Talk

Advanced search

Contact lenses for severe astigmatism..

(11 Posts)

Does anyone wear toric gas permeable (I think that's the name) contact lenses?
I wear soft daily disposables but my DS2 has severe astigmatism and with glasses his correction isn't that great. The optician thinks he could have drivable level vision with toric lenses, but..

how hard are they to get in and out? I have heard they are more difficult to get used to. My son has learning difficulties and autism and while I can do the cleaning of them he will have to be able to get them in and out. I think he COULD be capable with enough practice, but I'd love to know how other people have got on with them, before we have a try!

SuePurblybilt Sat 29-Sep-12 22:44:56

I have one eye like this - no idea of the severity. The box says toric! They're monthly disposables and I wear them almost every day.
They're fine to put in - they find their own place IYSWIM. I found both eyes tricky for a week or so (one normal short sighted), never had any bother since. Certainly no different to remove, you can put them in wonky - so the thicker bit is in the wrong place - but it finds its own level or you can turn it slowly.

sinkyroselee Sat 29-Sep-12 22:49:03

No different to any other contacts. As sue says, the weighted edge falls in to position once it's in.

If he can manage contacts, he can manage these!

(horribly astigmatic. My torric lenses are a life saver!)

SpicyPear Sat 29-Sep-12 23:52:02

I use 1 day acuvue moist for astigmatism and they are fab. Put them in any old way and they go into place when you blink.

ToDoList Sun 30-Sep-12 00:05:16

Medusa - do you know what his spec prescription is?

RGP lenses are probably easier to learn how to insert and remove than soft lenses, but the biggest issue is initial comfort, which isn't great. He'll need to build up wearing time by a couple of hours each day.

Liveinthepresent Sun 30-Sep-12 00:05:21

I wear the same as spicyPear and have worn soft toric lenses for years - they are great.
DH used to wear gas permeables many years ago and I believe they are not as user friendly- I think they have to be worn regularly and may be more prone to coming out. His experience was a long time ago and the technology moves fast but definitely make sure you do as much research as possible if you would be investing in non disposables .

MaMattoo Sun 30-Sep-12 00:07:49

I use monthly disposables toric lenses, and they are good. Not hard to put on or take off.

bertiebassett Sun 30-Sep-12 07:31:00

I've got bad astigmatism and I'm very shortsighted (-7). I used to wear hard lenses back in the 80's (now they were uncomfortable!) then I moved to gas permeable (as the technology improved)....now I'm on torics.

They are great! As previous posters have said they do take a bit of getting used to because they're not as squishy as the soft lenses, and the sometimes take a while to rotate round to the right way, but I love them!

In fact now I'm a bit...older smile ....and I've started needed help with reading I've had my toric lenses adjusted even further. My right eye is now for close up and my left eye for distance. Sounds weird huh? But it works! The brain adjusts the overall vision smile

suze28 Sun 30-Sep-12 09:01:22

I'm wearing gas permeable toric for a -9 prescription, astigmatism in both eyes (have done so for years now). Back in the mid 90s I tried soft toric and couldn't get on with them. Rigid lenses do take some getting used to but are worth persevering with.
I first had the old style PMMA lenses aged 11 and they were hideous at first, just as bertie said.

TiredMule Sun 30-Sep-12 09:56:10

I have quite bad astigmatism in both eyes and have worn toric lenses since I was 14. I did find them tricky to begin with as they are deeper than a normal lense and I have a very strong blink reflex so it took a bit of getting used to! But I don't know what I'd do without them now. I wear monthlies. They do have a habit of moving on my eye, which makes the vision off but they sort themselves out. Definitely worth a try!

carrielou2007 Sun 30-Sep-12 11:34:25

I've had Torics for years and years. Changed about a year ago struggled to fet enough vision as rather short sights -9.5 and -13 lenses are pretty much at limit. It took six months and kits if trials accuvue Torics oasysi or something change every two weeks best vision and comfort.

Unfortunately two weeks after having then my good eye had a detatched retina so have been in my bottle top glasses since June whilst having my ops. Consultant is hopeful will be able to wear contacts again if/when we get success smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now