Talk

Advanced search

Leather soles- what do I need to do?

(2 Posts)
Cartoonjane Wed 10-Oct-12 19:06:31

I have just been given a fantastic birthday present of some lovely Jigsaw boots with leather soles. I have heard that they wear out very quickly and that you have to do something to them- resole with rubber soles perhaps- before wearing them. Does anyone know please? If they do have t be resoled, what's the point in leather soles?

Hopefully Wed 10-Oct-12 19:59:54

Leather soles last longer (before cracking/disintegrating). The downside is that they need to be covered with a plastic sole, which needs to be replaced as it wears out. So if you get your new boots resoled every 6 months or so (depending on how much you wear them), they should last years and years and years and years.

Cobblers vary enormously from about £3 to about £20 for putting soles on, so ask around and try to get a recommendation - we had a local cobbler who was awful and quite expensive, and Timpsons were better, but where we are now we have a fabulous local cobbler who charges under a fiver and does a great job.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now