Talk

Advanced search

how to improve my posture

(13 Posts)
lifeistooshorttodrinkcheapwine Fri 28-Sep-12 22:40:55

hi has anyone got any advice on what i can do to improve my posture?
i'm tall and slouch, i have long legs and tend to walk in a sloping gait. i'm round shouldered and i walk with my stomach sticking out and my head seems to lean forward rather than sitting upright on my shoulders - i feel like i look freakish. I'm practising walking with my shoulders back and bust forward and stomach tucked in but i feel so self conscious about it - are there any exercises i can do to help with this?

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Fri 28-Sep-12 23:55:56

Alexander Technique. Not exercises as such, but a way of learning to use your body in a way that is light and energising and not damaging to your joints.

You take one to one lessons and re-learn how to perform basic activities.

Some random Youtube results here for starters - but best to look for a teacher in your area.
Basically, your head weighs a good stone and the key to good posture is holding it lightly atop your spine, and appreciating that your spine goes from inside your skull down to your coccyx.

Alternatively, I've been having good tesults from Katy Bowman's information on biomechanics - bought her app called Down There and it's helped my back no end.

Springhasarrived Sat 29-Sep-12 04:38:06

Pilates. Strengthen up your core and correct posture wont make you ache.

Personally I have also found swimming breaststroke has improved my round shoulders enormously.

CountryBelle Sat 29-Sep-12 11:29:28

Another vote for pilates! Im only beginning my journey but have seen AMAZING results in a friend!

Hopefully Sat 29-Sep-12 13:37:01

Am I the only one who sat up straighter while reading this thread? grin

Try to imagine pulling your belly button towards your spine every single time you breathe out, every time you remember, all day every day. It really helps.

OhSoSimple Sat 29-Sep-12 13:58:45

Apparently is it M&S(?) are launching underwear to correct posture. Goodness knows what it will look like or how it works...(that's obviously the lazy alternative to Pilates!)

mumat39 Sat 29-Sep-12 20:04:00

This is such a good question OP. I could do with some help too.

CountryBelle, I'm interested in Pilates and just wondering what sort of classes you went to? And also what results you've seen? Your post makes me feel more keen to start but I'd like to know a bit more if you have a moment to reply.

Thanks so much.

SomethingOnce Sat 29-Sep-12 21:46:09

And a third for Pilates! Pilates is everywhere so unless you live somewhere really remote I bet it'll be easy to find a class. It will really improve your core strength and balance, and posture.

IMO it would be worth doing a cardio class as well, to get your heart and lungs going, and complement the slower strength work of Pilates.

Also, I wonder, do you slouch because you feel self-conscious about being tall?

lifeistooshorttodrinkcheapwine Sat 29-Sep-12 23:57:54

ooh thanks everyone for your suggestions - i will do some checking out of alexander and pilates
Something yes i did when i was in my teens - i used to get teased about being "lanky" its now become a habit that i dont even know i'm doing and i almost feel like my bones in my spine and neck are set in this position.

CountryBelle Sun 30-Sep-12 11:15:49

Mumat39 - my friend has been going to pilatea regularly now for about 2 years. She looks so much "longer and leaner". Hard to describe but her posture is improved and she just carries herself so well.

Ive only started this month but really enjoying the classes. I am definitely NOT a fitness enthusiast but u r encouraged to work at ur own pace. the moves r difficult, so even though ur not breaking a sweat u feel the effects. i am amazed by how unflexible i am! Hopefully i will improve but itll take a long time!

To me the classes r my special treat - the one time each week where i do everything in a controlled manner, think about what im doing, be more aware of my body and take my time.

Essay over!

MacyGracy Sun 30-Sep-12 11:57:36

Another vote for pilates here, I have been doing it for a year and has improved my posture no end. Pilates is for posture problems!

I also do spinning and body pump to feel like I am getting a workout.

MacyGracy Sun 30-Sep-12 11:58:56

Oh and getting a good teacher with small classes is best as they can correct your technique. Once you go to a few you will get to know who is a good teacher!

hedgehogpatronus Sun 30-Sep-12 12:32:33

Not exercise-related as such, but make sure you're in a good bra that fits well and hoiks you up. I got properly fitted a few months or so ago and I was amazed at how much straighter I stood without even thinking about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now