Talk

Advanced search

Idiots guide to mineral make up

(12 Posts)
louloutheshamed Fri 28-Sep-12 17:10:51

Keep hearing people goIng on about bare minerals etc, but am a total ignoramus.

Please could someone enlighten me with a basic summary of what they do, pros and cons etc?

louloutheshamed Fri 28-Sep-12 18:22:26

Anyone?

PrimaBallerina Fri 28-Sep-12 18:31:56

I use BM and like it. I find it lasts longer than standard foundation, blends better and I don't get such a shiny nose. It's a bit air-brushy I think.

People on here speak highly Lily Lilo and they do cheap samples on their website so you could try it out on the cheap.

twolittlemonkeys Fri 28-Sep-12 18:36:44

I don't know loads about it as am a recent convert to it (though don't wear make up all the time). It seems to do a great job of soaking up the oil (I know that sounds gross but most makeup slides off my face, and I don't have oily skin, honest!) The technique involves getting a bit on your brush, tapping off the excess and applying in a swirly motion, building up to the coverage you want.

I got Lily Lolo samples, they are great and last ages - I ordered 3 different shades to try, plus the mineral veil - still haven't finished using them but they are fab.

Cons - it can get a bit messy tapping excess powder off the brush - rather than aiming it into the pot, I tap it on my dressing table then sweep the excess back onto the brush IYSWIM?

louloutheshamed Fri 28-Sep-12 19:43:56

Ok thanks. The thing that I worry about is that when I put normal powder on it can sometimes look a bit cakey but that might be down to my technique more than anything?

azazello Fri 28-Sep-12 19:47:58

I have very dry skin and find that the mineral makeup collects neatly in any dry patches, goes cakey and really really emphasises lines. I've given up on it.

wonderstuff Fri 28-Sep-12 19:55:49

Im a recent bm convert. I would go to a dept store and get them to make you up so you can see - I love bm warmth, but would have made a hash of it had i not been shown, Best price for bm i've found was salonskincare.co.uk

hermioneweasley Fri 28-Sep-12 20:38:48

Loulou, minerals aren't powder so you would have to put a lot on to look cakey. After a year I am an utter convert. Just makes you look like you have brilliant skin. Bare minerals doa starter kit for about £40 or lily lolo samples will be enough to see if you get in with it. You tube videos to show demo technique and I'd recommend a primer too.

louloutheshamed Sat 29-Sep-12 09:13:45

Ok good tip will have a look at bm counter and you tube? How is is not powder? What is it?

wonderstuff Sat 29-Sep-12 09:22:34

I second the need for primer, makes a massive difference. Its purer than powdered make up - you can sleep in Bare Minerals and it'll be fine - they actually seem to improve your skin. I never used to wear make-up and now I do almost every day - love it.

louloutheshamed Sat 29-Sep-12 09:37:37

Any primer recommendations? ATM am using a cheap Mua one but that is with a liquid foundation.

wonderstuff Sat 29-Sep-12 09:43:07

I like the BM one, but I've never used anything else, no idea how it compares.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now