Talk

Advanced search

What ratio of tops to bottoms do you own? And do you mostly hang things or fold in drawers?

(12 Posts)
Lexilicious Sun 07-Oct-12 21:11:30

I have just " retired" some clothes and am looking at a neat wardrobe rail. Has occurred to me that I have a bit of an imbalanced mix of things, but that also could just be my inner unsated consumer wanting to go shopping again.

I have on the rail...
Four cardigans
Two sheer blousey tops that need a cami underneath.
Two jersey/knitted tops
Two skirts
One pair of trousers
Eight day dresses (normal work wear for me)
Three 'outfits' (trousers + top + jacket or dress + jacket)
Three 'nice' dresses

And...
Two drawers of underwear
One of nightwear
One of sportswear
One of gardening/walking scruffs.
One containing jeans (x1), linen shorts (x1) and two tops. (Will also hold winter jumpers when they come out of the loft).

I think something is unsatisfactory here but can't pin down what. If you all humour me tell me what your balance of tops to bottoms is maybe I will know?

Nagoo Sun 07-Oct-12 21:13:44

I own 3 pairs of jeans, 2 pairs of shorts, 3 skirts, 3 dresses and 80 bazillion tops.

Does that help? grin

TheDetective Sun 07-Oct-12 21:15:34

I own 4 pairs of leggings, and shit loads of dresses/tunics.

No help there am I?!

Lexilicious Sun 07-Oct-12 21:19:26

Ok, sounding like more tops than bottoms is the case for you too!

8:80Baz
4:shitloads

NotMostPeople Sun 07-Oct-12 21:23:17

I have way more than that. Taking your first item I have round neck cardigans in light grey, charcoal grey, black, argyle, red, yellow and purple. V neckin tan, black and grey. Long line chunky in cream and grey, boyfriend in grey, purple and navy. Mohair in silver and probably more I can't think of off the top of my head.

Overall more tops to bottoms, but tops are layered so it makes else that there'd be more of them. Also a pair of skinny jeans might be worn walking the dog, out shopping or at night but each time with a different top.

Lexilicious Sun 07-Oct-12 21:36:27

Dear lord you have 15+ cardigans?! Wow! That is truly a wrap for all occasions. I like the sound of silver mohair. But your dedication to the cardigan gives me an idea... I think I have got to grips with the dress style that suits me, and I just know on sight what will work (hence the 8, and two I half forgot which need to be mended). However I don't know in the same way what works on my top half, because it has changed over the years (boobs a bit bigger, tum must never peek out, waist more defined due to bigger/fatter hips)

My cardies are: lime green knitted cotton waterfall, coral pink silk mix bolero, white fine knit slub cotton belted, cappuccino silk cotton boyfriend pocketed. Oh and I have a huge beige snuggly one at work for when the heating goes on the blink.

Mintyy Sun 07-Oct-12 21:39:04

I have about a 10 to one ratio of tops to bottoms, but I am bottom heavy and hate buying that larger size in skirts and trousers. Am always kidding myself I will be in a size smaller in a few weeks time ...

AlwaysOneMissing Sun 07-Oct-12 21:39:13

I also have more tops than anything else.
I think you are justified in going shopping though, I would imagine that most people have many more clothes than you currently do.
Maybe choose a couple of looks that you particularly like wearing, decide what (if any) more items would help you recreate more of that look, then fill gaps in your wardrobe that way.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sun 07-Oct-12 21:40:53

I own more tops on the grounds that tops can only be worn for one day but trousers for several. But I think you need more trousers.

starfishmummy Sun 07-Oct-12 21:46:45

More tops. I mostly wear skirts so they usually last a a few wears before they need washing.

chanie44 Sun 07-Oct-12 21:47:32

I have more bottoms that tops - I think that is because I am petite but with big boobies and broad shoulders so find it difficult to get tops to fit, but I really nice way more tops. I think it is better to have more tops that bottoms.

My clothes are on a rail (trousers, dresses, suits, jackets etc), on a shelf (tops, leggings, jeggings) and drawers (underwear, socks/tights and nightwear/lounge wear).

Could your ratio of no of item VS time spent on activity be wrong? You have drawer for sports wear and one for scruffs/gardening, do you spent much time doing either? My ratio is wrong because I hate spending money on clothes for work, but as I work full time (5 days a week) I should have way more work clothes becaus that is where I spend most of my time.

Lexilicious Sun 07-Oct-12 22:02:51

ooh ok, so I am officially (MN jury) allowed to go shopping!

I won't just yet though, because I have lots of stuff in the loft because we have just completely redecorated.

I have a lot more dresses (about one per wedding attended in past 5 years), some slightly more glam tops, but no more bottoms that I can think of. Oh, about six suits blush

in terms of what I actually spend my time doing, the scruffs are pretty much on the whole weekend unless there is a party/dinner out. And sportswear theoretically is on four times a week and can't be reworn because I have run so hard I have really sweated.

I do think I need at least one other pair of plain but stylish trousers for work (FT, but only 4 days in the office). The tops I most like are knitted long sleeved round/v neck but I also bought a blouse this week for the first time in ages and it seems to suit me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now