Talk

Advanced search

just smashed my glasses: opticians in Cambridge?

(9 Posts)
scripsi Tue 02-Oct-12 12:41:25

Am away from home and near Cambridge to help my DSis with her newborn, I managed to tread on my glasses which had fallen off the nightstand and now I am squinting away. The glasses were ancient and I have a high prescription, which was doubtless out of date. I would like a comprehensive eye test (have a slight phobia of my eyes being fiddled with, so someone with a good bedside manner would be best). I might start wearing contact lenses again so I would also like those tests. Any recommendations for a brilliant optician in Cambridge?

LaCerbiatta Tue 02-Oct-12 12:54:41

There's a specsavers in the Lion Yard, and another one near the Grafton Centre. There's also a Boots Opticians somewhere near Lion Yard.

I find Specsavers customer service really bad and I think they're very unflexible and slow so I'm not sure if they'd be able to sort out your problem... But give them a call and ask - the nr for Lion Yard one is 01223 366 805.

There's also a Vision Express in the Grand Arcade. Their nr is 01223 304826

Good luck!

Poledra Tue 02-Oct-12 12:56:09

Are you south of Cambridge? Can recommend Howes in Royston.

nipersvest Tue 02-Oct-12 13:21:42

how long are you away for?, problem with places like specsavers, is they are great value, but it will be a week before your glasses are ready. there's a vision express in the grand arcade i think, they did used to be able to do glasses in house in an hour.

scripsi Tue 02-Oct-12 13:21:55

thanks tugamommy and Poledra, I have seen signs to Royston (in the good old days when I could see that far ahead!) and that looks friendly and helpful! I shall give people a ring and see what can be done.

scripsi Tue 02-Oct-12 13:24:33

thanks nipersvest, I am probably away for about 3 weeks. I might get a good prescription and order from an online opticians if that turns out to be quicker. I will look at specsavers too.

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Tue 02-Oct-12 13:24:58

go to theseguys
they are wonderfull

niminypiminy Tue 02-Oct-12 13:52:41

I go to Clamp, on St Andrew's St. Fantastic service (sooo much better than Boots, who are utterly rubbish ime), and fabulous (tho expensive) frames/

TheMightyMojoceratops Tue 02-Oct-12 13:53:56

Eyelink on Hills Rd. Great for contact lenses, glasses are a bit expensive but you can get your prescription there and pop into Boots/Specsavers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now