Talk

Advanced search

Why does nail polish turn gloopy?

(12 Posts)
ToastedTeacakes Tue 02-Oct-12 15:47:37

This past year I have had nails for the first ever time (a biter since childhood). I seem to have successfully broken the habit and no longer even absent-mindedly nibble them, so all's great in the shiny, long new nail dept!

But

I keep experiencing some really frustrating problems with polish. From Essie to Topshop to Chanel... so not sure if this is a question of quality, for one of the best, most durable polishes I've used to date was by Rimmel.
Basically, after a few wears, many of my colours go really thick and take on an odd consistency, which makes it really difficult to apply. The Chanel were actually the worst for this, which baffles me.

Someone once suggested keeping them in fridge, but no joy there either.

Also, when I have used Essie topcoat (cost me a damn fortune) it tends to make the problems worse: peels off really easily, and can be marked, 'dented' at the slightest touch even why totally dry. I've often waited patiently for nails to dry only for the colours to chip and peel almost immediately. Am I going mad?

Anyone know why this happens?

LexieSinclair Tue 02-Oct-12 16:03:38

I think it's because air is getting into the bottle. I've heard you're supposed to wipe the neck of the bottle to stop varnish drying round the edge, which stops the bottle closing properly and allows air in, if that makes sense. If its too late for that you can buy polish thinner, which helps.

ToastedTeacakes Tue 02-Oct-12 16:28:44

Thanks Lexie, will definitely keep an eye open for that!

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 02-Oct-12 16:41:20

If you keep it in the fridge it doesnt happen as much, it's the solvent escaping that makes it gloopy.

Mavala do nail polish thinner.

ToastedTeacakes Tue 02-Oct-12 16:43:15

See, I am still new to all of this!
I hadn't heard of thinner. Will google!

ShirtyKnot Tue 02-Oct-12 16:45:47

Agree that you're probably not ensuring that the bottles are tightly closed.

I got some thinner online for not much money at all - search on Amazon.

As to the dents and nicks you're getting - I think this is possibly down to either not waiting for your first coat to dry completely before doing the 2nd coat. Or you might have a "dud" top coat. DO you use a base coat as well?

ShirtyKnot Tue 02-Oct-12 16:46:29

Oh and you might be making your coats too thick as well.

CouldYouPleaseCallMeCordelia Tue 02-Oct-12 16:47:05

Put a TINY drop of nail polish remover in it, shake it and keep it in the fridge. Also yes to cleaning the edges so you can close them properly.

Lakota Tue 02-Oct-12 16:50:10

A top coat will work but will temporarily soften the nail varnish underneath it if you wait until everything is dry to apply it. You should apply base, 2 thin coats of polish and topcoat pretty much one after another ie. Once you've done both hands you'll be ready to start next coat on the first hand you did.

You can try adding a drop or two of nail varnish remover instead of thinner, it's basically the same thing. Roll the bottle between your palms to mix it in, don't shake. And yes, wipe the tops of the bottles after you've attempted thinning them.

ToastedTeacakes Tue 02-Oct-12 18:23:58

You people are amazing, thanks so much!
It is actually a relief to discover that I'm the one making the mistakes....still learning....so shall take all the advice on board!

I possibly do apply too much topcoat (I like the sheen!).

cloudpuff Thu 04-Oct-12 12:51:31

I am a member of a few nail boards and they all say to never use nail varnish remover instead of polish thinner. They are not the same thing apparently. Some of those girls are hardcore polish junkies smile

ToastedTeacakes Thu 04-Oct-12 13:46:00

thanks cloudpuff. will seek some thinner out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now