Talk

Advanced search

Argan oil for the face - is it worth it?

(26 Posts)
Tamisara Wed 10-Oct-12 12:11:25

I have having spent too much time perusing this board used EVCO, sweet almond oil, avocado oil, vitamin E oil, rosehip oil and castor oil. I love the coconut, vitamin E, and sweet almond oil, and hate the castor oil (far too drying).

I'm quite happy with alternating using the oils on rotation at night (I use the coconut oil for cleansing), but in the never-ending quest for something better, the HG of oils, I am considering buying Argan oil. In Holland & Barrett it is currently half price, and there is no way I could afford it otherwise.

My question is - is it really worth it?

My skin is very, very dry, yet I do suffer from hormonal breakouts. I have found that almond is fine, and when I need an extra moisture boost, the vitamin E oil, or avocado provide this, so is there any reason to add yet another oil?

Tamisara Wed 10-Oct-12 19:45:25

Bump

BinAndScones Wed 10-Oct-12 20:18:00

I would also like to know about Argan oil, does it work on deep lines? I have cavernous "elevens" grin

Lozislovely Wed 10-Oct-12 20:48:13

I found some argan oil cleanser in tk maxx for £4.99! Thought I'd give it a go at that price.

I have typically combination skin which switches depending on time of the month! I have to say that in the two weeks I've been using it my skin has definitely improved, not sure about lines (most of mine are around my eyes) but my skin feels firmer and appears more glowy without looking greasy (which is what I thought would happen).

Annianni Wed 10-Oct-12 21:51:08

I have the fushi argan oil, it's good but I prefer rosehip oil and would buy that again before getting more argan oil.

Hth.

BinAndScones Sat 13-Oct-12 20:44:46

Update: I got some, started using it today.
It absorbs really well but, my god, it REEKS! Really rank like old chip pan fat...not sure I can stick that kinda smell so close to my nose of a morning!

coffeecake Sat 13-Oct-12 21:56:39

Yes it does smell, but it works wonders, on everything! Mine is extra pure I bought it in France. It's like gold dust though I'm scared to use it it's so expensive.

kiwigirl42 Sun 14-Oct-12 00:03:53

Will be following your progress. I'm using rosehip which is lovely but when I go to get the kids from school our labrador spends all her time trying to lick my face from the back seat! Glad I am still attractive to something, even it she has the brain size of a pea!

Pinot Sun 14-Oct-12 10:19:47

Yes. In a word smile

I use rosehip oil as a serum in the mornings (good for spotty skin), then Argan as a night treatment. It is superb - my 11's have lessened, my skin is smooth. I started in the summer when I got some in a french supermarket - 100ml for 13E and it's organic and cold pressed, so I felt happy to slap it on. Amazing stuff. Just a couple of drops warmed in the palm of your hand, then pressed into the skin - don't rub. Press it in, and use any remnants on your hands to go down your decolletage.

OneHandFlapping Sun 14-Oct-12 13:15:42

Roship oil smells faintly of cod liver oil to me, (probably why kiwigirl's dog likes it) and causes my oilier T zone to break out. I can only use it on my cheeks. At 55 I shouldn't be getting spots!

BinAndScones Sun 14-Oct-12 21:27:26

Persevering (holding nose!) the rosehip is positively fragrant compared to Argan.
Pinot Thanks for the "press not rub" tip, also may I ask about your elevens? Just how much improvement are we talkin? Mine are deeeeeeeeep You could park two bicycles in 'em grin Any chance of this stuff helping?
<sigh> Botox beckons I fear...

RollerCola Sun 14-Oct-12 22:04:42

Can anyone link to anywhere to buy it online? Do you need to be careful to buy the right stuff?

Naturallyme Mon 15-Oct-12 00:38:19

Hi tamisara. Do you use pure coconut oil on your face? That oil is usually quite drying used alone. How are you finding it? If you can fork out for the argan oil I would say go for it. You do have to be careful though as some are not really argan oil but diluted with other oils or are the remnants bottled iykwim.

Tamisara Mon 15-Oct-12 11:17:32

Thanks for the replies smile

Naturally Yes, I do use extra virgin coconut oil, but only for cleasning (I found that castor was worse). I do like it, a lot. It does make my face clearer (I think).

The argan oil I was looking at, was at Holland & Barrett here

Naturallyme Mon 15-Oct-12 20:14:40

I say go for it with that Argan oil. Yes coconut oil is an excellent cleanser for skin. I use it in some of my face scrubs and body cleansers for this reason. If it is working for you and you are not noticing any dryness then stick at it.

btw I'm a holistic cosmetologist so find all this stuff so interesting.

Pinot Mon 15-Oct-12 20:29:57

BinandScones sorry for delay - my 11's were pretty bad - they were visible constantly (I'm 37... but have three sons and frown alot... grin ) and I think they've improved alot. DH has noticed too!

MissFoodie Tue 16-Oct-12 10:40:22

it's worth it, but only if it suits your skin - by this I mean that not all oils suit all skins, some people rave about rosehip, some about argan, some about sweet almond, you need to try each and find what suits. Alternatively, a face oil that contains a mix.
I personally don't use single oils, I prefer blends, my faves contain rosehip, jojoba, sweet almond and avocado. However, if I used avocado alone I find it too greasy.
Fushi is a good brand and reasonably priced, I would try and buy small bottles (50ml or less) to start with and see how you go.
Melvita and Neals Yard are also good, plus they do some nice blends.

Pinot Tue 16-Oct-12 10:41:20

avocado oil for hands and cuticles is the mutts nuts.

pinotnoirprincess Tue 16-Oct-12 13:22:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pinotnoirprincess Tue 16-Oct-12 13:23:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BinAndScones Tue 16-Oct-12 15:37:32

Thanks Pinot (original!) I also frown a lot, hence the canyons! I'm hoping for the best. It is Fushi brand I'm using too

Pinot Tue 16-Oct-12 16:04:56

YY original Pinot grin And best <lies but curtseys anyway>

VintageRainBoots Tue 16-Oct-12 18:05:22

I haven't read all the posts, but I just love jojoba oil for my skin and hair. From what I've read, it's the closest to the oils produced naturally by the human body. I even use it on my daughter, who inherited my dry, sensitive skin.

oliviastarry Sat 27-Jul-13 19:40:18

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

BitchyRestingFace Sat 27-Jul-13 20:21:53

I recognise myself in your post OP - I have quite the collection of oils for my face, all good but I still find myself searching for the ultimate grin

I like argan, but it's not the best for my skin. I am using my bottle up on my hair. I think the best for me has been evening primrose oil, but by far the best product I've found is Dr Hauschka rose day cream: it is amazing and I really feel an improvement in my skin when I use it. I suspect it might be the peanut oil it contains, as that's the only ingredient that I don't have in any of my other products.

I should say though that my skin is pretty good anyway, and I only have the finest of fine lines just starting to show.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now