Talk

Advanced search

Please help me with some clothes for Christmas in Australia?

(11 Posts)
BigFatLegsInWoolyTIghts Sun 07-Oct-12 17:41:45

I am size 14 but am aiming for 12 when I get there on the 6th of December. All I have are terrible worn out summer shit...nothing nice.

Obviously I could buy over there but the clothes are dire...and expensive for the quality.

I won't be doing loads of partying...but lots of bbqs and get togethers...probably a couple of nights out.

I have a small bust and waist but a largish hip and thigh...bottom not too bad.

Legs are nothing to write home about but basically slim and in good nick so I dont mind showing them.

I am 40. Pale with dark hair. I usually dress in jeans and plain tops...a line dresses and skirts....not very exciting.

I'd really like to look nice though, I do not like showing my chest at all...so slash/boat neck things are the best for me and also flatter me.

Any ideas? Torusers? Tops? Skirts and dresses please? Oh...and budget...CHEAP! The holiday is doing us in and not much spare left over.

BigFatLegsInWoolyTIghts Sun 07-Oct-12 17:42:56

I should say... dont show my upper chest area due to a lot scarring on there...not attractive.

kiwidreamer Mon 08-Oct-12 10:39:08

We are having Xmas in NZ this year and due to small weightless all my summer clothes look awkward and frumpy so I've been going through the clearance sections of loads of online stores, amazing what you can find! There are a few things at Boden, I got a lovely dress for 70% off in reality you can get away with two going out outfits and 4 mix and match tops bottoms as long as you have access to washing machine. HTH smile

kiwidreamer Mon 08-Oct-12 10:42:09

It will be properly hot in OZ at that time (nz more mild) so I would go for light weight and loose personally as you won't be used to the heat.

esselle Mon 08-Oct-12 10:52:50

Obviously I could buy over there but the clothes are dire...and expensive for the quality.

Gee thanks! That line really makes me want to offer help! I find that I am well dressed and don't spend a fortune!

Where are you going to be visiting? Australia is big so weather varies a lot from place to place.

BigFatLegsInWoolyTIghts Mon 08-Oct-12 11:01:12

Adelaide esselle v hot. No offence but I do find that the clothes in Adelaide are dire....and v expensive!

BigFatLegsInWoolyTIghts Mon 08-Oct-12 11:06:03

Just checked Boden but they don't have a lot left! Bah. Nice frocks too!

esselle Mon 08-Oct-12 11:09:22

Ah ok Adelaide isn't too hot at the beginning of Dec so you won't roast!

Have you looked on Amazon at the summer clearance clothes?

aimum Mon 08-Oct-12 11:11:42

I've spent 2 Xmas's in Adelaide. It can be slightly chilly in the morning or unbearably hot depending on cloud cover so you need to go for layers. I remember one Xmas where we spent the morning shivering on the beach but 2 hours later, I was sweating in a lightweight cotton sleeveless dress. I'm no good at style but you will find that people in Adelaide are not as fanatical about fashion as in the uk, I.e. they are a lot more chilled about life.
If you do find yourself needing clothes, head down to Norwood. There's lots of decent shops on the parade although they are very expensive.

BigFatLegsInWoolyTIghts Mon 08-Oct-12 11:13:40

what are you talking about not too hot!? I've had two Christmases there and it's like a bloody oven! In the 40s!

I on't be buying in Adelaide aimum far too expensive. ANd I know they're laid back...but I have literally nothing nice. Not one thing.

Mosman Mon 08-Oct-12 13:02:13

John Lewis still has some summer stock.
Or get someone in Australia to take delivery of a next online order for you from the Australian site.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now