Talk

Advanced search

DIY shellac/gellish nails

(7 Posts)
Shesparkles Sat 06-Oct-12 13:20:30

I'm looking to be buying some shellac nail stuff for a gift. Has anyone done this DIY? I've no idea which brands are good or bad, and there's such a variation in price. I don't want to buy the el cheapo stuff and it be rubbish, but equally I don't want to get the top of the range stuff if there's something else which is equally good. Does anyone have any experience?

Floridagirl Sat 06-Oct-12 18:49:39

Don't buy anything called "bluesky" on ebay, it's fake stuff.

I bought the Sensationail kit from Boots, so have used the Sensationail gel polish, also got some Gelish from EBay which worked fine, and have just ordered some IBD just gel which will hopefully work with my lamp too. What sort of stuff are you after? Just colours, or top coat / base coat etc?

CMOTDibbler Sat 06-Oct-12 18:54:42

I now do my own shellac, and got CCO from ebay which works great

Shesparkles Sun 07-Oct-12 21:57:20

That's great-one to look out for and I know what to avoid .
Thanks girls smile

Shesparkles Sun 07-Oct-12 21:58:34

Florida, I really have no idea what's involved! I suppose a base coat and a colour,to start her off? Or do you really need the top coat too?

Floridagirl Sun 07-Oct-12 22:39:35

You will need some sort of nail dehydrator, bonder, base coat, top coat, colour, and most importantly a lamp of some sort or none of the rest of it will work. The lamps can be £30 ish on eBay for a UV lamp - the Sensationail started kit that you get in Boots actually works out quite cost effective as you get a bit of everything AND it includes the LED (quicker) lamp - was £70 in total. I guess that might be a bit more than you were thinking of though?

Shesparkles Mon 08-Oct-12 08:55:36

Thanks for all that info Florida, and yes, a bit more than I was thinking! I'll have. Look at that kit in Boots though, and my sister can be VERY grateful grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now