Talk

Advanced search

Another wedding request....

(12 Posts)
Limelight Mon 01-Oct-12 07:22:12

I have a history of buying dresses for weddings which I don't really like, but buy because they seem weddingy, and then never wear again.

I'm determined to do it differently for a wedding I'm going to in a couple of weeks. I could do with some help though.

I've bought this

It's very short on me (I'm pretty tall) so I've been thinking I might wear it with some very slim trousers and heels.

Do you think that's smart enough? And how do I accessorise? Jacket? Knitwear? Hat? What colour trousers? Or shall I go back to the drawing board?

Thanks in advance - I'm truly rubbish at this.

BonnyDay Mon 01-Oct-12 07:57:54

i dotn like the trousers idea. and with a hat?

no

start again

Limelight Mon 01-Oct-12 08:11:34

Oh. Ah well! grin

Bunbaker Mon 01-Oct-12 08:17:56

Can't you wear one of the ones you already have and accessorise it differently?

Limelight Mon 01-Oct-12 08:34:24

TBH I've charity shopped / Ebayed a lot of stuff lately, partly because I've lost some weight, and partly because I'm sick of hoarding clothes which I NEVER wear. So I'm left with a navy blue Great Plains maxi (too summery), and a black Isabella Oliver (or whatever they're called these days) wrap dress.

I have this uniform frock look for weddings though, and I'm so bored with it - vaguely pretty print, knee or just over the knee, probably from Monsoon, probably empire-lineish, probably with some sort of knitwear, and heels, and a hat.

And I'm BORED, and I never wear the dresses more than once, and I don't have the imagination to sort it out.

I do better in normal life I hope - I wear lots of skinny jeans, and ankle boots etc and am very happy with what I wear.

It's something about weddings. I think I'm just not very girly and weddings make me panic!

grin

LongGoneBeforeDaylight Mon 01-Oct-12 08:43:27

I'd wear it with opaque tights and a grey blazer.

Limelight Mon 01-Oct-12 09:23:15

I've got a grey blazer which I really like. Do you think it's too short though (even with opaques)? I'm getting on a bit (well I'm 34 which combined with current levels of tiredness makes me feel about 44).

oscarwilde Mon 01-Oct-12 13:28:22

No - that's a lovely dress. Opaques and killer heels (not boots).
I have this uniform frock look for weddings though, and I'm so bored with it - vaguely pretty print, knee or just over the knee, probably from Monsoon, probably empire-lineish, probably with some sort of knitwear, and heels, and a hat
I think you have just described what most people wear for a wedding grin I don't recommend floor length white or you'll be pretty unpopular.
If you've got a nice wrap black dress can you buy or borrow some nice accessories ? Big chunky necklace and smart bag ? Bright colours?

LongGoneBeforeDaylight Mon 01-Oct-12 13:54:23

Where does it come to on your legs?

minipie Mon 01-Oct-12 16:25:09

As oscar says, that uniform is what most people wear to a wedding, because it's what's expected and most wedding couples appreciate conformity from their guests more than interesting outfits. So I'd say, doesn't matter if you find it boring, suck it up and fit in, at least to some extent! You can wear the dresses to more than one wedding though.

I think that dress will be fine - even if v short - with opaques, heels, blazer, matching belt. Do you have a tiny, modern hat that would go? eg like a pillbox? (hat not needed but if it's the right one it could make the outfit more quirky).

Limelight Wed 03-Oct-12 09:26:18

It's about as long on me as it is on the model on the website I'd say. I'm 5'9".

I'm not trying to be controversial or to wear interesting/quirky outfits for the sake of it. I've lost some weight and for the first time in my life am able to choose clothes based on whether I really like them or because they fit my own sense of who I am, rather than because they fit me.

I've had years of pretty (and very lovely) dressesfrom Monsoon because Monsoon goes up to a size 20. But I'm not an instinctively girly girl. I'm much much happier in trousers and tailoring and interesting prints than I am in frocks and florals if you see what I mean (not that there's anything wrong with that). I guess post (or rather mid) weight loss I'm trying to work out what I want to look like and this wedding is proving to be a bit of a test.

Thanks for your help everyone! smile

LongGoneBeforeDaylight Thu 04-Oct-12 21:32:20

Totally understand that. I think you'll look great!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now