Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Tokyo style - dressed up or down...

(7 Posts)
belsize77 Thu 04-Oct-12 12:29:00

I am going to Tokyo for a few days in a couple of months on a very exciting "minibreak" with my husband and am debating what I might wear (ages in advance I know but I might need to do some shopping).

I can't work out if people are generally dressed up or down - all Japanese style blogs and articles tend to focus on teenagers wearing pretty extreme outfits. Basically I want to know in smartish restaurants and bars are people in jeans or dressed up to the nines...

I have worked abroad quite a lot so know how people can be a bit snooty in some places (like Moscow) if you turn up in something wildly different from the norm.

Any thoughts on non maid outfit/Harajuku Japanese fashion??

BebeBelge Thu 04-Oct-12 12:33:16

Definitely, definitely dressed UP! Noone would be snooty to you as they are so polite, but you will feel scruffy if you go out in jeans. Most women dress very femininly (sp?). Frills and bows are huge as are heels which are impossible to walk in. hair and nails immaculate , even on the school run! but it's an amazing place! Hope you have a great time!

MarshaBrady Thu 04-Oct-12 12:36:39

I'd go for dressy end rather than jeans for bars and restaurants. Nice dresses. Anyway shopping for them will be fun and going out in nice stuff.

We went to Tokyo for our honeymoon and loved it, so plush in nice hotels.

Have a great time. How exciting.

PerditaMcLeod Thu 04-Oct-12 12:37:40

Hi Belsize
I have just got back from a few days in Tokyo. Seems to be pretty much anything goes. I lived in jeans (admittedly we were not eating in very flash restarants) and that was fine. I think smart casual should be fine pretty much everywhere.

Check the weather before you go- we roasted in 29 degree temperatures which I didn't expect as I thought temperature wise it would be much like the UK.

We walked miles, so would definitely recommend a comfortable pair of shoes.

For full on maid outfit/Harajuku/Japanese Elvis experience, check out Yoyogi park on Sundays.

Have fun!

mumzy Thu 04-Oct-12 13:12:52

Smart casual wear should be fine

belsize77 Thu 04-Oct-12 20:03:08

Thanks everyone - very helpful. I am so looking forward to it, particularly not having to dress in toddler chasing flat shoes (at night at least). The question is can I still fit in all my pre kids evening clothes that haven't had much of an airing for the last few years. Maybe I should just get my hair and nails done at least so not too look too scruffy.

PeriPathetic Thu 04-Oct-12 20:08:55

Oh definitely dress up! But anything goes and you won't be judged on whatever you wear.

Comfortable shoes though - the connections on the Metro are miles apart.

In a couple of months the weather will be glorious; cool, dry & sunny (or that's what it usually is at that time of year). Think perfect autumn day in the UK.

Enjoy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now