Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Oh yea, oh yea, oh yea... assemble the S&B collective; Waxing v Epilators

(12 Posts)

I have to confess that I'm a long time leg shaver but in the past few months have been waxing my fluffy legs instead, which I prefer.

Now following a conversation with my lovely hairdresser and her espousal of the wonders of epilating (she does her underarms = hardcore) she also got her hair caught in it and had to cut a piece out but I'm ignoring that H&S hazard I'm wondering whether I'm missing a trick?

Dollydowser Fri 28-Sep-12 14:31:53

How high is your pain threshold? I have an epilator but only used it a few times many years ago, I shudder when I look at it. But modern ones have moved on, so I'm told. My next door neighbour even does her forearms with hers.

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Fri 28-Sep-12 14:36:34

I prefer epilators, no stickiness, no appointments (it is almost impossible to wax yourself properly), more hairs removed, quicker, less allergies (for me, if you allergic to metal of course it is probably not the best), and if your hair are rebelling you can pass as many time as you want on the same spot. It is also cheaper, my epilator is 10 years +, still working.

You have to get used to the pain as it is worse than waxing at first, but after a while you don't noticed the difference.

crazybutterflylady Fri 28-Sep-12 14:36:46

I used an epilator for a year or so...they're handy to have and are better than they used to be but I still much prefer waxing. For me the pain is prolonged with an epilator. Would rather just get it over with in one rip!

SaraBellumHertz Fri 28-Sep-12 14:44:50

I use an epilator on my legs but get my underarms and biking line waxed.

I find if I wax my legs it grows back very quickly and I don't have the time to be waxing them every 10 days so the epilator is far more convenient.

NettoSuperstar Fri 28-Sep-12 15:36:59

I love my epilator and don't find it painful now I'm used to it.
It's much more convenient and cheaper.

Mmm... this is interesting. Thanks all you hairless and smooth people. On the basis that getting to waxing appts is a PITA I might try epilating. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good one?

SpicyPear Fri 28-Sep-12 16:33:05

Just to add a voice of dissent, I hate my epilator. I can deal with the pain but I find it takes forever and the hairs go everywhere. It hasn't seen the light of day for ages. Maybe I am just particularly hairy though...

NorbertDentressangle Fri 28-Sep-12 16:35:40

I've been epilating my legs since before the summer but TBH I don't think I'm getting very good results (although that could be down to me not quite doing it right maybe??)

WeightyKaty Fri 28-Sep-12 16:40:27

I am going down the IPL route - through a cheapie on Groupon no more waxing I cannot wait I can't stand the pain so epilator would never ever be for me!

fertilityFTW Fri 28-Sep-12 16:42:03

I can't stand mine either <shudder>
I find it hurts like hell and I have to go over the same spots over and over.
Now I've started using it just to clean up any leftover hair after I've done my waxing (I wipe the wax off the skin first of course!) - the skin is a bit numb after the wax so the epilation doesn't hurt as much and since it's just the odd hair it doesn't take too long.

TheProvincialLady Fri 28-Sep-12 16:49:20

I you are in any way prone to ingrown hairs, DO NOT use an epilator, even once. They rip the hairs out from any old direction and cause ingrown hairs. I rue the day I used one. I haven't waxed or epilated in ten years and still get the feckers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now