Talk

Advanced search

Altering a dress - could you help me please?

(5 Posts)
ToothGah Thu 11-Oct-12 21:42:48

I have a dress (well two) that I need to alter.

The problem is that they have a side zip (under the arm) and I can't do it up all the way. I have a wide rib cage and always have this problem with side zips in lined dresses - the gap is probably two inches.

The dresses were cheap and I want to wear one for a Halloween do.

How can I alter them to make them fit around the ribs? I can sew but haven't a clue when it comes to clothes.

The dresses are made of satin and silky netting. I'll share a pic on my profile in a tick if I can find one on the website I bought them from.

TIA smile

ToothGah Thu 11-Oct-12 21:52:28

I think you should be able to see the photos now smile

Annianni Thu 11-Oct-12 22:41:34

I would have thought that if you can get some similar fabric, you could add a small panel in one, or both sides.

You'd need to unpick part of the side seam, and add the panel in there.
And then re-do the zip, so it's attatched to the new panel on one side.

The panels would be like an upside-down triangle, if that makes sense? So the dress still fit on your waist, and the extra bit of fabric was just at the top.

cerealqueen Thu 11-Oct-12 23:41:07

Take the zip out and put in some kind of lacing, (haven't got a clue really), normally for back of dress but it might work

AgeingFop Fri 12-Oct-12 08:56:28

Can probably be done by adding a thin triangular pieces on either side (to balance it).

Have a google, I found a lot of guides and video when I needed to alter a dress for DD.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now