Quilted barbour jacket. Yes or No?

(21 Posts)
MoomieAndFreddie Mon 08-Oct-12 17:48:26

I really want one

this one

Am I being a fashion sheep? blush

And does anyone know where I can get one cheap

scurryfunge Mon 08-Oct-12 17:52:00

I like it. My DH is in to Barbour at the moment. There is a Barbour discount outlet near me- do you have any near you?

Spidermama Mon 08-Oct-12 17:59:09

My natural instinct would be to say, 'NO! For the love of God, NO!'
However these retro, spoony English nob-type clothes are very fashionable. Look at Jack Will stuff. Young trendy people are buying quilted green jackets like the queen might wear with her headscarf at Balmoral.

There's no accounting for tastes.

justbogoffnow Mon 08-Oct-12 18:06:36

Would be fine but for the glaring Barbour logo.

Spidermama Mon 08-Oct-12 18:07:44

As for getting one cheaply, there are plenty on ebay.

dexter73 Mon 08-Oct-12 18:08:50

I have one of those and I love it. It is really flattering.

BurlingtonBertieFromBow Mon 08-Oct-12 18:18:09

I personally think they are a bit everywhere atm. I like my Barbour (traditional shaped waxy one not padded), but now only wear it when actually in the country/doing outdoorsy things, not in town. They look warm though.

dexter73 Mon 08-Oct-12 18:20:54

It's not that warm actually! It is good for the autumn but isn't really a winter coat.

I had my first Barbour (green wax Gamefair..deeply unflattering) to go to University..in 1986.

It is still perfectly serviceable now!

This summer I bought a navy quilted Barbour and and hoping it will have a similar length of life.. should take me to my retirement grin. I know it's not always the case but sometimes you do get what you pay for.. I am not into fashion but I do like quality!

Just don't wear a headscarf like the Queen...!

dexter73 Mon 08-Oct-12 18:22:35

I accessorise mine with a brace of corgis not!

suebfg Mon 08-Oct-12 20:36:45

I'd say no. They're everywhere now and besides, they're thin and don't have a hood so completely impractical for British weather. And £179 for quilted jacket shock

AnOldieButNotSoGoody Mon 08-Oct-12 20:53:27

OP I've just bought a black international. On a whim.

Actually I really like it.. it's warm and looks smart.

dexter73 Mon 08-Oct-12 21:07:08

I've had mine 3 years and wear it loads so I think it was worth the money.

MoomieAndFreddie Tue 09-Oct-12 14:18:22

I know they are everywhere - i think thats why i want one....god I really am a fashion sheep blush

AnOldieButNotSoGoody Tue 09-Oct-12 15:19:36

They are very cosy smile

Stevie77 Tue 09-Oct-12 15:50:11

Well then, I'm a sheep too. Have been promised the grey one by my OH, it is very flattering!

I think that even though this year they are everywhere, next year they won't be but the jacket is such a timeless classic that it won't matter (and it shouldn't).

MoomieAndFreddie Tue 09-Oct-12 16:25:28

I know someone who is buying one for her DOG. confused

fedupofnamechanging Tue 09-Oct-12 16:35:33

I really like it - I wouldn't buy a cheap copy.

They are everywhere, though. Will this bother you? If not, then I think you should buy it because it is a lovely jacket.

PorkyandBess Tue 09-Oct-12 17:14:23

Last winter they became the ubiquitous uniform of the, er, less than stylish type. So I would say no.

MoomieAndFreddie Tue 09-Oct-12 17:37:32

HA!! porky that just PROVES how shit i am at fashion. I am even a year behind un stylish people <sigh>

AnOldieButNotSoGoody Tue 09-Oct-12 18:05:27

They are everywhere.

But nobody looks as good as me in mine. delusional

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now