Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Advice about my glasses - it really is a crisis!

(7 Posts)
seashore Wed 10-Oct-12 00:36:13

Hi,

I have just got amazing new glasses which I love. Fantastic frames, extremely flattering. I should be really happy. I've had them a week now and I'm losing it, all I can think about is glasses. The problem is I cannot see through them. But they really match my eyes.

Did I mention I really like them?

So anybody, please, help.

I think the problem is the type of lens - polycarbonate, I have worn plastic for twenty years. I have found out on google that it can be very hard to switch from plastic to polycarbonate. So I'm wondering has anyone else made the switch? How long does it take to get used to these new lenses?

I should mention the frame is only any use to me with these lenses because otherwise it would be too heavy.

Google says some people cannot get used to them. I keep checking on TV and in newspapers what type of lenses spectacle wearers have, I'd love to make a decision, do I persist with the polycarbonate lenses in the hope that I will eventually adapt or do I give up and return to plastic?

Any advice appreciated, thank you.

MrsShrek3 Wed 10-Oct-12 00:43:03

I'm not an expert but very short sighted wink Wondering if your optician has got all the corrections right, angles or whatever they measure to make sure the correction you need is in the right place iyswim? I've always had polycarb lenses so not made any transition. Keep searching til you get an answer, you deserve to have it right smile hope an optician/opthalmology person turns up soon!

tabbycat15 Wed 10-Oct-12 06:49:05

I would take them back if you've only just got them & tell them your concerns. They might need adjusting. My glasses aren't my actual prescription as I couldn't cope with them as everything was too close. They adjusted them for me at no extra cost.

seashore Wed 10-Oct-12 09:47:56

Thanks MrsShrek3 and tabbycat for you nice messages and good advice there, I'll definitely go back and see what the optician can do for me. You're lucky MrsShrek that you've never worn plastic! I'm willing to work at the transition, there's so many benefits to polycarbonate, the health of the eye, no magnification of the eyes! It's amazing, the lenses look like clear glass. But things are squashed and I'm concerned about the fact that there is meant to be a bit less clarity with them. My job is visual so I'm eager to make the right decision.

seashore Wed 10-Oct-12 13:15:03

Any opticians out there - be great to get your opinion!

Aquelven Wed 10-Oct-12 13:51:03

Take them back & get them checked. But double check them yourself against your prescription.
My last pair were just awful. I took them back, Specsavers, & they swore black was white that there was nothing wrong with them. I checked the prescription they gave me when they made them against the one I have for my contact lenses & the optician that did the eye test & wrote up the prescription had put the left & right eye the wrong way round! So the lens for the right eye was in the left side of the glasses & visa versa! Had to take in both prescriptions before they admitted it was wrong & changed them.

seashore Wed 10-Oct-12 14:08:09

Thanks Aquelven, that's really interesting, I didn't think they would actually make a mistake like that, it's good to know I'm not the only one who suddenly can't see so well with new glasses!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now