has been shocking and those items which I have ordered have been horrendous quality and returned.

Meggles76 Fri 12-Oct-12 15:39:47

I think there has been a little shift this season in their women's clothes. Slightly more edgy than their usual yummy mummy offerings.

However, the Lou Lou dress I ordered was nasty - neither sexy nor chic and is on its way back to Johnnie as we speak. I am also disappointed with the bags this season.

But I like some of the pointed patent shoes, the fitted 60s style wool coats and the plain merino knits and cashmere knits. I also have my eye on the silk scarf.

And just to say I rather like the shade of yellow on offer blush. I bought the merino cardigan and a scarf in it blush blush. Though having read the reviews, I can see I am in the minority with this.

What I really hate are the little contrast trims they insist on putting in their knitwear. Nice grey jumper - hideous coral trim. Why why why Johnnie?!

MrsSnow Fri 12-Oct-12 15:43:26

They are definitely trying to be more fashion. I still wonder about Helena Christiansen (her need for money, or their need to be high end) and saw an advert in Marie Claire, I think!

bawabod Fri 12-Oct-12 16:04:18

Maybe they are listening and maybe they are reading us and what we have to say about the competition and maybe I just need to sit and read a good crime/spy thriller and stop my imagination running wild wink

polyhymnia Fri 12-Oct-12 17:55:07

Agree with you on Loulou dress, Meggles - disappointing and unstylish - but also on general slight improvement.

Am wondering what 'bosom-hoiking' is?!

MrsCampbellBlack Fri 12-Oct-12 17:56:34

Johnnie doesn't do sexy and most certainly not for mothers.

But their marketing has got a lot better.

juneau Fri 12-Oct-12 18:02:39

I agree that the bags are really dull. I LOVE bags and just went 'meh' when I saw them. There's a lot of occasion-wear, which I suppose is for the Christmas party season, but I never go to Christmas parties any more and I don't work either, so I got two tops and the green Boho dress, which is surprisingly nice on.

Eliza22 Fri 12-Oct-12 23:15:49

Their bags used to be highly covetable. Not so much now.

NerdAmigo Fri 12-Oct-12 23:16:38

That yellow will definitely be all over the sale.

Murraylover Sat 13-Oct-12 09:10:48

Mamas & Papas catalogue was always slutty. Boden going European?

SaraBellumHertz Sat 13-Oct-12 10:00:16

They've certainly changed - the is more that I'd consider wearing now than ever before but they still seems to embrace that special once -a-year-sparkly-Christmas-top which just screams mums night out hmm

Dancergirl Sat 13-Oct-12 11:10:58

I still like a bit of Boden but tend to look more at their website than catalogue these days. You can see the clothes better and read the reviews.

While I agree that a lot is v frumpy/mumsy, they still do good quality basics such as tops etc, plain knitwear and shoes/boots are great.

ujjayi Sat 13-Oct-12 14:58:46

sarabellumhertz am laughing at your "mums night out" phrase - it perfectly describes the Boden evening wear look!

Polyhymnia bosom-hoiking is a physical expression of disapproval where one readjusts the bust using tightly folded arms - a la Les Dawson in drag. Ts usually accompanied by a cats bum style pursing of the lips and a raising of the eyebrows grin

polyhymnia Sat 13-Oct-12 15:30:35

Thanks for desxcriptin - can certainly imagine it vividly now!

Only hope you don't think all of us who've bought pieces from Boden in the past are Les Dawson-esque - even those of us who have large busts!

As far as I'm concerned, any move to make their styling, and their actual clothes, more modern and stylish is very welcome.

polyhymnia Sat 13-Oct-12 15:31:04

Or description even!

ujjayi Sat 13-Oct-12 17:55:44

No fear Polyhymnia I am a Boden customer myself, although devoid of significant boobage grin. However if their styling and design is indicative of their customer profile then I do think they have been appealing to a rather mumsy crowd and I think perhaps their latest offerings won't necessarily appeal. Personally, I have always been able to see through their dire styling and have bought some lovely, good quality things from there and I agree that the reviews - good or bad - are very helpful and I think honest.

MissHairspray Sat 13-Oct-12 19:31:48

They've definitely improved their styling in the catalogue, prompting me to 'go Boden' this season for the first time ever. Am about to try and work out if there is anyway I can style my new cord printed dress without looking like a Boden cliche though - ripped tights and a black biker jacket maybe??smile
Miggles I love the yellow too, at least it will only be us two fighting for it in the salewink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now