Talk

Advanced search

What do you wear on your lips?

(44 Posts)
IWishIKnewHow Sun 30-Sep-12 09:19:25

The MUA thread got me thinking - I've worn nothing but lipgloss for the past decade. Is it time to change to lipstick? Is it back? Did it ever go away?

I quite fancy a bit of old-school glamour (been watching too much Mad Men!)

So, do you wear lipstick or lipgloss? And what colour lipstick should a natural redhead wear?

Gillybobs Sun 30-Sep-12 09:23:28

Bobbi Brown lipstick is great, loads of pigment and stays put for ages without being too drying. They do loads of great shades for warm toned people. Maybe try her famous "Nude" shade for a brilliant every day colour, its a strong orangey brown but not too in your face

WingDefence Sun 30-Sep-12 09:32:25

I'm going to watch this with interest. I've only worn ever Vaseline on my lips with Benetint underneath if I need a bit of colour. But I do wear full make up otherwise ie foundation, eyeliner and shadow and mascara (in varying degrees of intensity depending on the situation eg daytime/work/evening etc) - however, I'm so used to my 'look' that I don't know if that looks weird and I should have graduated to lipstick now that I'm 35 IYKWIM?!

I just always feel over made-up if I add lipstick to the equation, as well as the fact that I can't be doing with all the reapplication. I've tried those Max Factor lipfinity ones in the past but they go dry and bitty after a while and I end up fed up with it.

Looking forward to the responses on here... Thanks OP smile

suze28 Sun 30-Sep-12 09:34:35

IWish I could have written your post! Off the back of the MUA thread I'm off shortly to buy a new nude lipstick. £14 for a lovely Benefit nude, hmm. Will see what the MUA shades are like first!

rabbitonthemoon Sun 30-Sep-12 09:40:43

The Revlon lip butters are really good as a transition, very pigmented but lovely and sheer feeling. If you're feeling flush, ysl sheer candy are fantastic too.

Caerlaverock Sun 30-Sep-12 09:41:56

My latest is Burts Bee lip slave things, lovely colours and protect lips

PippiL Sun 30-Sep-12 09:42:54

I usually wear 8hour cream!

Though I do love the Dior sheer lipsticks. Forgotten the actual name. I have about 4 of them and it is very hard to find one that doesn't suit me.

I am a natural redhead.

Watching with interest though I suspect with my colouring sheer colour and gloss will always suit me better.

Cordrazine Sun 30-Sep-12 09:43:45

I was asking about lipstick with some friends because I've never owned one. They thought gloss/lipstick it was down to age, don't know if its controversial or not though!!

They reckoned early 30s and under are lip gloss for day wear and that 40+ are more likely to wear lipstick, with the in between ages going either way. To be honest, I'd never given it any thought!

IWishIKnewHow Sun 30-Sep-12 09:45:01

Yes yes exactly WingDefence! Have to pop out now but will check back later. Thanks for other replies/tips!

StellaAndFries Sun 30-Sep-12 11:30:18

I'm 30 and wear lipstick (maybelline 18hr)

HoopDePoop Sun 30-Sep-12 12:19:02

I am a MUA fangirl after reading other thread, I bought 3 mono shadows and two lipsticks. I too was a bit scared to graduate from lipgloss to lipstick but for £1 thought it was worth the risk. Recommend shade 11 for a 'my lips but better' daytime, doesn't feel too much more extreme than wearing gloss and I can slick gloss over the top when out and about - currently Rimmel Vinyl one in 'Snog'.

DonaAna Sun 30-Sep-12 12:45:43

Lipstick is back big time, has been for some years now. (I guess we have to thank Mad Men for that - their almost hallucinatory red/orange lipstick made it look fresh again.)

I like intense matte lipstick but also a slight amount of sheer and shimmer. Chanel Coco Rouge is a great range (but Coco Rouge Shines are disappointing).

suze28 Sun 30-Sep-12 12:48:49

So I went to the MUA stand in Superdrug and the lipsticks I liked were sold out! I'll have to find the time to go again. I liked shade 14 but will look at 11, thanks hoop, some of the other shades looked far too dark for my pale complexion.

SilkandSteel Sun 30-Sep-12 12:49:19

I've recently discovered the Revlon Just Bitten lip balms - great, very wearable colours, have the texture of a lipstick but without the shininess of a gloss and really stay put on your lips

IWishIKnewHow Sun 30-Sep-12 13:03:35

OK I'm definitely going to try some of the MUA colours.

Does the old rule still hold - eyes or lips, but not both? I like made-up eyes (have a blunt, heavy fringe and find I look a bit weird without it), so would I need a nude lipstick with this?

I like the idea of bright, Joan Holloway-style lips too - would this need minimal eye makeup?

StellaAndFries Sun 30-Sep-12 13:08:19

I ignore all rules and wear black winged eyeliner with bright red lips!

battherat Sun 30-Sep-12 13:15:39

For impact Dior sheer in a really bright red colour. For a subtle, polished look Nars lip gloss in a nude colour. For a bit of brightening, one of those Clinique chubby crayon things in a nice, strong pink colour.

I am very pale skinned with v dark hair so I do need to bring out my features a bit with makeup.

HyvaPaiva Sun 30-Sep-12 17:14:06

Agree with DonaAna. I think Chanel Rouge Coco in shade 19 'Gabrielle' would look stunning on a redhead.

colditz Sun 30-Sep-12 17:16:11

I wear Revlon Really Red, with a touch of gloss over the pout

IWishIKnewHow Sun 30-Sep-12 17:30:04

Oh wow HyvaPaiva, just image searched Chanel Rouge Coco Gabrielle and it is fabulous. I may just have to visit JL tomorrow and try it on grin

Lovewearingjeans Sun 30-Sep-12 18:47:20

I love MAC lipstick in Hug Me for everyday

anniewoo Sun 30-Sep-12 19:40:39

Orangy/coral lipsticks are very difficult to wear as they make teeth look more yelliw.

DonaAna Sun 30-Sep-12 20:03:33

You will get a more retro pinup / Dita von Teese look with eyeliner & red lip.
I'm a pale blonde so I do nude eye + bright lip a lot.
Really depends on what you want to do and what your personal style is like.

SugarPasteMonkey Sun 30-Sep-12 20:04:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ErrorError Sun 30-Sep-12 20:09:57

A smile grin. But really, On a special occasion, those rimmel felt tip pen type things with the balm on the other end ('Just Bitten' I think). For everyday, Creme Brulee flavoured vaseline!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now