Talk

Advanced search

Classic Style-where do you buy your basics for a Parisian look?Please share your latest great buys here.

(17 Posts)
QueenieLovesEels Sun 30-Sep-12 18:31:11

Hi, I thought I would start a thread for those of us who are aiming for classic style rather than fashion.

I have started to see I look better in clean lines in quality fabrics. We are talking wide leg trousers, cashmere/merino sweaters, leather boots. Nothing trendy but a capsule wardrobe that just suits me.

Time for investment pieces in black, navy, burgundy and tan.

What shops are good for these things?

suburban Sun 30-Sep-12 18:36:00

Japanese rather than French, but Uniqlo is good for this kind of thing, here

issimma Sun 30-Sep-12 18:37:46

No great buys (in maternity wear), but this is what I aspire to so watching with interest.

ToastedTeacakes Sun 30-Sep-12 18:42:30

Oh, I like the idea of this thread!

Depends upon your budget too, I think, but if and when I can afford it, APC make some wonderful quality clothes, although a tad overpriced in my opinion and the sizing runs amok!

I also like Aubin&Wills and Isabel Marant, regardless how infrequently I can actually indulge. Hobbs also a favourite, and more affordable, and I have found them to offer some lovely basics in classic colours/designs.

So basically:
APC for high quality knits, especially lambswool and merino. Great cotton tees, bretons, etc.
Aubin&Wills = same, a bit less expensive but still as decent quality.

Regardless where I've purchased cashmere it has bobbled. I can't get to grips with it at all!

Everything else = Hobbs. Love their recent winter colour pallette, and the shoes (mulberry coloured brogues, for example) are exquisite.

Whistles also OK, but I feel a bit overpriced for the quality.
Will add more as it comes to me!

ToastedTeacakes Sun 30-Sep-12 18:46:19

Anyone interested in where to locate APC in the UK, try:

Netaporter
Nola Boutique
Goodstead
Coggles.com

DonaAna Sun 30-Sep-12 18:46:31

Maxmara, Calvin Klein, Helmut Lang, Joseph (from Outnet and Yoox & Matches sales) for the classic minimalist look (but I'm not aiming for pure Parisian).
Go for black, navy and camel.
I work in some Marc Jacobs to keep the look younger.
Occasionally Zara and Cos.

DonaAna Sun 30-Sep-12 18:50:10

I don't do cashmere any more - just merino.
Supima cotton is good.

I also find great classic pieces in consignment and thrift stores.

AmberNectarine Sun 30-Sep-12 19:37:09

For basic tops I like American Vintage (summer) and Majestic (winter). Both French brands, stocked in Trilogy. Pricey (£40-60) per item, but great cuts/colours and last well. Vince and Splendid also quite good, but those are my favourites.

I like Uniqlo cashmere (not so expensive I am scared to actually wear it) or Brora.

For me IRO do the best jackets, an I also recently got a slub silk T from them which I have hardly taken off.

Maje/Sandro are great for graphic tees or statement pieces, I buy a lot from Maje in particular. Comptoir also sometimes good.

I am a big fan of Goldsign jeans, but they are v v exxy, so sales only. Also rate J Brand.

Itsgottabebags Sun 30-Sep-12 19:43:26

I like M and S cashmere. Say what you want but the scarf I have had since 2009 is still looking good!

QueenieLovesEels Sun 30-Sep-12 20:31:46

Great responses everyone. Thank-you so much. Minimalism is key I agree.

Who does great shoes/boots that wear well and are worth the investment?

MissPerception Sun 30-Sep-12 20:38:55

What's a "Parisian look"? I really don't know - and I lived in Paris. Everyone wore black and looked dowdy. London and Edinburgh are much more stylish (generalisation)

QueenieLovesEels Sun 30-Sep-12 20:53:08

I have been from high st shop to department store and it's all full of tat even John Lewis

I don't want skinny jeans and tunics. Nor patterns or heels with island platforms. I don't want cotton cardigans that loose their shape and colour after five minutes.

I have done fashion to death and now I want classic pieces that will age well. I want them to look timeless but not frumpy. Just beautifully cut clothes that feel great next to the skin!

polyhymnia Sun 30-Sep-12 21:05:27

Comptoir des cotonniers good as well as those already mentioned.

Spookey80 Sun 30-Sep-12 21:15:02

Bump. I am sick of all the crap 'fashio' in shops.

thriftychic Sun 30-Sep-12 21:43:53

yes , i am sick of all the crap that doesnt last 2 minutes also . my recent buys have been a cashmere cardigan , scarf and hat from john lewis , so far so good !

Bonsoir Tue 02-Oct-12 14:04:02

If you go to the big Parisian department stores, there is always a "classic" floor that sells brands like Gérard Darel, MaxMara, Apostrophe. Personally I find those brands very aging and I don't want to dress that way...

eagerbeagle Tue 02-Oct-12 17:20:41

I just got some great John Smedley knits in their sale. Really lovely quality and cut beautifully

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now