Talk

Advanced search

Help - what to wear for interview tomorrow?

(8 Posts)
marleeene Mon 01-Oct-12 16:21:53

I have an interview tomorrow - public sector work.

I have to give a presentation to an audience which will include service users - sector is housing. After doing some googling I can see that most of the service users will probably be 50+. I'm only expecting to present to a max of 10 people.

Presentation is now sorted - but I'm stuck between what to wear.

Should I go suited and booted? I have a trouser suit.
Alternatively I have a nice pencil skirt which I could wear with a jacket and heels. But do I go for killer heels or more comfortable wedges?
Or do I go for a dress - which whilst it would be a little bit more casual but may make me look more 'accessible' not in that way

Job is about involving users in running of the company so have to be approachable and will have lots of face to face contact.

Thank you wise S&B'ers grin

RamblingRosa Mon 01-Oct-12 16:27:15

First of all, well done on getting the interview and good luck smile

I know it's a cliche but I always say you should go in what you're comfortable in. If you never wear a trouser suit (I don't), don't wear it because you'll feel weird.

If you rarely wear a skirt and heels, don't wear them.

Personally, I would probably go for a smart work dress or skirt and jacket and some low heels. I wouldn't go for killer heels but then I'm not into this whole killer heel trend. Fair enough if you're on the red carpet but I think it looks weird in a work context. But that's just me. If you usually wear killer heels then go for it!

good luck.

Rebecca54 Mon 01-Oct-12 16:52:29

I agree with Rambling Rosa that you should wear something comfortable which will help you to relax and be yourself. Interviews tend to be daunting enough without uncomfortable clothes to tend with.

As long as you look smart you should be OK. The panel will be listening to your presentation rather than marking you on what you wear.

I would go with a comfortable skirt, blouse and matching jacket and sensible shoes or you could substitute the skirt with a pair of smart trousers.

Good luck!

susiefen Mon 01-Oct-12 20:13:39

i wouldn't wear a dress, always better overdressed than underdressed in my view. Although you don't want to be uncomfortable, you need to look as if you have made an effort, so try and look your best - you only get one chance to make a first impression, so personally I would go for killer heels every time! Good luck for tomorrowsmile

marleeene Mon 01-Oct-12 20:48:16

Right - think I've found a balance.

I have a really nice fitted little pencil skirt - knee length. 3" black suede court shoes, cream top and fitted cardigan. I've got a lovely silver necklace which should pull it all together nicely and make me feel like me. I always feel odd when I wear jackets as I've never really found any that fit me properly - I've got a lovely silvery grey light coat which I'll wear over the top.

Fingers crossed I'll get through to the second round...

I've got a dress which whenever I've worn it for an interview I've got the job - bit tried it on earlier and it looked a little bit dated so don't think it's the one for tomorrow.

susiefen Mon 01-Oct-12 21:20:18

Sounds perfect! Best of luck

RamblingRosa Tue 02-Oct-12 09:41:05

Sounds lovely. Good luck.

marleeene Tue 02-Oct-12 18:05:32

Thanks - felt like I looked like me which always helps - just need to wait to hear if I get through to round 2!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now