Talk

Advanced search

What to wear to interview if not a suit? (Oh, and overweight!).

(28 Posts)
aufaniae Thu 27-Sep-12 16:14:30

Hoping to get an interview with a couple of companies that aren't really suit-wearing places. (Creative types!)

I've always worn suits to interviews in the past, but I reckon it might not actually be appropriate this time round.

But I'm stumped! Can you help?

I'm a size 16-18 - I've recently put on weight and can't get into my old clothes! Also ... um .. am pregnant! (fairly early days though, bump just showing).

I had a massive stomach pre-pregnancy anyway (regularly get offered seats on trains), also have huge boobs so lots of styles just don't suit me. (e.g. anything which is meant to have a defined waist, or which cuts me in two at the waist. Also anything showing cleavage looks obscene on me!)

Usually at an interview I'll wear a trouser suit with a 3-button jacket (2-button ones are usually too short and look wrong on me).

I do like wearing dresses but nothing too figure hugging!

If any one has any ideas I'd be really gratefull, I'm stumped! TIA smile

alittlebitshy Thu 27-Sep-12 16:32:07

M and s have some nice dresses atm.

I am size 16 and have found a few lovely ones for my new job - things i would have thought would ahve looked hideous on my short fat frame look quite nice and more flattering than the jeans i usually live in!

I wore a skit suit for my interview. A friend persuaded me to try it (pencil skirt) and it looked surprisingly good....

DorsetKnob Thu 27-Sep-12 16:34:39

I wore trousers and a tunic top for most of mine.

Frontpaw Thu 27-Sep-12 16:34:41

I always wear trousers - a really good, tailored plain pair that for well. Then I match with a top - usually plain and 'flowy' - and fitted jacket and heels.

Frontpaw Thu 27-Sep-12 16:34:57

That FIT well. Doh!

brass Thu 27-Sep-12 16:35:49

this?

Craftyone Thu 27-Sep-12 16:39:24

Try Monsoon as they have some flattering and smart styles for the fuller figure. I think their look will suit a 'creative types ' place.

DorisIsWaiting Thu 27-Sep-12 17:15:35

If big boobs try a dress from pepperberry

Mumelie Thu 27-Sep-12 17:50:55

I wore a dress from Phase Eight for my last interview. It was jersey fitted and purple/black/white swirls! With a little black fitted jacket, and black heels. I too was overweight with big boobs and tummy. Got the job so cant have looked too bad!

aufaniae Thu 27-Sep-12 21:04:39

brass I really like the style of that, and would have definitely worn it a few years back, however sadly I can't get away with anything like that now.

My stomach is about the same size as an 8 months pregnant person (this nothing to do with actually pregnancy, this is just the shape I am!). I am not exaggerating about it btw - I gave some clothes to a friend who was 8 months pregnant as they had got too tight for me and they looked fine on her!

If I wore a dress like that it would really show off my massive stomach, sadly sad I need to disguise it a bit.

aufaniae Thu 27-Sep-12 21:05:21

Thanks for the link though, I like looking at dresses grin

travailtotravel Thu 27-Sep-12 21:26:19

I have the pregnant tummy and am not ... and find dresses do not do us any favours at all ... I always go to interviews in a suit - jacket that covers bump and either a pencil skirt of trousers with loose "under suiter". I also think that you will always be well presented in a suit, no matter what the company or type. Uniform maybe, but it works on eveyrone and you can get creative with your accessories.

I mix and match my suits anyway so they don't always look to samey samey.

aufaniae Thu 27-Sep-12 21:52:32

Love Monsoon craftyone! Can't afford it atm though sad

When's the next sale I wonder?! grin

Or ebay perhaps ... hmm ...

aufaniae Thu 27-Sep-12 21:54:40

I really don't know about a suit. It's what I have always work to interviews. But one of the companies actually says in their ad "there are no suits here!" when describing their company.

aufaniae Thu 27-Sep-12 21:54:53

*worn not work!

tigerdriverII Thu 27-Sep-12 22:00:28

Don't go for a suit. Wear a dress, jersey is fine as long as it fits, so get the fit not the size. Decent jacket, probably black, tights, nice shoes, look groomed but not suity. Look like yourself and feel comfortable.

FamiliesShareGerms Thu 27-Sep-12 22:05:38

Jersey wrap dress?

Sparklegeek Thu 27-Sep-12 22:07:51

My last interview was for my return to work after 12 years being a SAHM so my wardrobe wasn't exactly brimming over with worky clothes! I wore black trousers, fitted white t shirt, bright fitted cardy & a skinny patent belt over the top. Plus a scarf.

Got the job so they weren't too put off!

aufaniae Thu 27-Sep-12 22:46:11

Thanks for the replies, but I really do look like I'm 8 months pregnant!

I can't wear anything with a defined waist e.g. fitted shirt and belt, sadly.

Wrap dress will also accentuate my mahoosive belly!

Cinders22 Thu 27-Sep-12 22:56:58

I had a similar issue for an interview recently. I am trying to lose weight so did not want to spend a lot of money on new clothes when I am hoping to get back into the stuff I have and came across this www.clothingattesco.com/dresses/f+f-limited-edition-side-knot-jersey-dress/invt/jg221006/

I bought it in a bigger size than I am and it sits loosely and looks really nice. I wore a necklace to dress it up and wore a jacket. I would recommend trying it, I saw it online and thought it would look awful but in desperation I went to try a few on and this was by far the most flattering.

By the way I hope the link works okay, it is the first time I have posted a link!

EntWife Thu 27-Sep-12 23:02:10

i find wrap dresses, especially the ones that phase eight do will usually hide a multitude of sins including a tummy. if you are nervous though get thee to M&S and get a pair of their magic control high waisted tights. They are fabulous for smoothing out lumps and bumps.

zandy Thu 27-Sep-12 23:13:38

These will probably be a bit old for you, generally, but you might find the odd thing to your taste.

[http://www.box2.co.uk/plus-size-ladies-clothes/outfits/kasbah-black-grey-jersey-stripe-waistcoat-6038.aspx]

zandy Thu 27-Sep-12 23:14:00

[http://www.box2.co.uk/plus-size-ladies-clothes/outfits/kasbah-black-grey-jersey-stripe-waistcoat-6038.aspx]

zandy Thu 27-Sep-12 23:14:16

www.box2.co.uk/plus-size-ladies-clothes/outfits/kasbah-black-grey-jersey-stripe-waistcoat-6038.aspx

aufaniae Thu 27-Sep-12 23:21:26

Cinders thanks for the link - nice dress and very reasonably priced - but unfortunately I really can't wear a dress like that.

I have to do something to disguise my tummy. A dress like that will display it to everyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now