Talk

Advanced search

Gel(ation?) Nails

(11 Posts)
SophieLeGiraffe Tue 02-Oct-12 14:36:54

How the hell do I get it off?

I had a manicure with this a few weeks ago and it's starting to look tatty. I need to get it off. What are my options?

SuperB0F Tue 02-Oct-12 14:38:05

Go back to the nail parlour is your safest option.

SophieLeGiraffe Tue 02-Oct-12 14:42:16

I had it done on holiday (in UK). Do most salons remove it?

Rosa Tue 02-Oct-12 14:51:00

Think they file it off but get it done properly.

carrie74 Tue 02-Oct-12 14:51:23

If it's the first time you had it, I'd recommend going to a salon to remove it, but I've done it at home myself:

Soak a small cotton pad in acetone, stick it on the nail, then wrap in tin foil for 10-15 minutes. Repeat as necessary.

However, my salon has said they've found a quicker way: put some acetone in a plastic bag, and tip it into the corner of the bag. Dunk your nails so they're submerged in the acetone, then put the bag into a bowl of warm water. Again about 10-15 minutes. Not tried this method yet, but they said it was much quicker, although likely to hurt if you've got any nicks in your skin.

SuperB0F Tue 02-Oct-12 14:51:32

Oh yes, any nail bar should do it.

SophieLeGiraffe Tue 02-Oct-12 15:05:24

This is all sounding very high maintenance. My colleague said you have to scrape it off after the acetone soak with an orange stick?

SuperB0F Tue 02-Oct-12 15:10:29

Yes, you could. But it is revolting, and I'd rather pay a professional a fiver to do it quickly than spend that on acetone and freaking myself out.

LulaPalooza Tue 02-Oct-12 15:13:01

Have you had the Jessica GELeration done? If so, there's a kit that you can buy. But if it's your first time, I would go to a salon as others have said. You can damage your nails and cuticles if you do it badly. Don't be tempted to buff or pick any of it off.

LulaPalooza Tue 02-Oct-12 15:13:47

Nooooooooo to scraping off! You could damage your nail bed.

SophieLeGiraffe Tue 02-Oct-12 15:36:31

Ok. You have me convinced. I will go to a salon, just need to find one in my area that can do it. Though I suspect it will cost more than a fiver.

I don't know what type it was. Husband bought it for me as a surprise and neither he nor I really knew what he'd booked me in for.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now