Talk

Advanced search

White Stuff in trouble!

(62 Posts)
fridgepants Mon 01-Oct-12 22:15:16

here I haven't seen anything I've wanted to buy there for a couple of seasons, maybe everyone is thinking alike?

HumphreyCobbler Mon 01-Oct-12 22:17:04

i think they are too expensive for the quality they offer

zips break, things shrink.

BonnyDay Mon 01-Oct-12 22:17:50

a bit of an odd thread title
more like "woman doesnt like something in shop"

fridgepants Mon 01-Oct-12 22:20:58

Well, no, they're losing astonishing amounts of money.

I don't like the wares of Jack Wills, but they seem to be doing pretty well otherwise.

harbingerofdoom Mon 01-Oct-12 22:21:54

Priced themselves out of the market and Dunelm? perhaps upping their range and taking customers with them.

Waswondering Mon 01-Oct-12 22:26:10

I really like WS stuff but only ever, ever buy in sale as it is quite pricey ....

Hope that they weather the storm though as they do have pretty things.

EyesDoMoreThanSee Mon 01-Oct-12 22:26:22

I love white stuff, except their knitwear which doesn't last for the price.

DownyEmerald Mon 01-Oct-12 22:29:28

Not good news, and I think they are ok,and recently had an order where I loved everything. But I do only buy on a code.

fridgepants Mon 01-Oct-12 22:31:33

When I first came across them in 2010 I bought a ton of stuff, some of which I still have, some of which got old-looking pretty quickly. But their dresses all seem to be empire-line which is death to someone with norks, and their tops aren't cut to flatter a curvy shape either.

allthefun Mon 01-Oct-12 23:33:37

It's a bit of a "type". Laura Ashley, Boden and the like - all the rage at the start very nice but in a safe way.I think it all dates eventually and then they have to find their stance. French Connection was very posh and new in 80's but then went trendy, Laura Ashley grew old with it's customers, Next went mainstream.
Sure WS will be OK as there stuff is pretty good although they don't have a signature piece like Fat Face ( those really "firm" sweatshirts)

Startailoforangeandgold Tue 02-Oct-12 00:22:37

Too expensive for the flimsy fabric.

Too dear for my 14 yo and a bit flowery, even though some of it suites her.

To thin and clingy for my lumps and bumps.

Stupid low necks meaning everything needs a vest under it. Even summer dressesconfused

Fat face quality is way better.
DD2's favourite top has been washed and washes and DD1 has a lovely top from their sale. Proper cotton and lined.

PerryCombover Tue 02-Oct-12 00:24:57

I've never ever bought anything from there. I got a pair of their trews from a charity shop though
Unsurprising it's doing badly

Wheresmypopcorn Tue 02-Oct-12 01:35:38

oh no, I know someone who works there!

ujjayi Tue 02-Oct-12 07:00:15

I like the styling in their marketing material but have always been disappointed with the quality IRL. Having said that, I have just made my first ever WS purchase - a layering tee and a pair of dark grey chinos at half price in the sale - and was pleasantly surprised at the quality and cut. Just hope they survive the wash.

Euphemia Tue 02-Oct-12 07:02:16

I bought a few dresses in their sale. One of them has really odd elasticated ruching at the sides; I'm only a 36D but it gives me a chest like Maw Broon. Weird.

GreenEyesAndHam Tue 02-Oct-12 07:25:41

Yy to the stupid low necklines

Lovely, a nice tunic to wear over leggings and skinny jeans- and it reveals my nips, so versatile!

DowagersHump Tue 02-Oct-12 07:42:41

I stopped buying stuff there when the cotton jersey of the last top I bought was so thin it laddered.

And also what allthefun said - after a while, you need to start extending your reach beyong flowery tunic tops that don't really fit anyone

ggirl Tue 02-Oct-12 07:53:19

their stuff looks the same season after season....yawn

Caerlaverock Tue 02-Oct-12 07:56:32

They spent a fortune on that whole 'vintage, out a bird on it, aren't we so quirky' revamp which was dated by the time they had finished. There are only so many arse hiding tunics you can sell before folk realise they don't really hide your arse

TheWombat Tue 02-Oct-12 08:05:36

Caerlaverock grin

I just never find anything in there. The jersey tops are poor quality imo and those a-line embroidered skirts look utterly frumpy on me.

That said I have one brown WS jumper that is a wardrobe staple every autumn. It's about 8 years old now.

toptramp Tue 02-Oct-12 08:06:50

I got a lovely lined tunic from there ; good quality BUT I do have to emphasise the word TUNIC. It's not very cutting edge or sexy is it? It's a bit frumpy/mumsy. I love Fat Face; cosy but not too frumpy.

Badvoc Tue 02-Oct-12 08:10:29

The only things I ever bought from there shrunk so badly my sons couldn't wear them again.
I washed them according to the instructions.
Have never bothered with them since.
Maybe others have done the same?
In these tough economic times consumers simply will not/cannot put up with shoddy goods/inferior items.
No one can afford it sad
Am amazed Mothercare is still going tbh....

Indith Tue 02-Oct-12 08:14:15

I like it for basics. I've got a denim skirt which is lovely and fits really well (this probably has a lot to do with the fact that it fits the wobbly mummy tummy rather well). I like their jersey tops etc as they are usually plain and basic with a little detail in the neckline or something. This year the wool mix long sleeved top is brilliant, I've just bought a second one as the first has been worn constantly since I got it. I'd be sorry to see them go. I do like fatface too but it doesn't do the slightly more feminine stuff that white stuff does.

I agree with the dated prints and stuff though. It reminds me of Boden like that "lets have some random vomit inducing print and stick it on everything so that you can see our dresses a mile off" I hate wearing stuff that is recognisably from a particular shop.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Tue 02-Oct-12 08:21:58

A few years back I bought quite a few bits from there, it's all a bit samey now though! The stock seems exactly the same every seasonhmm

The same style dresses, year after year. I'm not surprised they are in trouble either tbh.

bawabod Tue 02-Oct-12 08:44:26

well to Mint Velvet and Phase Eight we go ladies until they go the way of Laura and Boden and White Stuff wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now