Talk

Advanced search

Your vintage style tips and websites - I'm clueless!

(5 Posts)
Wearsuncream Tue 09-Oct-12 12:02:44

I want to embrace the whole vintage thing - where's good to buy from (online as I live in the middle of no where)? Anyone got any tips to help me (I dont want to look like Im in fancy dress!!)?!
Thanks in advance!

ujjayi Tue 09-Oct-12 12:21:26

Do you want to go "full on" vintage or more "bohemian/mix it up with high street" kind of vintage? Also, do you have a particular era you favour? If so, then perhaps I can give some more specific pointers on brands or styles to search for smile

My style is bohemian vintage mixed with high street (Laura Bailey is my style icon sadly I don't have the same Chanel budget and country pile she has!). I steal from many eras - but mostly 30s and 50s with a dash of early 70s Celia Birtwell/Ossie Clark.

eBay is an excellent source (just bought a Celia Birtwell blouse and a Matthew Williamson beaded jumper for less than a tenner including postage). Granted, MW isn't "vintage" but his aesthetic is perfect for my style.
Rokit
Beyond Retro
Oxfam Vintage

For retro, as opposed to vintage, check out
Vivien of Holloway
Brora have some lovely vintage inspired pieces

Look out for retro style fairisle knits, tea dresses & accessories in H&M and even Joules and Boden have stuff which can work - tea dresses, heeled mary janes, silk scarves.

MarshaBrady Tue 09-Oct-12 12:25:22

That sounds really lovely ujjayi.

A friend does vintage/charity exceedingly well too. And wears tweed blazer with skinny belt, long socks and three quarter length trousers, lots of layers. The look really suits her. I guess just go for what you love and an extension of your personality as this is what she does.

What sort of looks, style do you feel drawn to?

October1st Tue 09-Oct-12 12:45:32

Etsy is good and there are loads of websites if you just look for vintage clothes. I feel at 49 I am too old now for vintage as the irony is lost on me and I just look like I have not changed style from the 1970`s

MarshaBrady Tue 09-Oct-12 12:46:49

That friend does pretty much all vintage/charity others do the Dior / Chanel look really well and mix it more with current season.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now