Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Post feeding bra?

(19 Posts)
HardlyEverHoovers Wed 10-Oct-12 12:21:27

My DS is 21 months, still feeding but not enough to need feeding bras and think my breasts have returned to as normal as they are going to get. The problem is I'm still wearing horrible white cotton maternity and feeding bras because nothing else is comfortable.
Bought some bras of the type I used to wear (balconnette underwired) which, as my breats are now bigger, made me look very matronly. Not sure what I should go for now? Anyone any ideas? I did consider sports bras but they seem only marginally more attractive than what I'm wearing now.
I am a 36dd I think, and while i don't mind having fairly large breasts, prefer to play them down rather than emphasise them!

BramblyHedge Wed 10-Oct-12 14:12:02

Have you read the many bra threads on here at the moment about sizing? 36dd doesn't sound very big so wondering if you are wearing right size? What do you measure under the breast? And around the breasts?

Please measure firmly underneath your bust - pull the tape snugly. I suspect the size is wrong as it's the number one cause of matronly boobies.

Also measure around the widest part of your boobs, ideally with your bra on so long as the fit is not utterly ridiculous. I (or Sorrel, Hazlenutt, Haunted or any of the others who will appear imminently [waves]) will tell you where to start.

PLEASE don't resort to sports bras, that is a one-way ticket to monoboob!

HardlyEverHoovers Wed 10-Oct-12 19:16:27

Think my bras fit pretty well, my breasts seem big as I am quite a small build. I'll have another go at measuring though thanks, and I won't give in to the sports bra temptation!

BramblyHedge Wed 10-Oct-12 19:21:59

If it helps I am a 12-14 and not a small build and i wear a 32G

If you are a small build you are almost certainly not a 36 - a 36 is actually a relatively broad back. I'd guess you are probably a smaller back and a bigger cup.

HardlyEverHoovers Thu 11-Oct-12 11:58:24

Aah, that might explain things then.

HardlyEverHoovers Thu 11-Oct-12 12:13:37

OK I just took 3 measurements - under bust 31, bust (where the nipples are) 37, above 36.5. Put them in a calculator I found on the internet and it came out as 36A, not been an a cup since I was about 16! Even more confused now!

HipHopOpotomus Thu 11-Oct-12 12:19:39

I'm in same situation as you OP. I think I might fit some of my old bras but I can't find them!!! They have been stashed somewhere.

I did find 3 though on the weekend - 2 are a wee bit small. I'm wearing the one that fits today. It's quite matronly in that it's flesh toned and 'sensible' (I don't actually recall buying it and I don't own any others like this). But I feel rather grand today in that I have 2 proper, comparatively 'pert' breasts.

I feel glorious & am constantly admiring them & giving them the odd squeeze when I think no one is looking. The maternity/feeding bras I've been wearing were really comfy but after 2 years I AM OVER THEM!!!!

Now I just need to find where I, or more likely DP has stashed all my pretty bras. I'm loath to spend ££ on more bras until I've found & tried on my stash.

HauntedLittleLunatic Thu 11-Oct-12 12:25:53

Waves (cant believe I am now a bra size guru...).

Can I suggest a 30EE or 32E as a starting point.
You need to be wearing the same size band as you back measurements. Then for every inch difference to the overbust you add a cup.size.

Online calculators are still based on adding 4/5" which is no longer appropriate for modern fabrics.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 11-Oct-12 12:26:12

The online calculators are all wrong.

You are a 30/32 F or G I think

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 11-Oct-12 12:26:50

What haunted said, I always forget about the double letters...

HardlyEverHoovers Thu 11-Oct-12 12:47:15

Well HipHop, I long for the day I'll be admiring my pert boobs, though I suspect those days might be over for me...and I gave all my pretty bras away when I became convinced I would never fit that size again.
Thanks for the tip haunted, that makes a lot of sense.

Hi, ignore all calculators! You are most likely a 30f- most UK brands to a dd, not a ee, then start doubles again at ff. I would also try a 32dd, 32e etc

HauntedLittleLunatic Thu 11-Oct-12 13:15:09

Oops...my mistake.

Not.familar with the ones that do do double.

SorrelForbes Thu 11-Oct-12 13:59:03

<waves at SC and Haunted> You all beat me here grin

HipHopOpotomus Thu 11-Oct-12 15:11:05

It's a rather 60's style bra - they are very pert on the outside (marshmallows on the inside).

Hey it's all about appearance post 45 smile

Hey Haunted

Sorry my response earlier was really short - typing on phone. Most brand seem to go AA,A,B,C,D,DD,E,F,FF,G,GG,H,HH,J,JJ........there are exceptions though.

(btw an AA doesn't count when you are doing your cup size counting - it's basically <1" difference)

HardlyEverHoovers Fri 19-Oct-12 15:45:00

Hi folks, just wanted to thank you for the good advice, I ordered a 32G over the internet and am now basking in the comfort of a well fitting bra! Definitely good advice RE not adding inches on to the underbust measurement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now