Talk

Advanced search

Please give me some advice on which coat to buy!

(16 Posts)
FreddoBaggyMac Tue 02-Oct-12 18:23:20

I need a proper 'grown up' coat for dog-walking and the school run in all weathers. I'd like something that keeps me as warm and dry as poss but also something that looks nice (Is this a possibility?)

My budget is only around £50. If I had lots of money I'd go for something like this or [[ http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002OHCYEW/ref=s9_simh_gw_p200_d0_i3?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1H2ZQFW7WQ92Z6YN10W9&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=317828027&pf_rd_i=468294 this]] and especially this but sadly I do not have lots of money sad. I'd really like a longer line coat but they all seem out of my price range.

Options at the moment are land end down parka, lands end squall parka or trespass bengairn -do any of these look any good???

Should have addded I'm 5 ft 7, size 8-10, in my mid 30s and would prefer something in black!!

Any advice MUCH appreciated xx

FreddoBaggyMac Tue 02-Oct-12 18:25:00

Sorry did that second link wrongly should be craghoppers!

BikeRunSki Tue 02-Oct-12 18:27:42

Land's End quality much better than Trespass. Trespass not bad but LE will last forever. You won't go wrong with a Squall.

ToastedTeacakes Tue 02-Oct-12 18:29:22

Love the Lands End down, and the super discount on the Squall parka!

As a uk8 I was worried about the Lands End sizing, and have recently been looking at the furry hooded down coat..but they didn't have the colour I wanted, and I was surprised to find that a chest measurement for a size 8 was 34inch. So I wondered if it would fit me like a balloon...but then I have very narrow upper half.

Insulation and showerproofing sound like your best options, but links to the popular options are extremely expensive. I haven't been able to find anything lower than £100 in this category - but I am not very good at online shopping!

BikeRunSki Tue 02-Oct-12 18:31:50

Do you realise that down shouldn't get wet and needs specilast/v careful cleaning? Not an ideal everyday material unless you live somewhere v cold and v dry.

FreddoBaggyMac Tue 02-Oct-12 18:43:57

Thanks both of you. No I didn't know that about down Bike, where I live is def wet so will discount the down options!! Looks as if the lands end squall parka may be my best bet... is lands end really OK though? Have never liked the look of their stuff in the past... but the coats do seem very highly recommended.

FreddoBaggyMac Tue 02-Oct-12 18:45:18

Also thanks for the warning re sizing Toasted, my upper half is sadly extemely narrow too!

suburban Tue 02-Oct-12 18:48:59

Have you got a TK Maxx near by? Lots of down coats around the £50 mark in my local, worth a look.

FreddoBaggyMac Tue 02-Oct-12 18:56:05

Thanks Suburban, do most of my shopping online but may get chance to have a look in TK Maxx.

clippityclop Tue 02-Oct-12 18:58:37

I tumble dry my down filled jackets with no problem. Another vote for TKMax.

mysteryfairy Tue 02-Oct-12 19:20:33

I bought the lands end parka in black using the 25% off code that was around recently . I am 5ft 10.5 and size 10 and the size small is very generous on me so you would definitely need an extra small which is sold out. It was really too warm when I wore it at the weekend but did seem quite waterproof though I didn't get properly soaked.

BikeRunSki Tue 02-Oct-12 19:53:59

Land's End stuff is bombproof and their customer service is excellent. They will return/repair for years, or replace if possible for almost any reason.

Avenue57 Tue 02-Oct-12 19:54:59

Land End is VERY generous .. the XS is the size you'll need for sure - I have a gillet in S and it's massive!

FreddoBaggyMac Tue 02-Oct-12 19:55:27

Thanks mysteryfairy. Was it the squall parka that you bought? I don't mind it being a bit baggy as I like to be warm and will probably wear a jumper underneath when it's really cold. Are you happy with it?

mysteryfairy Wed 03-Oct-12 22:19:24

It was the squall insulated parka. It's ok
- appears to be very warm and waterproof- and looks unremarkable. Not stylish but not too old lady ish.

It really is big fitting though. The sleeves are also reasonably long which is a benefit.

FreddoBaggyMac Thu 04-Oct-12 10:01:24

Thanks mysteryfairy. I think it's top of my list, just hanging on a few more days to see if I miraculously come into some money so that I can get a Merrell instead smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now