Talk

Advanced search

curly hair and bored with style - your suggestions please?

(17 Posts)
curlyLJ Wed 10-Oct-12 19:30:37

I've got naturally curly hair (just past shoulders) and mostly all one length but I am sooooo bored with it! I need a change, but need something that is still low-maintenance enough for me to be able to get me and DD ready in the mornings.

At the moment I use Curlesque Curls Rock Amplifier, turn head upside down and use a diffuser. I have done this for years and years with different products, at various lengths and with and without layers...

My hair is not really that thick and the curls aren't even - for instance it's really curly underneath at the sides, but can be flat at the back.

I went through a phase of straightening it a few years back but I don't think dead straight hair really suits me TBH and because I was using GHDs so much my poor hair ended up in bad condition and was breaking off in places!

I'd really like a nice wavy, bouncy style but if I go near it with a hairdryer without a diffuser, it goes frizzy and not nice.

Any ideas you lovely people??

otchayaniye Wed 10-Oct-12 21:25:28

marking my place, except mine is complicated by horrible halo of crispy hair regrowth after having given birth a year ago. i want to get it cut but think there's little point while i have this horrid regrowth. and grey hairs i'm constantly dying!

PerfectStranger74 Wed 10-Oct-12 21:36:18

Marking place too. Does curls rock work well? My hair is awful, I hate it. I LONG for hair like Kelly brook, but all I get is frizz. Every now and then I get the whole lot chopped right off level with my jaw, (which I think does suit me, but I need to have it tied up for work as exercise instructor) then regret it and spend years growing it back, hoping it'll grow like kb's somehow. If I ever do have it down, I scrunch it with henna treatment wax and diffuse.

bishboschone Wed 10-Oct-12 22:18:53

I have a bob curly bob. I have very tricky hair . It's thick and frizzy if left to its own devices . I use body shop products for curly hair . Shampoo / conditioner(no paraben s etc ) and curl creme . If I use normal shampoo and mousse I have completely different hair .crunchy and frizzy ... The three items are less than £20 but have changed my hair completely!!!! smile

bishboschone Wed 10-Oct-12 22:38:03

That will be blonde curly bob!

curlyLJ Thu 11-Oct-12 10:50:07

perfectstranger yes Curls Rock does work quite well, although they re-branded it about a year ago and changed the shampoo and conditioner which is now not as good sad it defines the curls without making the hair heavy or hard...I used to use mousse but that made my curls 'crispy' which I don't like anymore!

Bishbosch that's interesting what you say about the body shop products, maybe I should try them. What is the curl creme you mention -is it a styling product? how do you style your hair after washing?

I have heard that coconut oil is good for curly hair, but not sure when or how best to apply it as I don't want a mop of greasy/oily hair confused

bishboschone Thu 11-Oct-12 12:14:26

It's a creme you put in your hair after washing like you would do mousse . It sort of locks the curl in but doesn't leave any crunch or dryness . Honestly you wouldn't believe the difference in my hair . Parabens and silicones are very bad for dry frizzy prone hair . Have you heard of no poo method?

willybreeder Thu 11-Oct-12 12:31:22

I'm curly and do part of the no poo method with some tips online (mumsnet) have helped me loads. These are;
Using conditioner to wash my hair - Frutis Sleek and Shine (£1 in Asda) is great as is Body Shop (think it's rainforest) Neither have silicone. About once a month I do use the shampoo (no silicone) as I feel I need it.
I tried Boots curl creme but it's got alcohol in it so wasn't great, now use superdrug yellow tube (think it's called Sam). It's great (around £6)
When I come out of shower I wrap my hair in a turban towel not regular towel as it dries it out.
After 10 minutes I apply the Sam curl cream, I twirl the curls a bit then leave to dry naturally, Drying my hair makes it frizzy. Once its dry I'm always out of the house but usually have to apply more curl cream so I've transferred some in a small bottle to my handbag.
My hairs the best its ever been!
Oh and when I get it cut I get long layers.

otchayaniye Thu 11-Oct-12 15:12:31

i do the no poo method but have leave for work at 5.30 some days and can't aff about too much and find the whole rewetting creme thing. what is the superdrug stuff? boots is all out of pink curl creme, there's some production hold up

otchayaniye Thu 11-Oct-12 15:14:16

and how much cream are you using on say hair past your shoulders?

sadly, the main issue for me is the brillo pad post- natal regrowth

curlyLJ Thu 11-Oct-12 20:09:37

I've been looking up this no poo with interest. Might give it a go and see what happens.

Also interesting reading about these curl cremes. The only issue I have is that my hair can be a bit flat so I need the diffuser to lift it off my scalp IYSWIM?
willybreeder do you comb it through at all (wide tooth obvs) or just creme and shape straight outta the towel?

I'm more inclined to try and do something different entirely as i am sick of curls - I want sleek, shiny, wavy hair but I have no idea how to obtain this look without blowdrying - which always ends in a frizzy mess sad

willybreeder Thu 11-Oct-12 20:31:25

I usually just run the product through (Samy cream) and once it's a bit dry gently rub my fingers through my scalp to lift up my hair from the roots, but i never run my fingers along the lengths or it makes frizz.
I would also love wavy hair! The closest I get is when a hairdresser uses the GHD's to create beachy style waves. Can't do it myself though angry

bishboschone Thu 11-Oct-12 21:04:42

You can buy gadgets now to get loose waves. Ill try and find a link

bishboschone Thu 11-Oct-12 21:05:48

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B004IO5WG6

bishboschone Thu 11-Oct-12 21:06:20

On phone so if someone could convert please .

curlyLJ Tue 16-Oct-12 18:13:36

Well I have been to the Body Shop today and bought some shampoo & conditioner and on bishbosch's recommendation I also got some samples of the Brazil Nut define & no frizz creme and the Cottonseed Curl Boost to try before I buy... . BishBosch - is it the creme or the curl booster you were talking about?

will see if they improve my hair or not...watch this space!

bishboschone Tue 16-Oct-12 18:16:37

Cottonseed curl boost .. Hope it works for you .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now