Talk

Advanced search

warm and practical children's coats- your suggestions please

(35 Posts)
redhappy Thu 04-Oct-12 21:35:12

We don't have a car so I need to get really decent winter coats, especially for the school run at 8am when it's lterally freezing!

All the supermarkets, next etc sell such flimsy, thin coats for winter. Can anyone point me in the direction of good brands that are warm and practical, and if they look nice too that would be even better! I think they would need to be wool or feather filled.

I have dd and ds, both at primary school.

tiredteddy Thu 04-Oct-12 21:37:50

We had H&M coats last winter which were brilliant. Fully wind and waterproof, warmly padded and bright coloured. We bought the ski trousers too for the snowy/ wet weather too which were equally fab. Reasonably priced too.

Rooble Thu 04-Oct-12 21:41:17

We always get ski jackets as they are warm, waterproof, hooded, usually washable.
Had a vg Trespass one from John Lewis, the ones from Decathlon are good quality for a full winter. Or online try www.littletrekkers.co.uk
I'm not sure how washable down is?
Good luck!

Banderchang Thu 04-Oct-12 21:41:54

There's a shop in Edinburgh called Nippers (they mail order too) that does brilliant kids' coats. Really warm fleece duffle coats that aren't too bulky. And lovely bright colours - I have a lovely autumn check one for DS this winter that's gorgeous. Highly recommend. DS has had one each year and been lovely and warm (we live in the north).

Rooble Thu 04-Oct-12 21:43:04

Ooh forgot H&M. We had their skiwear one year and would agree it was fab.
Generally the British coats are rubbish (M&S, Next, Tesco etc), but continental ones great!

redhappy Thu 04-Oct-12 21:46:27

Thanks, meant to add, will probably need to buy online.

H&M makes sense, my thought is that a scandinavian brand would make the warmest most weather proof, but they're not always cheap.

I think down can be washable (according to an item description I read on ebay at least!)

IWishIKnewHow Thu 04-Oct-12 21:48:21

I bought the Boden fleece-lined anorak for ds this year and it's great - hardy, warm, waterproof and comes in different colourways and designs. Got it for £28 with a discount code too which is pretty reasonable I think, especially as it'll hopefully do for ds2 as well.

lurkingaround Thu 04-Oct-12 21:49:03

Benetton, v warm, not sure about the rainproof side of it. Into its second winter and still looking great.

I saw www.vikingkids.co.uk/outdoor-clothes.htm#windbreakers linked on another thread lately. If it keeps Nordic folk warm and dry, it has to be worth a look.

Nagoo Thu 04-Oct-12 21:52:50

Another vote for H&M.

DS has had theirs the last two years, I am really happy with them smile

CeeceeBloomingdale Thu 04-Oct-12 21:55:17

Debenhams have some decent ones that wash well, are long enough in the body, warm without being bulky and have hoods. They are much warmer than the Boden ones we have which are now relegated to the weekend

FitByForty Thu 04-Oct-12 21:57:29

Can I recommend the Landsend down filled coats. They are not cheap but they are fantastic quality and so warm and snuggly - DD was a proper whinger in the winter but not since we invested in of these.

Bluesatinsashes Thu 04-Oct-12 21:59:08

Just got DD's winter coat from Lakeland kids. It's down filled and v. cosy. They have a good choice of styles.

redhappy Thu 04-Oct-12 21:59:42

I can't even find coats on the first 2 websites! I don't think they have any on the nippers website, it is very sweet though, I almost bought some snowboots in the sale in preparation. The Trekkers website is a bit overwhelming, or maybe I'm just tired.

The boden coat wont be warm enough, and I just don't think the vikingkids ones will be either.

Sorry to be so fussy! Do you remember when it was -10 last winter? That's the weather I'm thinking of, all three of us cried for the walk to school it was soooo cold.

Bluesatinsashes Thu 04-Oct-12 22:00:17

Oops I meant Landsend kids! blush

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 04-Oct-12 22:00:39

Spotty Otter.

crazygracieuk Thu 04-Oct-12 22:03:42

I buy Gap coats. They are like duvets.

Ispywith Thu 04-Oct-12 22:06:52

I have just bought a coat from vikingkids website a brand called Didrikingdons or something. A bum covering parka that is fully waterproof, wind proof & padded. It is so cozy I am thinking of getting an adults version!

ContinentalKat Thu 04-Oct-12 22:07:22

Ski coats all the way. We have bought from mountain warehouse, trespass and h&m. All were fine.

Startailoforangeandgold Thu 04-Oct-12 22:08:17

Warm and practical you need ski coats.

Go outdoors, mountain warehouse, those sort of places. You don't want to pay full price for DCs as they grow out of them.
A quick google gets half price and better girls branded jackets. £20 rather than £50

There are outdoor shops in our local outlet mall.

Try asking in travel there are a lot of skiers that will know on line places and brand names to search.

claretandamberforever Thu 04-Oct-12 22:12:38

Are you anywhere near a TK Maxx ?

redhappy Thu 04-Oct-12 22:16:12

Yes, I am planning to go to TK Maxx next weekend. Going to have a look at ski jackets on ebay too.

accessorizequeen Thu 04-Oct-12 22:17:32

The Gap down ones are washable but you do need a drier to fluff the feathers up again. Down isn't so great for the wet, but it is super warm and super light. 3 of my dc had them last year and they wear really well. The gap regular 30% discount helps! I've bought 2nd hand gap warmest coats and they've still looked pretty good after a couple of seasons with us! Landsend down coats are meant to be even better, but I haven't bought one so far. I think there is a discount out ATM too. I just buy a waterproof for my dc as well and that's worked pretty well for years.
I think it's Didrickson's you mean Ispy. Search on MN and they're pretty rated for women's and kids' coats but £££. I think H&M are pretty good for the price, but I find the fit doesn't suit my dc when they happen to need a coat for some reason.
DS2 (5.9) has a fake sheepskin coat from Monsoon atm and it's actually really practical, just throw it in the wash and he's v.v.warm in it. Plus he's a dude in it grin Their coats are very good and the girls' ones have some wool so worth a look?

CheerfulYank Thu 04-Oct-12 22:21:30

Columbia and LL Bean are great. We live in Minnesota and below zero is the norm. smile

cloutiedumpling Thu 04-Oct-12 22:23:25

If you have a costco card our local store had some lovely kids coats in last weekend. I bought a down filled coat for DS1 and they also had ski jackets. Sadly, I could only find pink ones!

Pancakeflipper Thu 04-Oct-12 22:24:49

Mountain Warehouse and Trespass. Tough wearing, waterproof. Decent prices.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now