Talk

Advanced search

Can I have your opinion on these Boden dresses please

(23 Posts)
Dancergirl Mon 08-Oct-12 23:21:07

Just seen some new dresses in Boden:

Kate dress:

www.boden.co.uk/en-GB/Womens-Dresses/Knee-Length-Dresses/WH385/Womens-Kate-Dress.html

And Carnaby dress (in plain purple, the prints are awful):

www.boden.co.uk/en-GB/Womens-Dresses/Knee-Length-Dresses/WH402/Womens-Carnaby-Dress.html

AKissIsNotAContract Mon 08-Oct-12 23:23:31

If you are over 60 then they are ok.

Beamur Mon 08-Oct-12 23:23:55

I like the spotty Kate dress, except the fudge colour. Not too sure about the other one, but agree that the plain purple is the best one.

The plain black Kate I would wear for work (and I'm far from 60 but that shape is good on me) however I would accessorize it A LOT to make sure it didn't look frumpy. Fabulous shoes would be involved, great bag etc etc

I think the Carnaby is a bit meh - nothing very exciting about it. I don't think the fabric is a good enough standard for a dress which is that flat and clingy. If you are 6ft and a size 6 however....

polyhymnia Mon 08-Oct-12 23:31:58

I briefly considered the Carnaby and came to same conclusion - that the fabric wouldn't be great and the whole effect a bit boring and probably unflattering. Also I don't like gold buttons but that's just a personal thing.

snowmummy Tue 09-Oct-12 00:10:54

I don't like either of them sorry

MrsBovary Tue 09-Oct-12 00:16:54

The Kate dress is ok.

The second one is a bit bold and bright in pattern for my own taste.

echt Tue 09-Oct-12 07:58:18

I'll be 58 tomorrow, (wink at AKissisNotaContract, which is probably why I like the Carnaby dress, though only in the mad swirls, the purple one is dire.

Dollydowser Tue 09-Oct-12 08:35:27

I think they would look lovely on someone that same body shape/size as Kate Middleton.

sue52 Tue 09-Oct-12 09:57:07

The Kate dress is good and I'm buying it in black. Tthe second is dowdy and the prints vile. I am 60 though.

TooMuchRain Tue 09-Oct-12 10:05:46

I don't think the Carnaby would be flattering for most people and the Kate is inoffensive but seems hugely overpriced for what it is.

polyhymnia Tue 09-Oct-12 10:13:57

I think the Kate could be quite nice and flattering and, if it's good quality, not too expensive as you'd probaaly get a lot of use from it.

Unfortunately, not all Boden stuff is good quality in my experience - some is, some isn't. If I thought it would suit my figure (which sadly I don't) I'd certainly order the Kate to see what it's like, using a code for 15% off and free p and p - see separate thread.

HorraceTheOtter Tue 09-Oct-12 10:14:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

flowery Tue 09-Oct-12 10:35:56

Don't like the Carnaby.

Like the Kate very much, and would be buying if it weren't dry clean only.

mejon Tue 09-Oct-12 11:03:21

The Carnaby one looks like the crimplene monstrosities my grandmother wore in the 70s (as do many of their dresses this winter). No. Just no.

Caerlaverock Tue 09-Oct-12 11:59:17

If you have any weight on your tum that Kate dress is going to be frumperama

MaBaya Tue 09-Oct-12 12:01:01

The first one could be quite nice with thick tights and boots. The second one is just hideous in any colour.

TheSandstoneCat Tue 09-Oct-12 12:02:12

Yes to Kate but too expensive and no, just no, to Carnaby.

minniegrace Tue 09-Oct-12 19:38:18

I have to say no to both

cakeymakey Tue 09-Oct-12 19:39:24

Quite like the Kate as a work dress, but I am a frump.

As for the Carnaby, any dress that describes itself as a 'solid prune option' has no hope.

Lexilicious Tue 09-Oct-12 20:00:53

My mum keeps trying to give me Boden. She is 61.

You can definitely get far better fashion (IMO - obv depends on your shape and style) and reliably good quality for often less money on the high street. My fave brands are Hobbs, Banana Republic, Fenn Wright Manson.

bigpants103 Tue 09-Oct-12 20:12:52

No to both. Both frumpy imo. Can get some much nicer dresses. Expensive too.

Eliza22 Wed 10-Oct-12 08:35:21

Like the Carnaby.... The Kate looks shapeless, to me.

On a different note, Boden gets on my sodding nerves. Placed an order a month ago and one item had a 3 week wait. Phoned yesterday and was told "it'll be another 3 weeks". Why of why do they keep bombarding us with email, catalogues in the mail and bloody adverts? You place and order and..... They've run out/haven't ordered enough for demand and by the time it arrives, you've forgotten what it is you ordered!! angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now