Talk

Advanced search

Any other tall slim(ish) women? Heels question!

(20 Posts)
Naysa Mon 08-Oct-12 09:07:44

I'm 5"11 and a size 10/12. I read a thread last night in AIBU or chat were someone made some derogatory remarks about a taller girl wearing heels looking like a "tranny".
Before I read the thread I saw some boots in town, stonewash light grey military style boots with a chunky 3 inch heel which I am in love with, but that thread has put me off.
Come cheer me up with tales of you tall girls being non-trannyesque in heels smile

Poledra Mon 08-Oct-12 09:10:25

I'm 5'10'', a size 12 and regularly wear heels! I've just bought petrol-blue suede boots with a 2.5" chunky heel and I loves 'em.

It's just words on a screen - wear what make you feel good and to hell with what the rest of the world thinks!

PS I've seen some gorgeous trannies - I'd happily look like them.

BillyBollyBandy Mon 08-Oct-12 09:13:25

I've 5ft9 and have neither the dress sense or legs to be mistaken for a trannie.

However I do wear heels of whatever height. Although I'm not slim, I'm not sure what that has to do with heels and height?

Emandlu Mon 08-Oct-12 09:14:41

Tall girls look glamorous in heels - why do you think all the top models are so tall? Don't let someone hoiking judgy pants affect what you do. If you like the heels, wear them!

PrimaBallerina Mon 08-Oct-12 09:17:56

Those comments will have been made by envy types - don't worry about it.

I'm 5'10" and wear heels when I want to. I in no way feel like, nor resemble a tranny when I do.

Naysa Mon 08-Oct-12 09:26:07

That wasn't supposed to be offensive to cross dressers btw, some of them are very beautiful.
I know I shouldn't let it bother me and I am proud of my height, but don't want to draw negative attention to myself.
Also, any suggestions on what to wear said boots with would be greatly appreciated.

Chandon Mon 08-Oct-12 10:20:20

I am 6ft.

I like a bit of a heel, but not during the day as I live in the country and it would look silly, trudging through the mud.

I have never worried about looking like a tranny. Goodness me, what a bitchy thing to even think?!

The person making that comment must have had their own inseceurities. I have never seen a tall woman, and subsequently thought: is that a he or a she.

I bet you could not look tranny if you tried, OP, as you are a woman.

Northumberlandlass Mon 08-Oct-12 10:32:12

I'm just on 6ft - I rarely wear heels. I am size 14 with broad shoulders (although they are evened out with my giant round bum/hips)

I have quipped on here before about feeling like a tranny when I high heels (no offense meant at all) - I specifically meant GIANT platforms which were really all I could find a year ago. I have NEVER actually looked at a tall person & questioned gender.

I was pushing 6ft4 in those shoes and didn't feel lady like or attractive. This is just MY opinion though.

I hate it in a crowd when I'm with friends and in heels I am a good 7" taller than them. I am by no means a shrinking violet, but even my confidence can't handle towering at 6ft 4 or so.

I actually prefer flat shoes to a 'slight' heel - I think a kitten heel is too delicate for my stature and makes me look chunkier....

HorraceTheOtter Mon 08-Oct-12 10:56:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Avenue57 Mon 08-Oct-12 12:46:20

I'm 5ft 9 and regardless of size I think everyone should wear heels if they want to! I did used to shy away due to my height v's husbands height (he's the same size as me) but now I don't really care - I wear heels with confidence!

Naysa Mon 08-Oct-12 13:06:17

Northumberlandlass I 100% know what you mean about towering above. My two best friends are less that 5ft5 and they are very petite, I feel like a gigantor next to them.

MrsBucketxx Mon 08-Oct-12 13:20:27

being six foot i have had several people in the past say go my face why wear heels when your tall. my responce us always the same why should i wear fugly shoes, is that to make you feel better about your height?

i love heels and wear them all the time, if i want to that is.

middleagedspread Mon 08-Oct-12 13:42:11

I'm 5'10" & size 10-12 and wear heels, although not over about 3". I do feel a bit Lilly Savageish in sky scrapers but would love to wear them if I could walk in them.

When people comment on my height I always think "hmmm, jealous?".
Go for it.

cjo1 Mon 08-Oct-12 18:21:13

I'm 5'10 and wore 3" heels to work today. About five people exclaimed at how tall I was. To which i said "thank you".

We are amazons and that's wonderful.

Plinkityplonk Mon 08-Oct-12 20:26:00

I'm 5ft 11 & a size 10/12 too. I used to wear heels often pre motherhood but less so in the last few years. However I bought my first pair of high heeled boots last week & love them, I feel so much more confident wearing them & not at all like a trannie! I say go for it, anyone who comments is just jealous.

upanddown83 Mon 08-Oct-12 21:10:26

I am 5'10 and just this week have purchased 3 pairs if heels the lowest heel being 3inch highest being eeek 5.5inches can't wait to wear them out thankfully dp is 6'4 so we don't look ridiculous together but my friends are in the general height region of 5'3/5'4 so I've just learnt to get on with it I also love saying thank-u when I get told I'm tall

daimbardiva Tue 09-Oct-12 14:36:45

I'm 5'11" and love wearing heels - there is a limit to the height I'll wear though before I start feeling uncomfortable (both physically and psychologically). Interestingly, my dh is 5'6" and I don't think we look ridiculous together even when I'm in heels (and neither does he!) Wear what you want and be proud of your height - I've always thought of it as the one physical attribute I have that almost everyone else wants.

MrsBucketxx Tue 09-Oct-12 20:36:25

xpost my dh is smaller than me and definately dont think we look ridiculous. what a silly thing to say.

knitknack Tue 09-Oct-12 20:42:58

I'm 5'10" and I wear heels every day! I'm a size 10 and I think I rock it. I spent my teens crouching and trying to hide myself now I walk tall, tallER in fact in my heels! Bugger some envy comments! And how offensive of them too!

carrotsandpeasifyouplease Tue 09-Oct-12 21:22:10

i too spent my younger years trying to hide myself, I now wear what i can manage to walk in, usually 3.5 inch heel, i'm 5'10" and yes today got a "wow your tall" comment i usually say, "yes havent i grown" - i mean seriously what do these people expect as a reply "oh really thanks for pointing it out to me"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now