Talk

Advanced search

Carol Mcgiffens highlights.

(21 Posts)
kerstina Fri 12-Oct-12 12:42:19

I think they look really natural and the perfect colour. How do you think she gets them? Just wondering what I would need to ask for as I keep getting more bronze,gold highlights even when I have said more ash?

anniewoo Fri 12-Oct-12 18:54:31

You are my twin. I plead , beg and implore of my hairdresser (s) to give me more ashy highlights... To no avail- golden, caramel etc

kerstina Fri 12-Oct-12 19:58:00

grin Ta for answering !!

ggirl Fri 12-Oct-12 20:19:40

had to google who carol mcgiffen was
what's so special they look like normal highlights to me?
maybe I am looking at old pic of her though

who is she btw?

kerstina Fri 12-Oct-12 20:31:46

She is on loose women one of the presenters. Her hair looked really nice today. Yes normal looking and natural looking I managed to have something similar years ago and bleach was involved which I did not mind. Now they seem to use the tints and foils I don't really like the colour as I said to gold ,yellow, bronze. Just want old fashioned sun lightened highlights am going to buy a DIY kit !

ThatVikRinA22 Fri 12-Oct-12 20:35:03

some hair (mine included) always goes brassy no matter how/what bleach is used.

mine just will not go ash.
it always wants to go a more yellow tone and drives me mad.....my hairdresser uses toner but even bleach wont budge it,

Charliefox Fri 12-Oct-12 20:40:08

Purple shampoo is the future.

germyrabbit Fri 12-Oct-12 20:43:00

ger hairdresser to use bleach then tint it, have to bleach to get it really pale though

iloveeverton Fri 12-Oct-12 20:49:28

Would bleach then a toner have that effect?

germyrabbit Fri 12-Oct-12 20:52:02

yes, my hairdresses does that, highlights then tones it, you can pick the shade of blonde to go for, though mine would advise if it would suit or look wrong

nilbyname Fri 12-Oct-12 20:54:13

purple shampoo, I use that and it does work.

I also think...don't fight it, embrace your natural colour and work with what you have!

ThatVikRinA22 Fri 12-Oct-12 20:56:09

trouble is that my natural colour is really dark brown - but i suit blonde, no one even realises how dark my natural colour is!

i should be a blonde.

Tuttutitlookslikerain Fri 12-Oct-12 20:56:53

She hasn't been on for ages before today, so maybe she has been on holiday and her highlights have been lightened by the sun IYSWIM.

Lovewearingjeans Fri 12-Oct-12 21:31:39

I would agree with purple or silver shampoo to get rid of brassiness or orangey tones.

ToothGah Fri 12-Oct-12 21:55:35

Try Superdrug's Colour Effects toner in Cool Blonde.

It's a small bottle of basically blue shampoo type stuff, does three applications and costs less than £2. I buy it for my mum, it takes yellow tones out of hair.

I'll have to have a look at Carol's hair though to get what you mean, she always looks to me like she's been out all night and slept in a bush (sorry Carol!)

kerstina Fri 12-Oct-12 22:07:51

Thank you for that ToothGah that sounds good. I have been alternating between John Frieda lightening Blonde and the toner shampoo.
Thats a good point Tuttut it might actually be natural! We need Carol to come on here and tell us smile

anniewoo Sat 13-Oct-12 18:40:27

Bought a 'purple' shampoo specifically to keep blinde ashy but it gave my scalp a purple tinge grin Haven't joined the blue rinse brigade just yet!!!

cerealqueen Sat 13-Oct-12 22:31:21

Doesn't tomato ketchup keep hair from going brassy?

HoopDePoop Sun 14-Oct-12 00:01:50

I have just a full head of bleach highlights now and they end up ashy, after years of yellowy highlights with hairdressers waving fancy colour cards at me with varied tones, natural colours, golden, blah blah I eventually worked out that only pure bleach makes my hair blonde without brassiness smile I suspected it for a while, but kept going to condescending hairdressers who would insist I needed a 'high-lift tint' along with some other shizzle to look natural. Bollocks - bleach all the way here now grin

kerstina Sun 14-Oct-12 09:05:33

Hoop that is exactly what I suspected too. It might be harsher for your hair but bleach looks far more natural.
grin Anniewoo

OneHandFlapping Sun 14-Oct-12 13:19:50

I envy all of you. I would love my highlights to come out more golden, but unfortunately my hair seems to grab the purple tint in every dye.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now