Talk

Advanced search

Who wants to join me for a wardrobe detox?!

(30 Posts)
Paintyourbox Sun 07-Oct-12 16:03:40

Right, I have had enough of the three large ironing baskets, overflowing laundry basket and full double wardrobe!

I am having a wardrobe detox and getting rid of things that:

1. I have kept despite the fact they don't fit (size 8 pencil dress- what?!)
2. Are faded/beyond repair/just not my taste anymore.
3. I wore out clubbing in my student years (including canary yellow fake silk dress!)
4. Some of the many bags I no longer use.
5. The knickers with dodgy elastic/bras that are the wrong size/lone socks.

I bought some lovely posh hangers that have increased the amount of stuff I can fit in the wardrobe and I am determined to have a good old sort out.

So far I have listed 3 pairs of shoes on eBay, put some clothes in a bag for charity, sorted a stack of dresses to eBay and found several tops I had forgotten I owned and appear not to have been worn.

Anyone fancy joining me? think of all the space we will have for new clothes!

DonaAna Sun 07-Oct-12 16:11:56

I need to do a purge in my drawers and be more ruthless about what deserves closet space. So will try to join.

deleted203 Sun 07-Oct-12 16:15:28

I kind of did this already....I did get rid of the dodgy elastic/grubby grey stuff....and the stuff I hate.....but the ones that are a good 3 sizes too small that I love and optimistically think one day I will get back into I put into one of those vacuum-y bags and sucked all the air out of them.

I now have 8 items of clothing in my wardrobe and 3 massive sucky plastic bags filled with 247 garments on top of the wardrobe. (All mangled and sucked together like a wrinkled giant jellyfish).

Not sure if it's an improvement, to be honest......

mirpuppet Sun 07-Oct-12 16:22:51

I'm in process of doing these. Tentatively 6 bin bags to go to charity; 1 pile to Ebay.

Closet is neatly ordered for autumn/ winter.

Putting summer clothes in 2 categories -- Keep and Relace when I have time/ find the one -- I'm trying to make that pile small.

freerangeeggs Sun 07-Oct-12 16:32:45

I did a wardrobe clearout the other week.

I just sorted all my clothes into three piles - one for things I love wearing, one for things that are not awful, and one for things I hate wearing.

It was great! Loads of my work clothes ended up in the 'hate' pile - I didn't realise there were so many that I disliked. No wonder I felt crap in work every day.

I binned everything in the hate pile and looked very carefully at the 'not awful' pile, keeping only things that I really needed to.

I have hardly anything in my wardrobe now but I'm happy to wear everything.

CiderwithBuda Sun 07-Oct-12 16:50:36

I so need to do this. I did get rid of loads earlier in the year - lost 2 stone so got rid of most of my winter stuff. Hoped to lose more but that hasn't happened! Still have some stuff that is too big that I need to chuck. Have some good stuff that is too good to just chuck so I will take to a dress agency.

Then I need to be ruthless.

Tomorrow I will start by sorting out the stuff I need to take to the dress agency.
Then I will sort out my chest of drawers. It could be much more organised.
Then I need to put all summer stuff away after first getting rid of anything I know I won't wear again.

I am still dieting so hoping to be at least a size smaller by Xmas too.

Paintyourbox Sun 07-Oct-12 17:14:34

Cider wow, 2 stone! Well done, that's incredible! What's a dress agency can I ask?

Since I had baby my shape has changed- my hips are wider and my bum is bigger so there's a few things I will never get into again.

I have ebayed 4 more items- excited! I think it will take me some time to totally clear out as I have DD to look after but I have set myself a target of Christmas to get it done.

CiderwithBuda Sun 07-Oct-12 17:53:38

Oh thanks Paintyourbox. I was chuffed at loss. Although came to a standstill in June and have been yo-yo-ing ever since. Frustrated at myself now.

A dress agency is basically a shop that sells clothes on your behalf. They take a commission. Quite a bit usually! But I know I can't be bothered with eBay.

Beaverfeaver Sun 07-Oct-12 17:56:25

I just did this a few weeks ago. 2 sacks to charity and a few dresses have gone on eBay.

MrsRobertDuvallHasRosacea Sun 07-Oct-12 18:11:32

I do this every 3 months.
Anything not worn I ask "why?" and either ebay or charity shop.
I am quite ruthless.

I would rather have fewer items, but wear them more.

HappyGirlNow Sun 07-Oct-12 19:58:14

I want to join you! But I'm just not strong enough... blush I pull everything out with good intentions and end up putting almost everything back.. sad

Paintyourbox Sun 07-Oct-12 22:51:56

Wow every 3 months?! I aspire to twice a year at the moment!

I have only listed 7 things on eBay and I am bored of it already so may just charity shop the lot!

Themilkybarisonme Sun 07-Oct-12 23:08:44

I'm halfway through my wardrobe. Have a massive pile for the charity shop and two items for eBay. I have decided I'd rather have few, good quality items than mounds from supermarkets and H&M from my student days! I aspire to work slowly towards expensive-but-worth-it staples.

I need to lose weight though, including the baby belly. I still look kind of pregnant sad

Hopefully Mon 08-Oct-12 06:25:29

I'm like MrsRobert - I love sorting my wardrobe (and other people's, which is why I do it for my job sometimes too. It makes me so happy!) so I end up doing it every couple of months.

The one thing I have never had until recently is space to put summer stuff away. I don't have much (thanks to non-existent summer) but it's lovely not to see pointless clothes taking up drawer space all winter.

Hopefully Mon 08-Oct-12 06:26:06

Oh, and I find eBay is less grim if you put on everything in one to - the stuff that goes for decent money makes up for the 99p irritations.

DonaAna Mon 08-Oct-12 10:04:03

Fueled by this thread, I just sorted out my drawers. Culled two bags of unloved jeans, too-short denim skirts, dodgy knits and awful viscose tops. Plus a few items may get a new life when washed, dyed and ironed.

If you don't overstuff, everything you have looks and feels much nicer.

And instead of having a jumble of tangled tights, unmatched pyjamas and mismatched bikinis and socks, I put my bras and shapewear in one drawer, knickers and bikinis in another, socks and tights in another and pyjama shorts and vests in another. Am so happy with resulting logic and order.

Thanks for the impetus, I've been meaning to do this for a month...

CiderwithBuda Mon 08-Oct-12 13:43:48

I think I need help. Instead of sorting out my wardrobe I added to it! Popped into Matalan and bought a few things. blush

homeaway Mon 08-Oct-12 13:53:28

Happy, the way round putting it all back is to just take one item out at a time and then decide whether you wear it or not, put it at the end of the rail if it is a keeper and then move on to the next item . Set a timer and see how much you can get done in that time . With knickers and bras just take a few out and decide if they are to be binned or put back in the drawer. HTH

Paintyourbox Mon 08-Oct-12 14:41:53

The new found organisation has already helped as I woke up late today and as I had stored things by outfit I only had to grab one hanger and I was sorted!

Aquelven Mon 08-Oct-12 14:50:43

How much luck do you have selling on eBay?

I need to have a cull but most of the things I have are too good to just chuck. Good quality things I spent quite a bit on & are hardly worn but don't fit as I've put weight on. So I start off with good intentions but end up putting most of it back thinking of the money I've wasted if I don't just lose the weight!
Then I just feel depressed & ashamed.

issimma Mon 08-Oct-12 14:54:51

I am very good at this - my (single) wardrobe and (4) drawers are not overflowing, and I like what's in there. I do need more clothes, but am pg now so will wait until I'm back to normal size (and back to work for money!).
eBay is ok for certain brands - boden does surprisingly well. I second dress agencies - they take a huge wodge, but less hassle than eBay. And charity shops are even easier and give you the feel good factor.
If you don't know where to start, start with the 2 year rule. If you've not worn it for 2 years, it goes. Simple grin.

Paintyourbox Mon 08-Oct-12 20:46:51

Aquevlen I have had some success with eBay but I am always surprised what sells- I had some nice bags that looked brand new, ended up getting 99p for them which I was gutted about.

On the other hand a used, cheap pair of new look shoes landed me a fiver. They only cost me a tenner in the first place.

mirpuppet Mon 08-Oct-12 21:50:06

I've had good success on Ebay. The 99p sales annoy me too much -- so I list on free listing weekends for the minimum I would be happy with and most of it sells.

If it doesn't sell for minimum -- I give to charity shop. I'm not queuing at the post office to send someone an item they paid a pound for.

Bluestocking Mon 08-Oct-12 22:02:36

I like your three categories, freerangeeggs. I had a big sort-out at the weekend and put all my summer clothes away in a box in the top of the wardrobe. Now I just need to tackle the autumn/winter clothes I don't really like wearing.

Paintyourbox Tue 09-Oct-12 12:40:04

Has anyone had success with those vacuum pack storage bags?! I have used 2 brands now and both times the air gets back in!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now